Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Some expert called Kieron M currently on Talksport

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm certainly not courting scapegoating and agree all that can should pay what they can, or share what they can, for the greater good.

I guess my bug bear is here was an opportunity to right many of the wrongs of the modern game and show a united way forward to show that sport DOES transcend boundaries and can be a huge benefit to the overall psyche of a country but they've failed in my eyes.

The owners, in the main have failed - many through silence. The players, in the main have also failed - through silence or not forcing a response from their union the PFA. The governing bodies have failed - through astounding ignorance and hubris. And the sport in general for me has made itself look incredibly out of touch and is at risk of losing lots of long standing fans because of it.

I'm not sure what people expect though really. :shrug:

Football has never ever been well run. You can go back through history of the game and it is littered with poor practice. The community aspects, if one is being really cynical are a byproduct of people wanting to watch and play football, not through some altruistic ideology that a football club is for the greater good of it's community. The community makes the football club, not the other way round.

Not sure why the players have failed? In what other profession would you approach your employer and offer to take a pay cut? Surely this has to come from the employer to say we need you to take this pay cut and the employees take a decision on that. The clubs don't seem to have any real problem in doing that to the non-paying staff, but it is down to them to do it to the playing staff, not sure why the players are responsible for dictating what their employer should or shouldn't do in this crisis.

You'd be a bit pissed off as a player that you take a cut to keep the club a float, then once the new season is underway your club manages to find £30m for a new striker on £100k per week. Make no mistake, that is football in a nutshell.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
On top of this they are paying 45% of their income in income tax and so are contributing to the NHS and the public purse.

Better than this, even - add in the National Insurance and the player/club are actually handing over 60.8% of the player's quoted income to the government.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A pay cut for players will benefit the owners first and hurt HMRC in lost tax take and although you'd hope that all the money the players would have got will go to other workers at their clubs, it's rather easy to be cynical. Better perhaps would be for players to donate some of their net pay to a central fund from which staff can be paid.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not sure what people expect though really. :shrug:

Football has never ever been well run. You can go back through history of the game and it is littered with poor practice. The community aspects, if one is being really cynical are a byproduct of people wanting to watch and play football, not through some altruistic ideology that a football club is for the greater good of it's community. The community makes the football club, not the other way round.

Not sure why the players have failed? In what other profession would you approach your employer and offer to take a pay cut? Surely this has to come from the employer to say we need you to take this pay cut and the employees take a decision on that. The clubs don't seem to have any real problem in doing that to the non-paying staff, but it is down to them to do it to the playing staff, not sure why the players are responsible for dictating what their employer should or shouldn't do in this crisis.

You'd be a bit pissed off as a player that you take a cut to keep the club a float, then once the new season is underway your club manages to find £30m for a new striker on £100k per week. Make no mistake, that is football in a nutshell.
Id love to know the percentage of people, across the nation, who are demanding a player pay cut, have actually taken 20% off their own wages to help others?

'well I don't have footballer money'
'You have compared to the fella living in a tent by the Clock Tower'.

Jul 7, 2003
The pharmaceutical companies who are price gouging at present equally and making additional profits on the back of the pandemic aren't getting the criticism levelled at footballers, nor are the short sellers and arbitragers in the financial markets who are making sums that are far exceed those of the likes of Dale Stephens. Why is this the case?

So to try to justify your argument you highlight Pharma companies who are rushing around to get tests and antidotes ready as the enemy. Why not pick on supermarkets who have all published greatly increased profits?:ffsparr:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So to try to justify your argument you highlight Pharma companies who are rushing around to get tests and antidotes ready as the enemy. Why not pick on supermarkets who have all published greatly increased profits?:ffsparr:

Nope, I'm talking about the generic suppliers of paracetomol etc who have increased the wholesale price of asprin, paracetomal etc by 30%. I'm with you totally in terms of retailers who have also been exploiting that market too and the utter twats on social media auction and other sites who are doing the same.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
If clubs are furloughing non playing staff, why can't they include players in this? Is the employer not entitled to do this?

I think it's absolutely disgusting that these players are taking full wages when the chefs, cleaners, etc are furloughed. They should be ashamed of themselves. So, yes these players are living in a moral vacuum, they are so out of touch with reality.

Totally right

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If clubs are furloughing non playing staff, why can't they include players in this? Is the employer not entitled to do this?

I think it's absolutely disgusting that these players are taking full wages when the chefs, cleaners, etc are furloughed. They should be ashamed of themselves. So, yes these players are living in a moral vacuum, they are so out of touch with reality.

I agree with your sentiment, but I suspect that footballers aren't included in the government scheme.
If the football clubs make use of the scheme and keep their staff employed then fair enough.It's probably the most sensible thing to do.

However, should any clubs sack staff, whilst paying the players full whack, then that is a totally different matter.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I agree with your sentiment, but I suspect that footballers aren't included in the government scheme.
If the football clubs make use of the scheme and keep their staff employed then fair enough.It's probably the most sensible thing to do.

However, should any clubs sack staff, whilst paying the players full whack, then that is a totally different matter.

I thought the Government said they would pay 80% of wages to businesses that couldn't afford to pay their staff wages. If clubs can't pay non-playing staff, how on earth can they afford to be paying playing staff? They should be putting everyone on furlough or none at all.

The 4 (so far) clubs who have furloughed non-playing staff and continue paying full wages to players have really let themselves down here. It's a disgrace.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think that pay cuts for millionaire earners should be across the board, or better than that tax increases as it would increase funding for public services such as the NHS.

I think your expertise is on football finance matters........... That’s what people are expecting your comments on EP. If you are just generally commenting on what’s fair... well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I thought the Government said they would pay 80% of wages to businesses that couldn't afford to pay their staff wages. If clubs can't pay non-playing staff, how on earth can they afford to be paying playing staff? They should be putting everyone on furlough or none at all.

The 4 (so far) clubs who have furloughed non-playing staff and continue paying full wages to players have really let themselves down here. It's a disgrace.

There is a maximum salary they will pay.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Id love to know the percentage of people, across the nation, who are demanding a player pay cut, have actually taken 20% off their own wages to help others?

'well I don't have footballer money'
'You have compared to the fella living in a tent by the Clock Tower'.

This.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Is anybody on here moaning how the Albion has done anything?

From what I can see, Tony Bloom has said he will cover expenses for now, but in the last 24 hours he accepted help from Barber, Potter and Ashworth, via wage reductions for 3 months.

Although Barber hasn't ruled anything out, he also hasn't said we will go down the furlough route either.

I hope the next step for us is for our playing staff to take a wage cut that covers the wages of the non playing staff as and when necessary, and hopefully means we have a fair few months of us looking after our own to come.

I think Brighton has been exemplary so far, and long may it continue.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Paul Barber, Dan Ashworth, and Graham Potter have agreed a reduction in their wages for April, May and June.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18353575.coronavirus-key-albion-agree-voluntary-pay-cuts/

[tweet]1245694563467042819[/tweet]

As has been said, footballers are an easy target. I never read that television presenters, actors, musicians, singers, and bankers should take a pay cut.

Actors, musicians, singers are nearly all self-employed. They are all losing out big time. I’m sure Elton John and Mick Jagger will somehow get through this but they aren’t the norm in the industry

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think your expertise is on football finance matters........... That’s what people are expecting your comments on EP. If you are just generally commenting on what’s fair... well.

Point taken Q but my comments were on the lines of it is inconsistent to expect the football industry to be singled out for a response that isn't being taken by other industries. If there is a reason why football is unique in terms of how it should respond I'll happily take that on board.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Point taken Q but my comments were on the lines of it is inconsistent to expect the football industry to be singled out for a response that isn't being taken by other industries. If there is a reason why football is unique in terms of how it should respond I'll happily take that on board.

I think it’s that clubs are forever banging on about ‘community’ but several seem to be missing that point.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Actors, musicians, singers are nearly all self-employed. They are all losing out big time. I’m sure Elton John and Mick Jagger will somehow get through this but they aren’t the norm in the industry

Do you think they are paying their hair stylists, make up artists, roadies etc?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here