Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Do you give too foreign aid adverts on TV

smartferndale

Mar 21, 2013
The answer is to donate to a charity with a proven track record and which has a low % of admin costs. I accept that many nations have corrupt officials but if 66% of what we gives arrives to those who really need it then it is worthwhile. Most churches have links with groups in Africa and this may be the safest way of ensuring money reaches those needing it.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I give £100 a year to help educate children in India, its very rewarding especially i get a occasional letter of thanks.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I try and donate when i can. I wish i could do more but i do already do a fair few monthly direct debits (about 10). I feel like i am very fortunate to be healthy and live in a fairly wealthy county. I don't go hungry and have a roof over my head. So i would like to do my little bit. I always think if i don't donate and am classed in the top 5% of the worlds wealthiest, who will.

I don't care where the charity is based or where the money goes. Whether here in the UK or somewhere else, a poor child is a poor child. If anything i feel like a poor child here in the UK will have a brighter future here than a poorer 3rd world country.

I usually donate to childrens or animal charities. I would love to help them all but unfortunately you have to be selective as i can't afford to do them all.

I have just been thinking about the charities i donate to and to be honest i think the majority are UK based. Thanks to [MENTION=11191]Pretty pink fairy[/MENTION] i may start another DD for an overseas one :thumbsup:

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Do you know, on this occasion I really can't see anything racist or cowardly in the OP's post. Surely I'm not missing something. Now, some of his other contributions however.........!

'Coward', I base on personal experience.
Racist. It's Das Reich, he's dog whistling aid for brown people. You don't imagine there's not a racist element to his post, do you?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We sponsored children in Africa for many years. We stopped a year or two ago due to financial constraints. Thanks for the reminder PPF I will get that back up and running.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I wonder if Pretty Pink Fairy will question the foreign aid of a nurse/doctor from Nigeria (or what ever country), if he is in the unfortunate position of requiring hospital treatment. Maybe donations of any kind helped that person have water, be educated, fed or whatever so that they could be come a Doctor/Nurse.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
A friends wife is Ugandan. She organises clothing and medicine packages(which we give to) to villages surrounding her families area. This is done 'under the counter' as anything that is officially sent, tends to go walkies. I'm not saying Africans are corrupt, but let's just say there is a very active barter system in place.
No, I do not give to foreign aid charities, I do give to animal, heart and cancer charities here.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Coward', I base on personal experience.
Racist. It's Das Reich, he's dog whistling aid for brown people. You don't imagine there's not a racist element to his post, do you?

I am amazed by the number of 'genuine' replies to this thread. :shrug:

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I always donate to the DEC appeal after a disaster abroad. I do not donate to other foreign aid projects. All of my subscription donations are for UK based charities.

Jan 30, 2008
nothing to be ashamed of if you give or don't, simple question getting spun by the usual suspects , stay safe all
regards
DF

Soylent Blue

Banned
Mar 13, 2019
When it comes to philanthropy I prefer to volunteer rather than donate, each to their own, but at the present time I thnk the former is much needed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here