Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Bread Recipe's

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
All

Although flour and especially bread flour, has been hard to get, I am reliably informed that the supply chain is coming good and it will become increasingly available in the shops in the next week or so.

I love my bread making. Cathartic and fun whilst being very good for the body and soul.

This is my APE bread recipe which, is pretty simple to follow and make. Feel free to substitute sourdough starter to give it that even nuttier taste, but I would still recommend including the the dried yeast as well. Also, if you have fresh yeast remember that 14gm is the approximate equivalent to 7gm of dry yeast.

Autolysed Pain Exceptionalle (or APE bread)
.......so easy and so tasty

Ingredients:

500gm Strong White Bread Flour
12gm sea salt
7gm sachet dry yeast mix
360ml of ice cold water

Method

1.Place flour and salt into mixing bowl and stir for 30 seconds to evenly distribute.

2.Add dry yeast to salt/flour mixture and stir for 30 seconds to evenly distribute.

3.Gradually add the iced water and mix ingredients for two minutes (using dough hook and electric mixer) or four minutes (if mixing by hand).

4.Cover bowl with damp towel or lightly oiled tin foil and place in fridge overnight.

5.In the morning remove dough mixture from the fridge and aggressively mix the ingredients for twenty minutes (using dough hook and electric mixer) or thirty minutes by hand. Recover the dpugh mixture with damp towel or lightly oiled tin foil.

6.Leave to rest for 1 hour in kitchen.

7.Place hot water in a baking tray and put the dough bowl into the hot water tray for two hours to warm up the bread dough mixture.

8.Roll out the risen flour (it should be at least twice the size of the original dough mix) and make into a round ball. Place on a floured tray or tin then with a lame or sharp knife cut three full incisions about 1 to 2cm deep across the top of the bread, cover top with a tablespoon of sifted flour and cover the loaf with a damp towel.

9.After 1/2 hour set the oven to 230 Deg C (normal convection) or 220 Deg C (Fan).

10.When oven is up to temperature put tray and dough into oven for 10 minutes.

11.After 10 minutes drop temperature to 200 Deg C (normal convection) or 190 Deg C (Fan) and cook for a further 20 minutes.

12.When the bread is brown and crusty (and hollow sounding when you tap the underneath of the loaf), remove from oven and place on wire grill to cool. Outside of the bread should be golden brown in colour.

13.When the bread is fully cool, slice, add butter and enjoy!

Any other tried and trusted recipes out there?

Stay safe

TNBA

TTF

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
M & S Large White Farmhouse. Just one ingredient - bread. Undo little tape at the top of packaging and it's good to go. Quick, convenient and tasty. My favourite recipe and already sliced.

I don't usually bake bread as you can tell by my weak attempt at humour above, but I may just give this a try which I saw online today. Three cups of self raising flour, half a cup of sugar and a bottle of beer. Pop ingredients in to a greased tin and bake for 40 minutes at 190°c. Looks delicious.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In the 1970s, at the time of the oil crisis I think, there was also a shortage of bread. The government then sent out a recipe for home made bread which didn't involve kneading, or eve hanging around for a long time - it was dead easy (and certainly didn't take 13 steps!). I used it to make bread at the time - but stopped (when 'normal' bread came back again) because it was so f***n' delicious that we just used to scoff it as soon as it came out of the oven - it was impossible not to! Sadly, over the last 45 years I have lost the recipe.

Anybody able to help out?

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
In the 1970s, at the time of the oil crisis I think, there was also a shortage of bread. The government then sent out a recipe for home made bread which didn't involve kneading, or eve hanging around for a long time - it was dead easy (and certainly didn't take 13 steps!). I used it to make bread at the time - but stopped (when 'normal' bread came back again) because it was so f***n' delicious that we just used to scoff it as soon as it came out of the oven - it was impossible not to! Sadly, over the last 45 years I have lost the recipe.

Anybody able to help out?
My gran used to make this - the Grant Loaf.

The Grant Loaf

• 450g strong wholemeal flour
  • 1 tsp brown sugar such as Muscovado (1 tablespoon of honey or treacle may be used instead)
  • 2 teaspoons of salt
  • Yeast
  • 400-450ml of lukewarm /hand-hot water

Begin by warming the flour in your oven for about 10 minutes on the lowest heat.

Place the warmed flour into a bowl and add the salt, sugar and yeast. Mix these together, make a small well in the centre and gradually add the water, using your hands or a wooden spoon to combine all the ingredients into a dough. At this point the dough may seem quite wet, which is normal for a Doris Grant loaf.

Move the dough to a floured pastry board and stretch it out into an oblong. Take one side, fold it into the centre and do the same for the other side, turn it over and repeat. Place the dough into a well greased tin, cover with a sprinkling of flour and leave to rise for 30–40 minutes in a warm place, or for about an hour at room temperature.

Pre-heat the oven to 200°C400F/Gas 6 and bake the bread for 30–40 minutes. The bread should sound hollow when tapped if it is fully cooked.
Return the bread to the oven (out of the tin) for a further 5–10 minutes to crisp up the base and sides. Leave to cool on a wire rack.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's not flour that's hard to come by, it's yeast.

I imagine you can buy gold for less right now.

Not in Brighton it's not, we've been looking for flour for two weeks now.

There's no need for yeast to make bread. I've just made some sour dough bread with my last bag of flour (and I made soda bread a couple of weeks ago).

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
All

Although flour and especially bread flour, has been hard to get, I am reliably informed that the supply chain is coming good and it will become increasingly available in the shops in the next week or so.

I love my bread making. Cathartic and fun whilst being very good for the body and soul.

This is my APE bread recipe which, is pretty simple to follow and make. Feel free to substitute sourdough starter to give it that even nuttier taste, but I would still recommend including the the dried yeast as well. Also, if you have fresh yeast remember that 14gm is the approximate equivalent to 7gm of dry yeast.

Autolysed Pain Exceptionalle (or APE bread)
.......so easy and so tasty

Ingredients:

500gm Strong White Bread Flour
12gm sea salt
7gm sachet dry yeast mix
360ml of ice cold water

Method

1.Place flour and salt into mixing bowl and stir for 30 seconds to evenly distribute.

2.Add dry yeast to salt/flour mixture and stir for 30 seconds to evenly distribute.

3.Gradually add the iced water and mix ingredients for two minutes (using dough hook and electric mixer) or four minutes (if mixing by hand).

4.Cover bowl with damp towel or lightly oiled tin foil and place in fridge overnight.

5.In the morning remove dough mixture from the fridge and aggressively mix the ingredients for twenty minutes (using dough hook and electric mixer) or thirty minutes by hand. Recover the dpugh mixture with damp towel or lightly oiled tin foil.

6.Leave to rest for 1 hour in kitchen.

7.Place hot water in a baking tray and put the dough bowl into the hot water tray for two hours to warm up the bread dough mixture.

8.Roll out the risen flour (it should be at least twice the size of the original dough mix) and make into a round ball. Place on a floured tray or tin then with a lame or sharp knife cut three full incisions about 1 to 2cm deep across the top of the bread, cover top with a tablespoon of sifted flour and cover the loaf with a damp towel.

9.After 1/2 hour set the oven to 230 Deg C (normal convection) or 220 Deg C (Fan).

10.When oven is up to temperature put tray and dough into oven for 10 minutes.

11.After 10 minutes drop temperature to 200 Deg C (normal convection) or 190 Deg C (Fan) and cook for a further 20 minutes.

12.When the bread is brown and crusty (and hollow sounding when you tap the underneath of the loaf), remove from oven and place on wire grill to cool. Outside of the bread should be golden brown in colour.

13.When the bread is fully cool, slice, add butter and enjoy!

Any other tried and trusted recipes out there?

Stay safe

TNBA

TTF

Sounds good ! I bake my own but don't have a special recipe, I try to use a combination of bread flours to come up with something not too wholemeal and dry but not boring and white. Ran out of all my brown and softgrain flour about the time of the initial orgy of panic shopping and have yet to see anything other than Plain Flour briefly back in the shops....

Because there are only two of us here I put my 800g dough in to 8 small sub roll silicon moulds ( Ali Express from China) and so freeze most of them for freshness. I think bread making can be incredibly difficult if you get something wrong but marvellous when it works, keep it simple and have a ratio of 5-3 dry ingredients to wet and you can't go wrong.

Ps, Someone bought me the Paul Hollywood : Bread book a few years back and never got past the first recipe for a Bloomer loaf... you supposedly let the bread have it's second prove and when big and puffy slash the top three times with a sharp knife then whack in the oven..... tried this three times, when you slash the top with a knife all the air collapses out of it and you end up with a Naan bread.... tosser. I was going to give the book to a charity shop but I thought it would not be very charitable for the poor sap that buys it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes, same with bicarb which is being used heavily as a cleaning product as well as for making soda bread.

I have some Bicarb and some yeast, it is flour that is missing in Worthing. I'm trying not to shop more than twice a week as obviously its a gamble the more times you leave your house but, have not seen any form of bread Flour for 2 weeks +

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I have some Bicarb and some yeast, it is flour that is missing in Worthing. I'm trying not to shop more than twice a week as obviously its a gamble the more times you leave your house but, have not seen any form of bread Flour for 2 weeks +

I went to Tesco in Durrington (ie the big one) around 7:30am on Saturday morning (walked straight in - no queue) and there was plenty of plain and SR flour - I picked up a bag of each.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went to Tesco in Durrington (ie the big one) around 7:30am on Saturday morning (walked straight in - no queue) and there was plenty of plain and SR flour - I picked up a bag of each.

Handy ! Talk is that the supermarkets are lifting restrictions on most items now but there was absolutely no flours at Asda Ferring yesterday.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Handy ! Talk is that the supermarkets are lifting restrictions on most items now but there was absolutely no flours at Asda Ferring yesterday.

If you're still looking, I saw on a FB Worthing food group that West Station News, by WW Station has most things to either pick up or deliver. They posted this a day or so back:

"In West Station News in West Worthing you can find:

Pasta noodles rice, tomatoes tin, fruit tin, passata, flour, long life milk and bread, free-range large eggs, beaked beans, gluten free products, vegan cheese and milk, long life bread. Disinfectant and cleaning products. Toilet paper if you go earlier.

We can deliver for you for a min order of £20, free of charge. Payment over the phone.
West Station News
12 Station Parade
BN11 4SS Worthing, just in front of West Worthing Station.
Tel.01903248789

Order must to arrive by 12.30 and delivery is between 1-3pm."

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you're still looking, I saw on a FB Worthing food group that West Station News, by WW Station has most things to either pick up or deliver. They posted this a day or so back:

"In West Station News in West Worthing you can find:

Pasta noodles rice, tomatoes tin, fruit tin, passata, flour, long life milk and bread, free-range large eggs, beaked beans, gluten free products, vegan cheese and milk, long life bread. Disinfectant and cleaning products. Toilet paper if you go earlier.

We can deliver for you for a min order of £20, free of charge. Payment over the phone.
West Station News
12 Station Parade
BN11 4SS Worthing, just in front of West Worthing Station.
Tel.01903248789

Order must to arrive by 12.30 and delivery is between 1-3pm."

Thanks Bozza, I'm 400 yards away from there !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here