Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Sky issue - Connecting sky multi room box to old HD ready TV that does not have HDMI

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Hi folks.

Can anyone please advise on this connection issue?

Just purchased a new LG 4k smart TV for the lounge which is connected to a Sky HD box. Sky Q is on order but for obvious and totally understandable reasons it won't be arriving any time soon.

However, in the interim the old 32in Philips 32PF5320/10 HD ready TV is being moved to the bedroom ( https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/32PF5320_10/32-inch-lcd-hd-ready/support). I have the sky multi room HD mini box in the bedroom currently connected to a small LG LCD TV that may have HDMI connection but has an awful viewing angle. Hence the plan was to replace this with the Philips TV which has a pretty impressive picture.

However, the key issue with the Phillips is that is does not have any HDMI connection but rather it is DVI. When previously connected to the Sky HD in the lounge this was not an issue as I used and HDMI to DVI lead for the video and to get the audio I used the DVI audio in connection into the Sky box's audio L & R (red and yellow) . This worked fine.

Of course on inspection of the mini multi room box there are way fewer connections with potentially the only one being labelled ' Digi In ' which looks a lot like an optical input and is hidden under a little plastic flap. The HDMI to DVI adaptor lead works fine into the single HDMI connection on the sky box for the video. Is there any sort of cable or device that will allow me to get the audio to work?

Whilst scratching my head I've got round the issue by simply connecting the TV to the sky box by scart to scart. Of course this rather defeats the object as whilst I have video and audio the picture is not HD and pretty rubbish.

Would be very grateful for any advice. Really hope there is a simple solution as loathe to bin off the Philips which has a pretty good picture and has lasted 12 years! I guess my next question is if I eventually upgrade to Sky Q multi room will I again have problems connecting the Sky Q mini box to the old Philips?

And of course I did try turning it off and on again :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hi folks.

Just purchased a new LG 4k smart TV for the lounge which is connected to a Sky HD box. Sky Q is on order but for obvious and totally understandable reasons it won't be arriving any time soon.

However, in the interim the old 32in Philips 32PF5320/10 HD ready TV is being moved to the bedroom ( https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/32PF5320_10/32-inch-lcd-hd-ready/support). I have the sky multi room HD mini box in the bedroom currently connected to a small LG LCD TV that may have HDMI connection but has an awful viewing angle. Hence the plan was to replace this with the Philips TV which has a pretty impressive picture.

However, the key issue with the Phillips is that is does not have any HDMI connection but rather it is DVI. When previously connected to the Sky HD in the lounge this was not an issue as I used and HDMI to DVI lead for the video and to get the audio I used the DVI audio in connection into the Sky box's audio L & R (red and yellow) . This worked fine.

Of course on inspection of the mini multi room box there are way fewer connections with potentially the only one being labelled ' Digi In ' which looks a lot like an optical input and is hidden under a little plastic flap. The HDMI to DVI adaptor lead works fine into the single HDMI connection on the sky box for the video. Is there any sort of cable or device that will allow me to get the audio to work?

Whilst scratching my head I've got round the issue by simply connecting the TV to the sky box by scart to scart. Of course this rather defeats the object as whilst I have video and audio the picture is not HD and pretty rubbish.

Would be very grateful for any advice. Really hope there is a simple solution as loathe to bin off the Philips which has a pretty good picture and has lasted 12 years! I guess my next question is if I eventually upgrade to Sky Q multi room will I again have problems connecting the Sky Q mini box to the old Philips?

I’ve got one of those small boxes...the plastic flap on the right hand side on the back is over the digital audio port, just pop it up and plug a digi audio cable in there and then into the relevant slot on the TV. My need to twiddle with the audio settings on the TV to pick it up the first time but after that should do it automatically (obviously use the HDMI to DVI for the picture)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I’ve got one of those small boxes...the plastic flap on the right hand side on the back is over the digital audio port, just pop it up and plug a digi audio cable in there and then into the relevant slot on the TV. My need to twiddle with the audio settings on the TV to pick it up the first time but after that should do it automatically (obviously use the HDMI to DVI for the picture)

Yes, but that's my actual question. What is " the relevant " slot on the TV "?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hi folks.

It's just a shame BG is no longer here.

He would have been able to solve such an issue in s flash

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here