Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If A Club Furlough's Staff Should They Still Buy Players?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Today's news has stated that Norwich, Newcastle and Spurs are some of the clubs using tax payers money to furlough their non-playing staff.
This means that we the tax payer are funding 80% of their wages.

I have no problem with this if the club can't afford to pay them. The individuals all deserve to be paid.
But how will that look when the transfer window opens if those clubs pay out multi-millions to buy new players?

I feel they should be made to repay the amount paid out to furlough their staff before they purchase any new players.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
None of these clubs need to furlough any of their staff if their players showed any ounce of compassion and took a pay cut

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Treat it like going into administration. Point deductions and Transfer ban (inwards) until money taken from us (as they are using our taxes to fund this) until the sum is repaid to the Exchequer.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
They should be required to repay any funds paid out for their staff before being allowed to sign any players, with a points deduction if they fail to do so.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
They should be required to repay any funds paid out for their staff before being allowed to sign any players, with a points deduction if they fail to do so.

I agree but it think it would be impossible to retrospectively impose rules. Clubs have had enough meetings and it should have been thrashed out then.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Plucky little Bournemouth take it to a new (lower) level...

https://twitter.com/peterrutzler/status/1245075397965987841?s=20

Bournemouth have told accommodation providers for their youth-team players that they will not be paid during the coronavirus pandemic.
The club have now ceased paying their suppliers such as cleaners and food wholesalers, as well as those who house their youth players.
Bournemouth are understood to pay £500-£600 per player each month for their under-18 players to be housed in digs, with under-21 players footing their own bills.
But in an email sent to accommodation providers on Monday by finance director David Holiday, they were all told that the club were “unable to support everyone during this time” and that they are “having to take measures to protect the club based on the ever-changing financial and sporting landscape we find ourselves in”.

The email, which has been seen by The Athletic, suggests that accommodation...

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Today's news has stated that Norwich, Newcastle and Spurs are some of the clubs using tax payers money to furlough their non-playing staff.
This means that we the tax payer are funding 80% of their wages.

I have no problem with this if the club can't afford to pay them. The individuals all deserve to be paid.
But how will that look when the transfer window opens if those clubs pay out multi-millions to buy new players?

I feel they should be made to repay the amount paid out to furlough their staff before they purchase any new players.

Probably doing this to have more money for the transfer window

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Plucky little Bournemouth take it to a new (lower) level...

https://twitter.com/peterrutzler/status/1245075397965987841?s=20

Bournemouth have told accommodation providers for their youth-team players that they will not be paid during the coronavirus pandemic.
The club have now ceased paying their suppliers such as cleaners and food wholesalers, as well as those who house their youth players.
Bournemouth are understood to pay £500-£600 per player each month for their under-18 players to be housed in digs, with under-21 players footing their own bills.
But in an email sent to accommodation providers on Monday by finance director David Holiday, they were all told that the club were “unable to support everyone during this time” and that they are “having to take measures to protect the club based on the ever-changing financial and sporting landscape we find ourselves in”.

The email, which has been seen by The Athletic, suggests that accommodation...

Shameful if true.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I really hope the Government don’t pay up. There is no way a business like Tottenham should need to furlough those staff. They are just taking advantage of the situation. Total piss take.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really hope the Government don’t pay up. There is no way a business like Tottenham should need to furlough those staff. They are just taking advantage of the situation. Total piss take.

I never thought I'd say this to one of your posts but this. THIS!

I have my house cleaned every week. Same person for nearly 20 years. I'm paying her 100% of what I would pay her, to not clean my house. Not a lot of money to me, a lot to her. That's what everyone should be doing if they can. From each accrding to their ability, to each according to their need. FFS.

Something tells me many clubs can't. Overstretched. Who knew? [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] knew. If they could pay up they would, to dodge the opprobrium that will doubtless come their way when the dust settles.

You f'cked your own staff
You greedy b'stards

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you're paying someone not to clean your house, that sounds like a role I could be interested in.

:lolol:

You will need to persuade me that you have all the skills to not do the job, though. ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I never thought I'd say this to one of your posts but this. THIS!

I have my house cleaned every week. Same person for nearly 20 years. I'm paying her 100% of what I would pay her, to not clean my house. Not a lot of money to me, a lot to her. That's what everyone should be doing if they can. From each accrding to their ability, to each according to their need. FFS.

Something tells me many clubs can't. Overstretched. Who knew? [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] knew. If they could pay up they would, to dodge the opprobrium that will doubtless come their way when the dust settles.

You greedy b'stards

Spuds had £123m cash at bank in their latest accounts (post stadium completed), making colossal profits for the second or more years running.

They’re not one of the overstretched clubs.

Last edited:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
these clubs are morally and ethically bankrupt. The players still drawing their full wage are also deplorable selfish arses to boot.

Supporters around the country should let them all now how disgusted they are in that we are all struggling to keep our heads and businesses afloat and we will all have to pay for the various bailouts for decades to come, these greedy shits are just taking from OUR pot when they already have more money than may of us would see in a life time.

The right thing to do is,

players, premier and possibly championship level, forego your weekly £’ssss
clubs, pay your bills and the support staff who earn very little
Government - refuse to allow them to draw from the pot
fans - let’s the clubs, FA and whoever else just have morally indefensible they hold any of them who abuses the furlough

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
these clubs are morally and ethically bankrupt. The players still drawing their full wage are also deplorable selfish arses to boot.

Supporters around the country should let them all now how disgusted they are in that we are all struggling to keep our heads and businesses afloat and we will all have to pay for the various bailouts for decades to come, these greedy shits are just taking from OUR pot when they already have more money than may of us would see in a life time.

The right thing to do is,

players, premier and possibly championship level, forego your weekly £’ssss
clubs, pay your bills and the support staff who earn very little
Government - refuse to allow them to draw from the pot
fans - let’s the clubs, FA and whoever else just have morally indefensible they hold any of them who abuses the furlough

excuse the grammar, just ranting .....

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
This had made me really angry.

No Premier League club should be leaching off society at this time.

They should take loans if they are that hard up, and pay the loan back out of the next incoming £100 million.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
This crisis is really going to sort the men from the boys. I am staggered that the EPL, full of super rich owners and super rich players, haven’t already come out with a range of voluntary measures to support lower league clubs and society in general. Some have (albeit the gestures are relatively small in the scheme of things).

You could probably guess that the likes of Newcastle and Jack Grealish would exhibit the least class. Bournemouth are another example of an organisation reverting to type (no shame over cheating their way to the Premier League 5 or 6 years ago).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here