Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Which Supermarket?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I'm going to do my weekly shop tomorrow and I have a few around me and I'm really not choosy.

(I had started going out to the local greengrocers, butchers etc, but still had to go to the supermarket for other stuff, before all this crap happened ).

So, which (given I'm going to queue for ages around a car park), should it be?

Sainsbury (Goldstone Valley)
Asda (Hollingbury)
Tesco (Holm bush)
M&S (Holm bush)
Waitrose (Dog stadium)
Lidl (boundary road)
Aldi (Shoreham - or maybe the other way round)

I don't need statements on your view of each supermarket, just which will be easier to get in and out of. (And if you really need a decider, wine, or because I was too stupid to hoard from my normal supplier :facepalm:)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
You have to queue to get in Aldi boundary rd but not too long. They also seem to be better stocked than tesco. No queue for tesco boundary rd.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
In my opinion Asda was chaotic while Sainsbury’s if going early was ok one in one out but that was becoming a free for all as I was leaving the most organised one I have been to is the CoOp in lancing guy on the door with radio to another inside the store keeping numbers sensible

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Tesco has been well stocked over the last week

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Waitrose , easy to get in & out of and no chavs with multiple children in tow . Also good wine selection

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Been getting veg from local green grocer, bread from local bakery and meat from local butcher (all of them delivering) Corner shops nearby have everything else we need so not planning to go to a supermarket for a while.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I went to Asda earlier this week and it was a dream. Ten minute queue, nearly everything on the shelves and nobody in there.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
West Hove Sainsbury's seems that have the best stocked shelves and manageable queues. Typically 5-10mins even when snaking around the carpark.

This has worked for us, the last two shops. Well managed, people observing the 2m rule and just a few minutes stood outside.

But because the 7am locusts are still nabbing many cheap lines, our bill today was huge, eg with little option but to buy ‘premium’ brand eggs, basmati rice.

If there is one thing that winds me up, even before Coronavirus, its is couples having to do the shop jointly and having to inspect and debate at length each individual item before committing it to their basket. I dream of having a "Ben Hur" adapted trolley with scythes on the wheels to deal with them :)

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Aldi (boundary road)

From a few visits, this is well stocked. The aisles, unfortunately, are narrow, which compounds the trickiness of avoiding fellow shoppers who can't seem to comprehend how to stick to the chevrons they've clearly labelled the floor with.

Is it entirely necessary to go within an inch of someone in order to exhaustively inspect a tin of cat meat? Or to push into the spaces in the queue designed for distancing? Hopefully it's all due to nervousness and desperation, cos I don't feel encouraged about the coming new world of interconnectedness if it's innate.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Wife went to Tesco's today, still no pasta and no tomatoes sauce. We didn't need any loo roll so not sure with that. Flour also empty

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I had to the weekly shop last Friday at Tesco in the Holmbush, the queue to get in started behind the click and collect collection point, it took about 30 mins from there but everyone was respecting the 2m rule. Once in the store a member of staff provided hand sanitizer and another colleague wiped down the trolley and scan as you go handsets. Most stock was available, loo roll aplenty, no pasta, tomato sauce, beans but many lines had full availability. Queuing for the checkout was a 2m zone again, and self scan and the scan as you go checkouts were only open every other lane to keep to the social distancing guidelines.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Did a fair sized shop at Waitrose yesterday. Bit of a treat as it's very easy to spunk money there. Back to Asda for essentials next time. Went lunchtime. 10 min queue to get in. Spotted an Albion player in the queue as I left - queue wasn't moving quickly which suited him

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Did a fair sized shop at Waitrose yesterday. Bit of a treat as it's very easy to spunk money there. Back to Asda for essentials next time. Went lunchtime. 10 min queue to get in. Spotted an Albion player in the queue as I left - queue wasn't moving quickly which suited him

Gross?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm going to do my weekly shop tomorrow and I have a few around me and I'm really not choosy.

(I had started going out to the local greengrocers, butchers etc, but still had to go to the supermarket for other stuff, before all this crap happened ).

So, which (given I'm going to queue for ages around a car park), should it be?

Sainsbury (Goldstone Valley)
Asda (Hollingbury)
Tesco (Holm bush)
M&S (Holm bush)
Waitrose (Dog stadium)
Lidl (boundary road)
Aldi (Shoreham - or maybe the other way round)

I don't need statements on your view of each supermarket, just which will be easier to get in and out of. (And if you really need a decider, wine, or because I was too stupid to hoard from my normal supplier :facepalm:)

Where's "Sainsbury (Goldstone Valley)" ?

Went to Aldi Portslade yesterday and got a parking space easily and walked straight in. Pretty well stocked including toilet rolls. Then had to queue for Sainsburys WEST HOVE ( took about 30 min to get in )and still lots of empty shelves.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here