Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] £15.99 to watch a film in your own home.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Am I wrong in thinking the people that set pay per view prices aren't getting it right? Record numbers illegally streaming boxing instead of paying £25 and now with cinemas closed £15.99 to watch a new film on your own tv.
They claim it's cheaper than a trip to the cinema with your family. If you use The Dome in Worthing or Orion in Burgess Hill it's not. I'm sure many will respond that I don't have to pay that if I don't want to. The thing is I won't but I would have if it had been cheaper.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
£15.99 is a little cheaper than any of the cinema chains if you've got more than one person watching though. Tickets are normally £8-£12. Cinema you're paying for the experience though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Cinema you're paying for the experience though.

And what experience would that be ? The opportunity to buy a stale bag of popcorn for £17.50 ? Or possibly the chance to sit behind a chav family that insist on talking through out the film ? I could even buy a handful of cheap sweets for the kids at 10 times the normal price. Nope, cinema is dead and it's brought about it's own demise because of greed - for a very reasonable price I can setup a home cinema system, buy the DVD/Blueray and not have to mix with the plebs.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Am I wrong in thinking the people that set pay per view prices aren't getting it right? Record numbers illegally streaming boxing instead of paying £25 and now with cinemas closed £15.99 to watch a new film on your own tv.
They claim it's cheaper than a trip to the cinema with your family. If you use The Dome in Worthing or Orion in Burgess Hill it's not. I'm sure many will respond that I don't have to pay that if I don't want to. The thing is I won't but I would have if it had been cheaper.
It’s £14 for a family in the market hall cinema Brynmawr, although I’d concede that the travel costs may outweigh the ticket price for most of you.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
And what experience would that be ? The opportunity to buy a stale bag of popcorn for £17.50 ? Or possibly the chance to sit behind a chav family that insist on talking through out the film ? I could even buy a handful of cheap sweets for the kids at 10 times the normal price. Nope, cinema is dead and it's brought about it's own demise because of greed - for a very reasonable price I can setup a home cinema system, buy the DVD/Blueray and not have to mix with the plebs.

I go to Dukes at Komedia generally, and admit I'm lucky to have a good cinema (and no family trying to go with me). Don't have issues with people chatting or using their phone etc... Buy sweets before you come in, and while fresh popcorn is nicer you can happily buy some from the supermarket as well. That's mostly what we did as kids, I don't think I often had anything from the counter until I was buying for myself as a teenager.

Home cinema setups are good now, but they're never going to be as good as a decent cinema.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
What are you trying to watch, and with which provider? It seems a bit toppy, given the various options available.

Give Youtube a try - films are typically about £3-5 to rent or £15 to buy and keep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As is customary:-

£4.50 any film any time Bognor Picturedrome.

I haven't set foot in a chain cinema for years.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

The reason cinemas charge so much for food is because they make next to no money on showing the films.

Cinemas are going to go to the wall, but it’s not entirely down to their own greed.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

That's to own it isn't it and watch it as many times as you like? Aren't most rentals £5 and below?

A £5 rental now is the equivalent of renting a VHS for £1.68 in 1985.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think you're showing how often you go (or don't go) to the cinema there - it's not been a fiver for adults at The Dome for some time.

We went just before restrictions started coming into play on March 11th (and doesn't that feel a long time ago now?) and it was £18.40 for 2 adults @ £6.70 and 1 child @ £5.00.

I'm not aware of the story behind this, but I'm guessing it's been suggested that films that should be hitting cinemas soon-ish may go pay-for-stream instead. If that's the case, doesn't it really come down to whether you want to support film production or not? If you do, and it's a film you may have gone to the cinema to see, then surely you'd consider paying £15.99 to support the studio and give them a chance of coming out of this alive?

It's not dissimilar to the box of bread, pastries and cakes we had delivered today from our local independent coffee shop. It cost £32. Now, it's really good stuff but, in normal times, I wouldn't pay £32 for it. These aren't normal times though, and I want to be able to visit this coffee shop in months to come, so I'm supporting it NOW to try and ensure that remains possible.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The reason cinemas charge so much for food is because they make next to no money on showing the films.

Cinemas are going to go to the wall, but it’s not entirely down to their own greed.

That may well be the case but it really is a case of taking it too far. I'll admit that I haven't stepped foot in a cinema for a few years - the last Bond film was the last time I went but when we used to take the kids we'd take our own food. The tickets themselves were pricey enough - far more than waiting a few months for the DVD - so to charge excessive prices for basic food, and we're talking multiples of what it costs elsewhere, really is taking the piss. If it had been a 'reasonable' price we might actually have brought something for the kids so by over pricing they actually lost out on business.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
That price seems quite good for the 4 of us and we'd have the luxury of no travel and better seating and better food. Cool. Might get a movie in this weekend.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I have an Unlimited card for Cineworld and I go to the one at Brighton Marina maybe 2 or 3 times a week sometimes. When they aren't showing a particular film I'll go to Crawley Cineworld, which also has 4DX, Screen X and Imax, for a small extra premium. It costs £17.40 a month and seeing as though 1 single Imax film for a non-Unlimited card holder could cost up to £20 or so, the Unlimited card cost is a bargain. I would only want to see a new film at the cinema as it's still an event going. If I watch on a small screen at home I tend to multi-task. I can only fully "switch-off" at the cinema.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

It's probably a lot to do with 'supply and demand' economics. People don't HAVE the option of going to the Cinema, but they want to watch the latest releases, so I can understand (but still refused to pay that for Frozen II the other day), why providers have pitched it at that price.

If you look at it on a cost per minute basis, it probably works out at a lot 'cheaper' than PPV boxing matches – and the Box Office channels do pretty well out of those.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

This is said often, but I asked the CEO of Cineworld when I worked there (as a mere projectionist) and he said it's an urban myth. Cinemas make a lot from snacks, but they do make money from films, too. If you buy a £10 ticket at the Brighton Odeon, for example, then the cinema will get a couple of quid out of it.

Jul 7, 2003
It's not dissimilar to the box of bread, pastries and cakes we had delivered today from our local independent coffee shop. It cost £32. Now, it's really good stuff but, in normal times, I wouldn't pay £32 for it. These aren't normal times though, and I want to be able to visit this coffee shop in months to come, so I'm supporting it NOW to try and ensure that remains possible.

Sorry to go O/T but where are you getting these from? I know Honeycomb Cakes are delivering locally.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I dropped off supplies to the sister in law yesterday, and she works for Universal studios. She was to race back indoors to have a long meeting with her manager how they could make money out of this situation, charging stupid amounts for people to watch at home. She's uncomfortable with this oh so regular moneygrabbing manner, but this seems their unpleasant way.
I wouldn't and won't pay that amount to see a movie at home, and certainly not from a studio that made Dr Doolittle and Last Christmas and Cats in recent times.

I use Mubi for films, or whatever is to record late night on Filmfour. Mubi have a few old films to stream uploaded this week that i quite fancy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here