Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Spurs put 550 non-playing staff on furlough

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Same day it is revealed Levy took home 7m last year including a 3m stadium completion bonus.

:facepalm:

SAC

May 21, 2014
If non playing staff are expected to receive 80% (of wages), The players should be offering to make up the difference at the very least.

Difficult though, if you are a player who club is owned by a stupidly wealthy individual (or company), would you be offering to take a pay cut?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I can't believe a club like Tottenham can not support non playing members of staff during a world wide crisis like this. Let's say that ( a massive guess) the average wage of each non playing staff member was £2k per month, then the 20% that Tottenham would have to find is £220,000 per month. Not a great deal in the scheme of things and even less if players were to take a short term pay cut to help cover that lost pay.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It is just weird. 550 staff. Mean average of 30k a year (Guess). That is 2500 a month. So 550*2500 is 1,375,000 a month. Add on pension, NI etc and then round up to 2 million to be generous.

Pretty sure I read serge aurier is on 70k a week so let’s assume that is average. Which is about 300k a month. So 25 in first team squad is 7.5 million a month.

So if players took a 25% pay cut they could cover the wages of the other 550!

Instead the government will pay the wages of those people at 80% which means we are effectively subsidising player wages. People make the argument about nurses being paid more etc but taking tax payer money to fund football clubs like spurs is literally taking money that could be used for something else. It is amazing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't believe a club like Tottenham can not support non playing members of staff during a world wide crisis like this. Let's say that ( a massive guess) the average wage of each non playing staff member was £2k per month, then the 20% that Tottenham would have to find is £220,000 per month. Not a great deal in the scheme of things and even less if players were to take a short term pay cut to help cover that lost pay.

I can't believe Levy gets off without a murmur and the instant reaction is 'the players should pay the different'.

What about the billionaire owner?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It is just weird. 550 staff. Mean average of 30k a year (Guess). That is 2500 a month. So 550*2500 is 1,375,000 a month. Add on pension, NI etc and then round up to 2 million to be generous.

Pretty sure I read serge aurier is on 70k a week so let’s assume that is average. Which is about 300k a month. So 25 in first team squad is 7.5 million a month.

So if players took a 25% pay cut they could cover the wages of the other 550!

Instead the government will pay the wages of those people at 80% which means we are effectively subsidising player wages. People make the argument about nurses being paid more etc but taking tax payer money to fund football clubs like spurs is literally taking money that could be used for something else. It is amazing.

It would only need to be 20% of the monthly wage that Tottenham would need to cover.

Elipsis

Sep 14, 2019
Pretty disgusting that Newcastle and Spurs are taking advantage of this scheme, while continuing to pay £50k+ per week to playing staff. I guess we'll see which other clubs have similarly low ethics over the next few days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Pretty disgusting that Newcastle and Spurs are taking advantage of this scheme.
But not exactly surprising.

My money would be on West Ham being next.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I wonder if celebrity television presenters are expected to make up the wages of all the backroom staff that have been furloughed. Make up, hairdressers, wardrobe etc etc.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It would only need to be 20% of the monthly wage that Tottenham would need to cover.

Only if the government pays the other 80%. My point is that these scheme was not designed for this. It was designed to keep business afloat. Not for businesses to take the piss. If they would genuinely have made these staff redundant then fine. I am saying they would not though.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Only if the government pays the other 80%. My point is that these scheme was not designed for this. It was designed to keep business afloat. Not for businesses to take the piss. If they would genuinely have made these staff redundant then fine. I am saying they would not though.

OK, I see. Fair point.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

To be fair I bet a bunch of these are match day staff - so there is a case to be made that they would be made redundant

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Levy fighting it out with Ashley for the biggest football twit of the Corona Crisis. Tosser.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Pretty disgusting that Newcastle and Spurs are taking advantage of this scheme, while continuing to pay £50k+ per week to playing staff. I guess we'll see which other clubs have similarly low ethics over the next few days.

Completely agree. This is the worst side of football on display here. Sickening really.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
To be fair I bet a bunch of these are match day staff - so there is a case to be made that they would be made redundant

Would they though? How much do matchday staff get paid a month? 3 home matches? What is that? Maybe 300 quid a month? Surely they would not make them redundant would they?

The others will be sports science, physios, groundsmen, office based etc. Would they have been made redundant? No chance. It is a blag and taking the piss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here