Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paying for this furlough

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it is widely recognised that this furlough is the right thing to do, and same for the self employed help.

But how do people envisage this being paid for? Obviously it will be tax in years to come, but it strikes me this will be so expensive that anything like the sort of Tory austerity we saw would absolutely cripple the country.

What sort of time frame and additional tax rates can we expect?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think it is widely recognised that this furlough is the right thing to do, and same for the self employed help.

But how do people envisage this being paid for? Obviously it will be tax in years to come, but it strikes me this will be so expensive that anything like the sort of Tory austerity we saw would absolutely cripple the country.

What sort of time frame and additional tax rates can we expect?

Interesting view in the Telegraph yesterday

We don’t have to return to austerity economics after the Covid-19 crisis http://digitaleditions.telegraph.co...d/0/package/178/pub/178/page/62/article/28755

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think we can't rule out some countries making raids on bank deposits, it happened in Cyprus back in 2013 and I suspect it will happen again.

In the UK I'd be surprised if we ever saw that but we could see an annualised wealth tax. Or a property taxes maybe, in this country such taxes are pretty low. You might pay £3k p.a for a penthouse in Chelsea, its very little

In the US for example some states charge in excess of 1% annually on property or land values. Might even encourage downsizing for empty nesters which can't be a bad thing...

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw somewhere that the cost of paying the working population 80% of their salary for 3 weeks was the equivalent of £55 billion, the bail out given to the banks in 2008 was £350 billion.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I saw somewhere that the cost of paying the working population 80% of their salary for 3 weeks was the equivalent of £55 billion, the bail out given to the banks in 2008 was £350 billion.

you were misinformed, the direct bailouts of banks were ~70bn, which has been paid back. larger numbers count loans and gurantees, repaid or unused. the current payments promised are very generous, we hope will be short lived.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
you were misinformed, the direct bailouts of banks were ~70bn, which has been paid back. larger numbers count loans and gurantees, repaid or unused. the current payments promised are very generous, we hope will be short lived.

Ah well then, I'll defer to you, although Wikipedia( 2008 United Kingdom bank rescue package ) is quoting it cost £500 Bn in loans and guarantees, but I obviously can't assess that.

They say in life that all things even out in the end, so maybe our current generous financial support is a cosmic re-alignment for the masses for 12 years of austerity.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Do you think it will be only company’s and their employees that have used the Furlough scheme will be the main contributors of any reparations, or will it be the workforce on the whole?
The devil will always be in the detail..

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Do you think it will be only company’s and their employees that have used the Furlough scheme will be the main contributors of any reparations, or will it be the workforce on the whole?
The devil will always be in the detail..

Can you see very rich people pay proportionately more taxes of any kind ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This virus does not discriminate,it’s not about rich or poor now, will companies of any size or wealth have to suffer even if the did not use the furlough scheme?

It is still about rich and poor, the virus does not discriminate but money buys a higher chance of avoiding it.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I think we can't rule out some countries making raids on bank deposits, it happened in Cyprus back in 2013 and I suspect it will happen again.

In the UK I'd be surprised if we ever saw that but we could see an annualised wealth tax. Or a property taxes maybe, in this country such taxes are pretty low. You might pay £3k p.a for a penthouse in Chelsea, its very little

In the US for example some states charge in excess of 1% annually on property or land values. Might even encourage downsizing for empty nesters which can't be a bad thing...

Property taxes to replace council tax?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
maybe some sort of clampdown on debt exposure and more incentives for savings perhaps. cheap personal debt and no incentive to save is no preparation for this kind of event.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well Spurs programme sellers and cleaners will lose 20% of their pay, we'll all pay their remaining 80% from our taxes but Harry will still get his 150k a week......................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here