Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Corona virus scams

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Apologies if there is a thread on this already, but couldn't find this and happy for it be moved.

Feel a bit stupid posting this as like to think of myself as quite savvy, but......

Was just filling out the Universal Credit application form online, which all went pretty smooth, and was then redirected by the gov site to another to confirm my identity.
I did feel a little bit uneasy at this, but had been asked to do the same by GoodSams volunteering sight a few days before, so carried on.
I entered all the normal details, name, address etc. Then driving licence details, then passport......
Then it asked for my bank account details, which didn't seem so strange, until they wanted my 3 digit security code from my card..
This didn't seem right to me, surely no one needs this?

Not sure if I've just been scammed or have messed up my UC claim???

Hopefully a warning to anyone else out there who encounters the same

(the website was digidentify, or something simliar)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There are all these ads that keep appearing on FB for masks - it's all based on stoking up people's fear. They tell with the generous discount of 50% a single mask is now only $70 - for something that would normally cost a few bucks. Total scam and FB should be shutting these buggers down.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
When I signed up for GoodSams a few days ago it just asked me to upload a photo of my passport or driving licence. There was no redirect or request for bank details.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even not a fraud, it can websites (looking remarkably like a government site), where they’ve paid google to be near the top of searches, with the aim of charging folk a rip off fee for making various state applications.

They certainly don’t make it plain that it’s a commercial venture.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Even not a fraud, it can websites (looking remarkably like a government site), where they’ve paid google to be near the top of searches, with the aim of charging folk a rip off fee for making various state applications.

They certainly don’t make it plain that it’s a commercial venture.

The bond fide must end with .gov.uk

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I went through the universal claim a few months ago, it certainly did not ask for your 3 digit security number. It did ask for bank details but not card details which they would need, presumably, to use the 3 digit code. Bank details would not help them.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

ALERT!!!!!!! u only need the 3 digit pin for two reasons..One to make an online purchase or 2 to validate your card is active but it can then be used later to DEBIT your account. Anyone giving you benefits would NEVER need to debit your account and if they did, say for over paying you would do this through a BACS recall. BACS is the Uk clearing service used my all big companies to pay wages and benefits.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here