Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this classed as Essential?

tonebha

Jul 11, 2003
I had a pile of junk mail leaflets stuffed through my letterbox this morning by the postie.

No actual letters, just half a dozen leaflets advertising automatic garage doors etc. - it wouldn't be so bad if they had to deliver me an actual letter, but I suspect that there is no need to visit the majority of properties as there is no real post for them.

There is a (albeit small, so we are led to believe) chance of a trace of the dreaded CV19 sitting on one of said pieces of junk mail and subsequently being transferred to the hands and onwards of an absent minded recipient.

Now, is it just me or does anyone else consider this to be a rather unecessary way of possible transmission either to or from the postie?

??? :wrong:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Not to mention the 30m letters that the Govt have posted telling us what we already know.
Yes. Maybe they could give people/companies some money instead of wasting it on this nonsense.

People who are too stupid to give a toss wont read the letter anyway. Everyone else already knows the score.

Pointless exercise.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Yes. Maybe they could give people/companies some money instead of wasting it on this nonsense.

People who are too stupid to give a toss wont read the letter anyway. Everyone else already knows the score.

Pointless exercise.

It’s all about avoiding culpability at a future Public Inquiry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s all about avoiding culpability at a future Public Inquiry.

I think there will be fare greater issues than letters if there’s a public enquiry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Pointless exercise.

100% this. Anybody who's not got the message already is hardly likely to sit down, read a letter from BJ and re-evaluate their lifestyle choices. Pure showboating sadly

tonebha

Jul 11, 2003
I did actually email the Royal Mail earlier this morning, the wording and content being pretty similar to my original post - I also said I look forward to their reply……

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ah, I hadn't seen that! Hopefully it will stop soon.

Like most of us, I haven't seen it, even after clicking the link!

Re: junk mail, though, annoying as it is, it has a purpose. Nobody writes letters these days, and many bills, bank statements, etc. are sent electronically (even though some of us still opt for the paper versions) so the royal Mail's main revenue streams have disappeared. Thanks to a certain government's 'foresight' 30 years ago in selling off an industry for a one-off cash boost, the service is now a private company which needs to make a profit.
Without the junk mail, now its main revenue stream, the postal service wouldn't exist. Hence the bloody junk is a necessary evil, unless or until we re-nationalise the Royal Mail - and I tink most us would agree that the government has othe priorities to worry about for now!.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The Postal Workers union CWU has said to Royal Mail that they can't see the point of advertising mail at this time.

Except maybe the one I found today for funeral plans. Bit insensitive, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here