Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Disparity in earnings

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I am sorry if this has been aired on another thread but I couldn’t find it.

Recent publication said the some BHA players are on £50k per week, obviously those at larger clubs are on hugely more. Do you think this will be a watershed in addressing the disparity between top level football and nurses? A player earns more in a week than a nurse in a year, or one player would pay for 50 nurses. Difficult to believe that reflects their contribution to society.

I am not suggesting this is the players’ fault in any way, the whole system is skewed.

To answer my own question, I don’t anticipate a major change but I wish there would be one.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Absolutely zero chance of that happening. All the right things are being said from the top about our wonderful NHS and it’s frontline staff BUT come the pay review it will be business as usual.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
The disparity with earnings between a PL footballer & a nurse or even a doctor is grotesque but nothing will change because of all the TV money in football particularly in the top leagues .

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I don't think you can really compare nurses and football players, they're from completely different industries, funded from completely different sources, and there's no connection between the two - reducing a football player's wage wouldn't have any effect on a nurse's wage.

The disparity between consultant doctors and nurses, however, definitely needs to be looked at. And yes, hopefully all of this will help in that matter.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I don't think you can really compare nurses and football players, they're from completely different industries, funded from completely different sources, and there's no connection between the two - reducing a football player's wage wouldn't have any effect on a nurse's wage.

The disparity between consultant doctors and nurses, however, definitely needs to be looked at. And yes, hopefully all of this will help in that matter.

This. Its more like comparing footballers with a film star. Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise etc.. will earn millions from 6 months work on a film. 'Pop' stars the same. Its all the 'entertainment' industry

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The myth that your worth and ability is connected to wages is utter bullshit. Quite frankly it is disgusting.

You can add in the myth of the link between how hard you work and your wages also.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We could expand the discussion to the top end of football agents, and football pundits, earning huge sums compared to most NHS staff.

Football in the top two divisions (including most Championship clubs) and across much of Europe is dripping with money, cascading down to a load of folk riding on its coat tails.

Impossible to regulate.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Also, take into account that there is a much smaller pool of footballing talent than there is nurses. Laws of supply and demand!

That said, I would love it if nurse were paid even half of what a prem footballer get paid as I could then retire!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I disagree. It is far harder to be a medical professional than a footballer! The fact the ly get paid less is shamefully really and really makes you mad that people will sycophantically clap them when they need them but do not give a shit enough to pay them properly otherwise.

Yet there are only around 4000 professional footballers in the UK and over 300,000 nurses. Someone is far more likely to be able to become a nurse than a professional footballer. Hence Drew's comment about supply and demand.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
There's no doubt many footballers are earning eye watering amounts of money but in almost all industries there is disparity in wages and if you are 'top of your game' you are often rewarded for it.

The nurse who is struggling to make ends meet will be working with NHS consultants on approaching 150k per year, the highest paid NHS doctor earns over 450k per year.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There’s a strong case that nurses, and others in the caring profession, deserve to get paid more given their contribution to society. This is effectively down to the government.

With Footballers it is different. They get paid their market value as part of a business.

To compare the two is a lazy argument.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Wages are driven entirely by market forces.

The best football players get paid well because the extra 1% they offer over and above a player in the division below, translates to millions of pounds in revenue.

That doesn't mean they are worth more to society of course, but the whole point of a fair income tax policy is to smooth over some of these glaring flaws in the free market.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
We could expand the discussion to the top end of football agents, and football pundits, earning huge sums compared to most NHS staff.

Football in the top two divisions (including most Championship clubs) and across much of Europe is dripping with money, cascading down to a load of folk riding on its coat tails.

Impossible to regulate.

We could tax it (and similar super earners in other industries) far higher in multiple different ways. Ok, the U.K. would lose some of the worlds best footballers, but hey, so what, loads of great players behind them. Normally I would be low tax, but the response from our football community has been poor imo

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
This is why the rich should have much higher taxes ��*♂️ That way, they can still be rich, and we can afford to pay nhs workers more money. But we’re too selfish a country for all that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As I said in another thread, one good thing to come from this crisis is that it is showing what a valuable service various public sectors provide eg health workers and teachers. And given the way the U.K. ‘s economy is heading, it’s going to need a ground zero post-war like re-think. Post C19 will be the perfect time to re-assess what we pay certain people and address underfunded services. If it doesn’t happen, then they should say enough is enough and down tools. I’m sure they’d get a lot of support.

I don’t think there’s any sense in comparing to footballers. All you need to do with overpaid people is ensure they pay an appropriate amount of tax.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wages are driven entirely by market forces.

The best football players get paid well because the extra 1% they offer over and above a player in the division below, translates to millions of pounds in revenue.

That doesn't mean they are worth more to society of course, but the whole point of a fair income tax policy is to smooth over some of these glaring flaws in the free market.

This is why the rich should have much higher taxes ��*♂️ That way, they can still be rich, and we can afford to pay nhs workers more money. But we’re too selfish a country for all that.

This and this.

Hopefully when we come out of this on the other side people will be more happy to have a few pence on income tax to keep themselves alive and educated. We can debate whether a post virus Johnson government would do it but it would be a vote winner for me.

No nurse goes into the profession for the money but it would be good if we as society could reward them a little more anyway.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This and this.

Hopefully when we come out of this on the other side people will be more happy to have a few pence on income tax to keep themselves alive and educated. We can debate whether a post virus Johnson government would do it but it would be a vote winner for me.

No nurse goes into the profession for the money but it would be good if we as society could reward them a little more anyway.

Most of this - except I suspect that we will be paying that few extra pence, just to cover the (necessary) CV19 response.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Nurses (NHS) wages. Absolutely no chance of them getting an increase after this is over. There will be a short term public clamour, then the electorate will vote for whichever party they believe won't raise their taxes to pay for the spiralling public debt.

Footballers wages. People will continue to moan, but continue to subscribe to the TV channels which fund them so they can watch Arsenal or Liverpool, rather than their local ailing club

"With Footballers it is different. They get paid their market value as part of a business."

I suspect their market value is about to take a bit of a hit .... well more than a bit!!

Law of demand and supply may well have something to do with it if no football for months - no revenue for the clubs - no way of sustaining their obscene earnings - no massive transfer fees etc etc.

If I were a footballer out of contract this summer on massive wages I would be more than concerned.

I don't think many people will care if their market values falls off a cliff - they will probably be more concerned about our health care workers - however badly they are paid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here