Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] What is bigger than Covid-19?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My hunch is the anthropocene. We've produced it, we're living through it, although next to no-one knows about it. It will be officially declared soon. Let's hope the emergency measures taken during Covid-19 transpire to be an inspiration behind reducing and mitigating its effects.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
This could be the start of natures fightback against human influence on this planet.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This could be the start of natures fightback against human influence on this planet.

see post #1 :wink:

Good thread. Yes, we have already seen not just the UK but the world bringing in strategies that resemble, more than anything on the global menu, Jeremy Corbyn's last election manifesto. I regarded that at the time as the second longest suicide note in political history....times change.

The secret to good comedy and good politics is timing. Do we have leaders who can ride the waves of enforced change? Maybe we do - they are called Politicians. The class we deride yet keep voting for may be able to lead us forth. Who knew? ??? Not me.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
see post #1 :wink:

Good thread. Yes, we have already seen not just the UK but the world bringing in strategies that resemble, more than anything on the global menu, Jeremy Corbyn's last election manifesto. I regarded that at the time as the second longest suicide note in political history....times change.

The secret to good comedy and good politics is timing. Do we have leaders who can ride the waves of enforced change? Maybe we do - they are called Politicians. The class we deride yet keep voting for may be able to lead us forth. Who knew? ??? Not me.

Corbyn's problem is that he couldn't persuade the average person anything. He was also strategically incompetent, for instance, thinking that he could be elected PM by largely ignoring the media. His policy framework was never as bad as derided and, even three months ago, was far more relevant than the dearth contained in the Tory manifesto (look up their environmental 'policy' as an example).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Corbyn's problem is that he couldn't persuade the average person anything. He was also strategically incompetent, for instance, thinking that he could be elected PM by largely ignoring the media. His policy framework was never as bad as derided and, even three months ago, was far more relevant than the dearth contained in the Tory manifesto (look up their environmental 'policy' as an example).

Agree
Agree

And the rest is history.

Fortunately JGJ is no longer available to explain to us how we got to where we were just before the COVID outbreak owing to a conspiracy between the electorate and the media :mad:

I have always said we get the politicians we deserve, and right now 'we the people' have a very clear idea of what that is - to live a bit longer, us and our families. Whether this is all 'disruptive' enough to change the game....will be fun for those who survive to see and, perhaps influence.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If the next virus kills up to 10% of world population, society will probably collapse as we know it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here