Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Furloughed Pay

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Anyone received a pay slip showing their Furloughed Pay.
I've paid my staff their first week and still unsure what 80% I have to pay them.
Do I send a pay slip filled in as normal, ie 40 hours at £10 an hour, but pay 80% of net pay shown?
Or start off by putting in 80% of their gross pay, ie £320 not £400, into the pay box and 1 into hours?
Gov.uk don't explain it very well.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Anyone received a pay slip showing their Furloughed Pay.
I've paid my staff their first week and still unsure what 80% I have to pay them.
Do I send a pay slip filled in as normal, ie 40 hours at £10 an hour, but pay 80% of net pay shown?
Or start off by putting in 80% of their gross pay, ie £320 not £400, into the pay box and 1 into hours?
Gov.uk don't explain it very well.

Balls ache isn’t it, so many things to try and gets our heads around.

times like this i’m glad to pay my accounts £250 a quarter to run my payroll

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You put 80% in as their gross pay, so if they normally get £1,000 gross they now get £800 gross or £10 an hour gross is now £8 an hour gross

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You put 80% in as their gross pay, so if they normally get £1,000 gross they now get £800 gross or £10 an hour gross is now £8 an hour gross
Yes. Sort of.

As I've read it, you pay them whatever you decide to and then you will receive the compensation from HMRC (provided you qualify).

It's still entirely up to the employer as to what they will pay their staff if they can't work But they will receive a grant based on 80% of their February payroll payments.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes. Sort of.

As I've read it, you pay them whatever you decide to and then you will receive the compensation from HMRC (provided you qualify).

It's still entirely up to the employer as to what they will pay their staff if they can't work But they will receive a grant based on 80% of their February payroll payments.

..... excluding fees, commissions and bonuses within the previously regular gross pay.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
And people are still backslapping Boris, Gollum et al for helping everyone out FFS.

If the current information about it possibly being 6 months before anything getting back to normal is correct then they will have to go down the universal income route instead of this half arsed rubbish.

If not then there WILL be social disorder rather than social distancing.....

I'm an optimist and I can't stand conspiracy theories. It's just looking at things logically, it's really quite grim on the wages/compensation front!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And people are still backslapping Boris, Gollum et al for helping everyone out FFS.

If the current information about it possibly being 6 months before anything getting back to normal is correct then they will have to go down the universal income route instead of this half arsed rubbish.

I'm an optimist and I can't stand conspiracy theories. It's just looking at things logically, it's really quite grim on the wages/compensation front!

For the up to 2.5 million who run and own or share ownership in small limited companies, if this shutdown is more than just two or three months, many will lose their businesses and be halfway to personal bankruptcy.

Either this ends unexpectedly sooner (I have a suspicion it might, because the 95% are taking social distancing and isolation seriously), or the government will need to provide support to active directors. Politically, they have many natural supporters in that grouping ... with quite a few exceptions on NSC including your good-self.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Don't forget those of us who will get naff all because we started a new job at the start of march. Im tearing my hair out its so illogical and unfair, I've been constantly in employment for 20 years.

Hopefully my company will be OK but it's hard to see how if it lasts for six months.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
For the up to 2.5 million who run and own or share ownership in small limited companies, if this shutdown is more than just two or three months, many will lose their businesses and be halfway to personal bankruptcy.

Either this ends unexpectedly sooner (I have a suspicion it might, because the 95% are taking social distancing and isolation seriously), or the government will need to provide support to active directors. Politically, they have many natural supporters in that grouping ... with quite a few exceptions on NSC including your good-self.

I may have the wrong end of the stick but I don't see how taking social distancing seriously will make it end sooner, despite what Boris says, as it'll take longer to pass through the population slower? It will lead to fewer deaths though.

Our only hope on that front really is that vast numbers of people, millions, already have it so it will be on its way out sooner rather than later.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I may have the wrong end of the stick but I don't see how taking social distancing seriously will make it end sooner, despite what Boris says, as it'll take longer to pass through the population slower? It will lead to fewer deaths though.

Our only hope on that front really is that vast numbers of people, millions, already have it so it will be on its way out sooner rather than later.

Yes. I agree. I believe the 'social distancing' policy is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed and an attempt to manage the spread of the disease, so far as that is possible.

We're in this for the long haul.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Don't forget those of us who will get naff all because we started a new job at the start of march. Im tearing my hair out its so illogical and unfair, I've been constantly in employment for 20 years.

Hopefully my company will be OK but it's hard to see how if it lasts for six months.
Not forgetting people in your situation at all mate.

As I have said on the "Yay Boris has saved the self employed" thread.

There are thousands of difference cases and most have been screwed.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Thanks for the replies.
To correct one thing here that I know is 100% true. Your wage is based on either average over 12 months or, if it is seasonal, wage this week last year.
#Gazwag where did this info come from?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Thanks for the replies.
To correct one thing here that I know is 100% true. Your wage is based on either average over 12 months or, if it is seasonal, wage this week last year.
#Gazwag where did this info come from?
That's the latest advice/policy yes.

Altered from when it was first announced.

All the information is here....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

A laborious read, but that's the current situation.

Nothing on how to actually claim yet though.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Grim.

Common sense would say that sales targets should be abandoned for now.

Yeah right! I work for a global, publicly listed company. We are heading into our Q4 and my target will be the same as it was published start of the FY. You can guarantee the company won't be forecasting a 'normal' Q4 to wall street

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The shit is going to hit the fan unless they change this stuff. Millions of people will be left with no money whatsoever.....

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Email from a employer to employee, (not mine) as you're on a minimum wage contract you will be aware that the minimum wage was due to rise from April 4th, this will now be deferred until we all get back to work and you will of course be receiving 80% of your contract hourly rate when we get this all sorted for you and the rest of our employees.

If I'm understanding that correctly no minimum pay rise (fair enough) but that company has no idea when it will be paying any wages to staff.

Those on minimum wages must be in a category of risk of having to borrow money from the sharks if they have no idea when they're to be paid, bloody awful situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here