Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Any recommendations for automated interior lighting?

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Hello NSC,

I have tried Hive lighting in conjunction with motion sensors but they really didn't work for me - mainly due to non-adjustable sensitivity of the motion sensors, everything else I quite liked.

So now I'm looking for possible alternatives.

The target is to cover my hallway lighting, upstairs and downstairs from the front door when coming into the house to a very low level light to guide me safely to the bathroom for a middle of the night pee...

Has anyone got any recommendations for lamps with a PIR built in which perhaps are also "smart" and can be grouped or programmed to do different things depending on the time of day?

Many thanks,

Papak

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I use Philips Hue lights, the best but also most expensive. You'd be looking at a lot of kit as well.
Starter kits have some bulbs plus the hub, essential (plus internet).
Additional items are sensors and switches.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-hue-smart-motion-sensor-white/8236v
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-hue-wireless-dimmer/8968v
What can you do?
With the sensor it can be timed to only work after dark. The switch has lots of settings and operates multiple lights and scenes. On top of all that you can set lights to come on when you arrive home.
The app has 1000's of settings. Lights to come on at dusk and of at dawn. Plus it all works with Alexa and IFTTT. Search Amazon for deals.
Ask me more if you want, I'm bored!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I have switches mounted on the walls in various places around the house, about 5 feet from floor level. When I press one way, the lights come on automatically. And when I press the other way, they automatically go off. Not sure where you get them from as they were fitted when I moved in.

You have not been charged for this information :thumbsup:

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I have switches mounted on the walls in various places around the house, about 5 feet from floor level. When I press one way, the lights come on automatically. And when I press the other way, they automatically go off. Not sure where you get them from as they were fitted when I moved in.

You have not been charged for this information :thumbsup:

Way too fancy for me - I use a torch

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I use Philips Hue lights, the best but also most expensive. You'd be looking at a lot of kit as well.
Starter kits have some bulbs plus the hub, essential (plus internet).
Additional items are sensors and switches.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-hue-smart-motion-sensor-white/8236v
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-hue-wireless-dimmer/8968v
What can you do?
With the sensor it can be timed to only work after dark. The switch has lots of settings and operates multiple lights and scenes. On top of all that you can set lights to come on when you arrive home.
The app has 1000's of settings. Lights to come on at dusk and of at dawn. Plus it all works with Alexa and IFTTT. Search Amazon for deals.
Ask me more if you want, I'm bored!

Thanks, do you have motion detection for triggering lighting?

My main reason for returning the Hive products was the annoyingness of the motion sensors, they appeared to work almost double the distance that the spec. said, plus the latency was erratic.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Thanks, do you have motion detection for triggering lighting?

My main reason for returning the Hive products was the annoyingness of the motion sensors, they appeared to work almost double the distance that the spec. said, plus the latency was erratic.
You could have tried the door sensors rather than motion sensors.
They activate lights when a door is open

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here