Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BBC Archive- Football Commentary

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some splendid stuff here to keep you going whilst doing whatever.

Currently listening to the 1966 World Cup Final. I'd never heard the radio version before. Wonderful stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06qct94

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Some splendid stuff here to keep you going whilst doing whatever.

Currently listening to the 1966 World Cup Final. I'd never heard the radio version before. Wonderful stuff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p06qct94

Does anyone have the BBC Radio Brighton commentary of our victory at Anfield in the 83 FA Cup? I think they actually released it on cassette tape.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does anyone have the BBC Radio Brighton commentary of our victory at Anfield in the 83 FA Cup? I think they actually released it on cassette tape.

I don't know, but I do feel that the Beeb should be making a lot more old radio available.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't know, but I do feel that the Beeb should be making a lot more old radio available.

I found a web archive of John Peel programmes a couple of years ago. It is not a BBC resource, and is password prorected (but easy enough to get a password). There are hundreds of fan-made programmes that are downloadable, increasing in abundance and quality with time, but some early ones from the early 70s in stereo and late 60s in mono. I'd love to see the BBC make all this avalable but they won't, owing to the impossibility of processing royalty payments. Such a shame.

That said, CITR Vancouver has loads of downloadable proggrammes of music so maybe the BBC are being needlessly unimaginative. It may be hard to monetize but so what?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I found a web archive of John Peel programmes a couple of years ago. It is not a BBC resource, and is password prorected (but easy enough to get a password). There are hundreds of fan-made programmes that are downloadable, increasing in abundance and quality with time, but some early ones from the early 70s in stereo and late 60s in mono. I'd love to see the BBC make all this avalable but they won't, owing to the impossibility of processing royalty payments. Such a shame.

That said, CITR Vancouver has loads of downloadable proggrammes of music so maybe the BBC are being needlessly unimaginative. It may be hard to monetize but so what?

Still have some Festive 50s on cassette! If only I had something to play them on...

Used to have a couple of tapes of Albion-related commentary, including our victory at the City Ground in 1979 and the goals from Newcastle when we won promotion. Unfortunately they were lost by Seagulls Tv when I leant them to him to upload to his site!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Here's some interesting facts.
BBC World Service took commentary of the final but not extra time.
The saying 'Back to square one' comes from radio commentary. In the old days the Radio Times would print out a pitch with numbered squares and the commentator would say where the ball was. Pass back to the goalie was 'back to square one'. Fact.

Bad news. It gives the result as soon as you open the page. Spoilt it for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll close my eyes when the page loads, count to to 100 and then open them again. That way I can enjoy the commentary without knowing the result.

Mind you, bearing in mind this is England, the chances are we'll cock it up.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
The saying 'Back to square one' comes from radio commentary. In the old days the Radio Times would print out a pitch with numbered squares and the commentator would say where the ball was. Pass back to the goalie was 'back to square one'. Fact.

re Back to square one.

1 - this is probably the best know 'little known fact' out there
2 - It's probably not right. The pitch was divided into rectangles for starters, with '1' being the corner flag to the middle of the goal for one team only.

square one.JPG

other factors that stand against it...(Quote)

What counts against radio commentaries being the source of 'back to square one' is:

The 'squares' are in fact rectangles. No commentary ever referred to them as squares.
The position marked as Area One on the BBC grid is at one end of the pitch - which isn't in any sense the beginning in a football game. For one team, Area One is near to their opponent's goal. For the other team it near their own.
Perhaps the most damning evidence is that the phrase isn't known in print before 1952. That's many years after the BBC abandoned the use of visual aids for radio sports commentaries.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

That is a MYTH, I'm pretty sure, as detailed by Rob, above.

'Back to square one' is a SNAKES & LADDERS thing, surely?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

There's currently 80,000 hours of radio, podcasts and music on BBC Sounds. Its adding a lot more archive during the crisis (see here https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/02bf6128-5a34-4410-b001-b522831d4b94 )

Hancock's Half Hour in full is being uploaded as we speak - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b009t2ld

and there's 56 progs featuring old football/sport commentary via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p06qbzmj

There's also thousands of episodes of Desert Island Discs (2000+) , In Our Time (800+), Letter from America, Free Thinking, and Archive on 4.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's currently 80,000 hours of radio, podcasts and music on BBC Sounds. Its adding a lot more archive during the crisis (see here https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/aboutthebbc/entries/02bf6128-5a34-4410-b001-b522831d4b94 )

Hancock's Half Hour in full is being uploaded as we speak - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/brand/b009t2ld

and there's 56 progs featuring old football/sport commentary via https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/series/p06qbzmj

There's also thousands of episodes of Desert Island Discs (2000+) , In Our Time (800+), Letter from America, Free Thinking, and Archive on 4.

Yeah, it's just the footie and cricket I'm after !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I did have for some reason, can't remember why but I think I might have actually taped the game. I do recall listening more than once to the commentator saying something along the lines of "and Gerry Ryan, who has done absolutely nothing all game, puts it in the back of the net". I must also have lost a bit of the commentary when I kicked the radio across the room when Johnstone equalised.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I did have for some reason, can't remember why but I think I might have actually taped the game. I do recall listening more than once to the commentator saying something along the lines of "and Gerry Ryan, who has done absolutely nothing all game, puts it in the back of the net". I must also have lost a bit of the commentary when I kicked the radio across the room when Johnstone equalised.

Seagulls TV dubbed the originally commentary on to the footage (game was filmed by Liverpool FC). Unfortunately all the stuff on that site was removed by the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here