Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Juventus players agree pay freeze

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's quite a saving. I wonder if this will trigger players at other clubs doing the same...

Juventus' players and manager Maurizio Sarri have agreed to their pay being stopped for four months to save the club an estimated 90m euros (£80.7m) during the coronavirus pandemic.

All sport in Italy has been suspended until at least 3 April.

The Juve squad, which includes Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey, will not be paid their full salaries in March, April, May and June.​

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52079747

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That's quite a saving. I wonder if this will trigger players at other clubs doing the same...

Juventus' players and manager Maurizio Sarri have agreed to their pay being stopped for four months to save the club an estimated 90m euros (£80.7m) during the coronavirus pandemic.

The Juve squad, which includes Portugal forward Cristiano Ronaldo and Wales midfielder Aaron Ramsey, will not be paid their full salaries in March, April, May and June.​

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

German clubs are agreeing this as well and apparently Leeds so all the other staff at the club remain paid

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Well if this this happens in the PL, the saving of wages could possibly have a % of it passed onto the lower leagues, as was requested recently.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The greedy epl lag

I get what you're saying, but does being paid eye-watering amounts of money constitute the basis for a pay freeze? If my employer told me that as I'm at home I can't really do my job so we aren't paying you for a bit, I'd be miffed.

If you cast footballers, on the other hand, like pop singers or circus performers then you can argue 'no play, no pay'. But equally that would mean that Ebbsfleet players, who are entertainers just like the Juve boys, should forego their wages too, shirly?

I suppose what I am saying is where and how do players transition from being people just earning a salary for their job to being star entertainers paid a fee for performances? Even in a single division we have the likes of Leeds whose players apparantly can take the hit, and the likes of Luton and Barnsley whose players may be more difficylt to persuade that, as entertainment artists, they should be like Cristiano Ronaldo.

As for using PL player's wages as a hardship fund for lower league players (someone's suggestion) it would be nice if done voluntarily.

This has wider relevance to something I was pondering last night (yes, in a dream) that I may well go back to on the relevant thread....

I hope you are well and are hunkered down :thumbsup:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I get what you're saying, but does being paid eye-watering amounts of money constitute the basis for a pay freeze? If my employer told me that as I'm at home I can't really do my job so we aren't paying you for a bit, I'd be miffed.

If you cast footballers, on the other hand, like pop singers or circus performers then you can argue 'no play, no pay'. But equally that would mean that Ebbsfleet players, who are entertainers just like the Juve boys, should forego their wages too, shirly?

I suppose what I am saying is where and how do players transition from being people just earning a salary for their job to being star entertainers paid a fee for performances? Even in a single division we have the likes of Leeds whose players apparantly can take the hit, and the likes of Luton and Barnsley whose players may be more difficylt to persuade that, as entertainment artists, they should be like Cristiano Ronaldo.

As for using PL player's wages as a hardship fund for lower league players (someone's suggestion) it would be nice if done voluntarily.

This has wider relevance to something I was pondering last night (yes, in a dream) that I may well go back to on the relevant thread....

If you earn more than the average annual salary every week and it's the difference between you getting paid and the cleaners, the cooks, the groundstaff and telephonists, etc getting paid then I think it's time to say, "I have enough in the bank to ride this through, make sure the others get paid boss."

It's not admirable or generous. It's just being respectful of those around you that let you indulge your hobby for life changing money.

I'd say the same of movie stars, rock stars and CEOs. Now is the time to show your humanity and put a little back into the communities that made your life so blessed.

I heard yesterday that Joe Wicks (no idea who he is but aware he has become the country's de facto gym teacher) has said the advertising revenue from high YouTube channel has sky rocketed. Rather than keep it all he has donated the whole lot to the NHS.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Morning HWT (I knows not, but it feels like it). All good in the family, with the exception of the cat who after three days of certain symptoms had to be taken to the vet hospital yesterday, breaking self isolation rules but with good precautions on both sides and never closer than two metres. After a overnight and lots of tests (he has had two ops before following similar symptoms) he is fine to come home at 2. Apparently he was just a bit grumpy, ffs, and I am now a grand lighter. I actually quite like he has got grumpy but I digress.

Yes, my throw away line was more about the whole epl than players. I know it’s complicated and lots of money involved but I would like the epl to take a community leadership role. By that I don’t mean a few calls to people and a few free tickets, I mean recognising they have a core role in our society and need to be part of it, proactively close the season, say we start again when the community it’s back on its feet, clubs supporting each other, and yes players recognising they are hero’s to many and are special and take action when many are losing their income of part of it. If they try and finish this season Behind closed,doors I won’t watch the money machine.

Hope you and family all good :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here