Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I am one who was absolutely against the restart and in particular, one or two posters who were crying like babies because they couldn't have their weekly football fix. They cared for nothing and no-one but themselves.

I am hugely relieved how well the Albion have done since the restart. I am really , really pleased it looks almost certain that we will remain in the Premier league for one more season. I don't know of course how we will fare next season. It remains to be seen.

What has definitely happened with the bottom five clubs is their consistently poor results since the restart.

I suggest that this is mainly down to there being no crowds, no atmosphere and in a surreal environment for them. The advantage that lesser clubs like ourselves had with a vociferous crowd behind us is lost. The advantage of winning a game has gone entirely to the clubs with more money. Next season may well be exactly the same. For a sport that is supposed to be for the fans this is detrimental.

All the Football Clubs and leagues would have been far better to spend this remaining season devising methods for getting back to 'normal' as quickly as possible. Instead , we have merely satisfied a few cry baby supporters at this club whilst supporters of other clubs have lost the opportunity of making a difference to their team remaining in the Premier League ( or Championship league etc etc etc ).

Overall I think the restart has been utter rubbish, unfair and sterile. Without the canned, (out of sync) noises to accompany the matches on TV , I doubt many would be enjoying it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I suggest that this is mainly down to there being no crowds, no atmosphere and in a surreal environment for them. The advantage that lesser clubs like ourselves had with a vociferous crowd behind us is lost. The advantage of winning a game has gone entirely to the clubs with more money. Next season may well be exactly the same. For a sport that is supposed to be for the fans this is detrimental.

nah, its down to the fact that the bottom 5 are crap.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I think the 5 subs has favored the bigger richer teams and I hope like the drinks break it is dropped.

Anyway test cricket starts today so sod the football.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
nah, its down to the fact that the bottom 5 are crap.

They certainly have been very very poor since the restart, which is my point.

With the bottom three clubs thay have amassed 2 points in the last 15 games between them ( 5 x 3 ). If they were to have performed like that throughout this season, with the 100 games they have so far , they would have amassed a total of 13 points. They actually have 75 points between them. A huge difference between games played with supporters and games played without supporters.

The integrity of this seasons Premier league has been seriously compromised by the restart rules.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
According to an article in The Athletic today it looks like five substitutes will continue to be the norm next season:

World football’s law-makers are set to extend the temporary rule allowing teams to make five substitutes in a game, rather than three, for all of next season.
The International Football Association Board (IFAB) introduced the change in May as a short-term measure to protect players in leagues that would be trying to finish the 2019-20 season after the Covid-related lockdown — the rationale being that players would be playing a congested schedule after a long lay-off, with only a limited “pre-season” period to return to fitness.

The Athletic understands that IFAB’s board of directors is expected to announce the extension in the coming days.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I was all in favour.
I said we'd win loads.
I knew Bournemouth villa and Norwich would be relegated.
I said palace would be proper proper shite.
I was adamant Lamptey was a little gem.

#TheNSCWay.

Not too keen on this newfound honesty.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I wonder how many would be celebrating the return as so successful had the results been slightly less favourable.

At the time.i had lost interest completely. Had no intention of watching regardless of results. Wasnt massively concerned if we did take the hit of relegation under what would be a shell of normal football. I'd expected us to be deep in the mire by now. Naturally I'm pleased some of the pressure is now off. I wonder though if we wouldve got to this point had the virus still been running riot

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

With the bottom three clubs thay have amassed 2 points in the last 15 games between them ( 5 x 3 ). If they were to have performed like that throughout this season, with the 100 games they have so far , they would have amassed a total of 13 points. They actually have 75 points between them. A huge difference between games played with supporters and games played without supporters.

The integrity of this seasons Premier league has been seriously compromised by the restart rules.

That's taking a very small sample and extrapolating it over a season. Many of those bottom clubs have played top 6/7 clubs. Villa hadn't won in 6 games prior to the lockdown so on that sample they'd only get about 10 points all season with a crowd.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

At the end of the day it’s 11v11. In fact you could claim that this is the purest form of football competition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Well done PL, EFL and the Government, for the determination to get this season completed. Including our very own TB and PB.

I’ve loved these last few weeks so much, my football mojo 10/10.

The winners - Brighton, Leeds, WBA, Liverpool, ManU, sadly Villa and West Ham, Spuds, Luton.

The losers - Leicester, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Watford.

Roll on next season, UTA.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here