Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Cracking article by Jonathan Lieu in The Guardian this morning:

Well done, everyone: we did it. They said it wasn’t possible. They said it wasn’t safe. They said it would be tactless to start up one of the world’s most lucrative sports leagues while thousands are dying. They said it wouldn’t be a fair competition. They may still be right about all of this, of course. More on that in a moment.

But for now, football is back. Watch it. Drink it in. Lose yourself in a pure six-week football bender: 92 Premier League fixtures, spread across every day of the week and every conceivable time slot, all of it live on television, much of it free to air. Take that, null-and-voiders; dry your tears, PPG; up yours, Troy Deeney. Football is back and all it took was the spectre of financial catastrophe and the sight of Germany handling things far more adeptly.

FULL ARTICLE HERE >>> https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-league-restart-spectre-financial-catastrophe

"One of the more amusing claims for the game’s return is that it will represent a return to normality, as if watching Wolves v Everton on a baking hot July evening at a deserted Molineux on BBC Two will be anything of the sort"

Indeed!

(And well done Bozza for editing)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Well done, everyone: we did it. They said it wasn’t possible. They said it wasn’t safe. They said it would be tactless to start up one of the world’s most lucrative sports leagues while thousands are dying. They said it wouldn’t be a fair competition. They may still be right about all of this, of course. More on that in a moment.

But for now, football is back. Watch it. Drink it in. Lose yourself in a pure six-week football bender: 92 Premier League fixtures, spread across every day of the week and every conceivable time slot, all of it live on television, much of it free to air. Take that, null-and-voiders; dry your tears, PPG; up yours, Troy Deeney. Football is back and all it took was the spectre of financial catastrophe and the sight of Germany handling things far more adeptly.

FULL ARTICLE HERE >>> https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-league-restart-spectre-financial-catastrophe

'Up yours Troy Deeney'. And people mock Mail readers...

Deeney has even been trolled with people hoping his child get's the virus - nice one Guardian!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sorry to moan but can we please put to bed the recurrent nonsense mantra that the return of football will boost the morale of the nation. As unbelievable as it may seem to us there is a huge proportion of the population don't give a monkeys.

We'll find out in due course, but IMHO that's bollocks!

Just getting a non-covid story in the news will make a difference, I reckon there'll be a lot of interest from non football fans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We'll find out in due course, but IMHO that's bollocks!

Just getting a non-covid story in the news will make a difference, I reckon there'll be a lot of interest from non football fans.
There's a lot of indifference from football fans. Why on earth would the return of a sport that someone doesn't like, please them?

I don't like snooker or darts. I wouldn't have a 'morale boost' if they were on the telly.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

As always a brilliant piece of writing from Lieu and he sums up perfectly how I feel about it.

Off topic he is the best sports journalist out there at the moment IMO. Brilliant, intelliegent and consistent writing.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

As always a brilliant piece of writing from Lieu and he sums up perfectly how I feel about it.

Off topic he is the best sports journalist out there at the moment IMO. Brilliant, intelliegent and consistent writing.

If, by "brilliant, intelligent" you actually mean "crass, insensitive", you probably have a fair point.

Lol.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sorry to moan but can we please put to bed the recurrent nonsense mantra that the return of football will boost the morale of the nation. As unbelievable as it may seem to us there is a huge proportion of the population don't give a monkeys.

including people who will class themselves as a football supporter

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's a lot of indifference from football fans. Why on earth would the return of a sport that someone doesn't like, please them?

I don't like snooker or darts. I wouldn't have a 'morale boost' if they were on the telly.

There could be a world cup type effect. When the world cup is on everyone talks about it, the pubs are full of armchair fans who never normally watch football.

As far as I can tell most of the football fans moaning about it on here are grumpy old men!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
There could be a world cup type effect. When the world cup is on everyone talks about it, the pubs are full of armchair fans who never normally watch football.

As far as I can tell most of the football fans moaning about it on here are grumpy old men!
You may be right however the world cup is full of atmosphere. Imagine a world cup without any fans. It would be 99% diminished.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

I counted myself amongst those indifferent about the resumption of the season behind closed doors but now it looks like it really will happen I’m looking forward, with a level of anticipation, to watching the Albion play again.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Agent Norwood says 'Sheffield Utd are ready to play now'. Augurs well for us in their first match against Aston 'Grealish' Villa :smile:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Err, why? In what way is he crass or insensitive?
I'd have thought that is obvious.

'Up yours, Troy Deeney'. That is Troy Deeney with a child who has breething difficulties - which is the reason he is concerned about passing on Covid-19.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I'd have thought that is obvious.

'Up yours, Troy Deeney'. That is Troy Deeney with a child who has breething difficulties - which is the reason he is concerned about passing on Covid-19.
He's writing out about the motivations for restarting football now, not saying he agrees with them. That section is satire targeting those who have no sympathy with Deeney.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It seems weird to me that anyone can read those two paragraphs and not catch the sarcasm. If you can't spot it in the opening paragraph, long before the Deeney comment, I'm not sure that reading the entire article will be much help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here