Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I suggested a few weeks ago that there is little chance of 70+ supporters being allowed into the Amex next season, and perhaps not until 2022, and no one seemed that bothered. Surprised me.

(I imagine almost all supporters in that age group are STHs - clearly they would be offered a refund but it might be nice if the they were allowed to keep their payments going but nominate a named individual to keep their seat warm.)

Concourses, park’n’ride and the loos, especially in colder weather, will be perfect for coronavirus.

Going by 90% of NSC posts on these type of threads, they all seem fine with behind closed doors football for the next couple of years.

Based on my first sentence and a lack of a vaccine, that’s what they’ll get.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Now that is social distancing - 2 fans per seating area?

It would be bonkers if they did something like this (but obviously not as extreme). Imagine if attendances were capped at 5,000 and spread throughout the stadium. How would they decide who should get tickets? Imagine the NSC binfest!

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
It would be bonkers if they did something like this (but obviously not as extreme). Imagine if attendances were capped at 5,000 and spread throughout the stadium. How would they decide who should get tickets? Imagine the NSC binfest!

Loyalty points :whistle:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

2 metres distancing will be required at all times, as firmly pointed out by Sturgeon today. That will be impossible to achieve on stairways, concourses, loos, park'n'ride, trains and 1901 catering scenarios.

We won't be able to visit the Amex until well into the future.

August 2022 start?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
2 metres distancing will be required at all times, as firmly pointed out by Sturgeon today. That will be impossible to achieve on stairways, concourses, loos, park'n'ride, trains and 1901 catering scenarios.

I have a plan...

victorian-ladies-fashions-of-the-1860s-crinolines-and-hoopskirts-illustration-id648786584

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Rotation? If we have 20k Season ticket holders, and 5k are allowed per match, we each get to go to 1 in 4 matches

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Getting to and from matches, stairwells, loos, concourses - how will everyone stay 2m minimum apart at all times?

By observing social distancing rules. 1 person onto a train into a stairwell at a time. I'm sure it can work, but it will take time and patience.

I personally don't think it will happen, but you never know.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
By observing social distancing rules. 1 person onto a train into a stairwell at a time. I'm sure it can work, but it will take time and patience.

I personally don't think it will happen, but you never know.

And a 24 hour wait to get on a train if social distancing continues (which it will), by which time you will have missed the match!

I see Andy Naylor has just tweeted that 'Brighton chief executive Paul Barber was "quite shocked" to hear the government's Chief Medical Officer talk yesterday in terms of social distancing measures carrying on for the rest of the year' - If this is to be believed then what planet has he been on?

This has been coming for the last couple of weeks and even though I appreciate the focus on all clubs has been to finish the current season (if possible), but my view has been 'what about the bigger picture' of next season? Surely behind the scenes Barber, Bloom, and Ashworth have been discussing the potential ramifications of either not playing next season at all or at best, matches being played behind closed doors. I'm pretty sure they will have discussed this possibility privately even if they won't pubicly say it. Very much like the whole football league - I'm sure in private people are coming up with ideas in the event of a Plan A, B, or C.

This is important not just for us but the smaller clubs down the leagues. Social distancing was never going to be just suddenly thrown away and even though most of us expect the lockdown to ease in a couple of weeks, we're certainly going to be advised to continue observing the principle of keeping apart for months to come.

I would love to see the Albion play at the Amex again this year but think I have more chance of winning the lottery.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

We won't be able to visit the Amex until well into the future.

August 2022 start?

No different to supermarket aisles really. How many people actually manage to keep 2m apart? If the seating is spaced out, people would just need to be careful in the concourses (which would be only a sixth full compared to normal, if the crowd was 5k). I think you're right about transport though - that would be an issue.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No different to supermarket aisles really. How many people actually manage to keep 2m apart? If the seating is spaced out, people would just need to be careful in the concourses (which would be only a sixth full compared to normal, if the crowd was 5k). I think you're right about transport though - that would be an issue.

Plus other pinch points of stairwells, loos, and how do you pass someone in your row of seats?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I don't want to be jumped on for starting another thread, but at this moment do you think that the current season will be finished?
(Not, what you think SHOULD happen).
I was fairly certain that it would be cancelled, but I'm now beginning to realise just how determined the Premier League are to get it restarted and completed.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Imagine if attendances were capped at 5,000 and spread throughout the stadium. How would they decide who should get tickets? Imagine the NSC binfest!

Would anyone actually want to attend a game in a 30'000 seat stadium with a crowd capped at 5k? I can't imagine anything more soulless, to be honest.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
BBC sport saying that UEFA are giving the Scottish premier League the option to cease the league and call the outcome themselves, if I've read it right. Celtic can be champions and Hearts to be relegated. Can you imagine that in England. Perhaps so with Liverpool, but the relegation places?!

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
BBC sport saying that UEFA are giving the Scottish premier League the option to cease the league and call the outcome themselves, if I've read it right. Celtic can be champions and Hearts to be relegated. Can you imagine that in England. Perhaps so with Liverpool, but the relegation places?!
Sense seems to be slowly creeping in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here