Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit slow here, but why should Leeds and West Brom be promoted again? Because they happen to be first and second at the point we stopped? Fulham are only 6 points behind with 9 games to go, hardly an unbreachable gap (especially when you consider Leeds were doing a pretty good job at ballsing it up (again) before this). For that matter it's only 11 points back to Brentford and Forest, they aren't out of the running yet.

It's a very different conversation to the Liverpool one, they were going to win the league pretty much nailed on. Was it nailed on Leeds and West Brom would both go up? Do you guys not remember how in the Championship only a fool predicts what happens next?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Sorry, maybe I'm being a bit slow here, but why should Leeds and West Brom be promoted again? Because they happen to be first and second at the point we stopped? Fulham are only 6 points behind with 9 games to go, hardly an unbreachable gap (especially when you consider Leeds were doing a pretty good job at ballsing it up (again) before this). For that matter it's only 11 points back to Brentford and Forest, they aren't out of the running yet.

It's a very different conversation to the Liverpool one, they were going to win the league pretty much nailed on. Was it nailed on Leeds and West Brom would both go up? Do you guys not remember how in the Championship only a fool predicts what happens next?

Leeds are 7 points above Fulham and just won their last 5 games. Fulham’s form has been far more patchy.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Fulham still have to play both of the top two. Win those games and the table looks rather different.

5 away games left, 4 at home, away to Leeds, West Brom and Forest. Most recent away results drawn Bristol City, Derby, Millwall, lost away to B’Burn, drew Charlton, their last away win was at Hull 11 Jan. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be putting any money on them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
5 away games left, 4 at home, away to Leeds, West Brom and Forest. Most recent away results drawn Bristol City, Derby, Millwall, lost away to B’Burn, drew Charlton, their last away win was at Hull 11 Jan. Put it this way, I wouldn’t be putting any money on them.

That’s really not the point. Clearly Leeds and WBA are strong favourites to secure the automatic places. That’s ALL they are though. It absolutely isn’t ‘done’ and it is a nonsense to suggest that it is.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
That’s really not the point. Clearly Leeds and WBA are strong favourites to secure the automatic places. That’s ALL they are though. It absolutely isn’t ‘done’ and it is a nonsense to suggest that it is.

Not to mention that with Leeds slipping a bit and Fulham not great away, that becomes meaningless with a mini pre season before they get going again. The form going into the last game wont be relevant after this break

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
We had the Championship title "sewn up"..........until we didn't.

Anything can happen in the run-in. Would be a travesty to promote Leeds based on the current table.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm not bothered about what the EFL does, just want the PL sorted. The never ending season is doing my head in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
... just want the PL sorted. The never ending season is doing my head in.

Genuine question, but is it really?

I have to be honest and say I couldn’t give a **** about the PL at the moment but appreciate that others will feel differently.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Genuine question, but is it really?

I have to be honest and say I couldn’t give a **** about the PL at the moment but appreciate that others will feel differently.

Yes it is. The lingering, unending uncertainty of the season is really hacking me off. Just want a line drawn under it so we can move on and look to the future whatever that is, not this unfinishing stasis.
I appreciate it is only April, but by mid May I'd hope we at least get a roadmap for what is going to happen.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Yes it is. The lingering, unending uncertainty of the season is really hacking me off. Just want a line drawn under it so we can move on and look to the future whatever that is, not this unfinishing stasis.
I appreciate it is only April, but by mid May I'd hope we at least get a roadmap for what is going to happen.

I agree 100%. It's an unsettling issue that I could do without.
Like most other people I have enough other stuff to worry about, but it would be helpful if we could unload the stress of it and relax about that particular sideshow in our life.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I have a question. It might be a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If football restarts before social distancing measures are relaxed then I presume that the squad, management, training/coaching staff, medical staff, ground staff etc will have to be tested on a regular basis. So how are the club managing to acquire testing kits when there are insufficient testing kits for NHS staff, social care workers etc?

If the club has testing kits, shouldn't they be donating them to the NHS?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

If football restarts before social distancing measures are relaxed then I presume that the squad, management, training/coaching staff, medical staff, ground staff etc will have to be tested on a regular basis. So how are the club managing to acquire testing kits when there are insufficient testing kits for NHS staff, social care workers etc?

Not a dumb question and just one of the many reasons the PL won't really be restarting any time soon...

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Good point. And I have a follow-up dumb question: What happens if/when a player/coach/manager contracts the virus? Surely the whole squad is then required to go into isolation (plus, presumably the whole squad of any opposition that has been played in the previous couple of weeks?). These players then can't play for at least two weeks, I assume? I don't understand how the timescales can cater for this sort of scenario.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Of course the problem is the players , staff etc go home to their families every night - who are possibly in contact with others. So really you need daily tests, for everyone.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
The players will end the season if the authorities don't, it only takes 1 player to come out and say they are not happy about NHS resources being at games and wont play in games when people are still in hospital, and the season is over.

No player is going to take the risk of getting it and taking it home to the family. I suspect a lot of players feel this way and are rightly leaving it to the organisations to handle before they have to step in if needed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Sorry, it appears like my point has been combined with thinking Leeds should be promoted if the season ended now, I can see why given the posts I was responding to, but that wasn't really what I was saying. I was more just pointing out what a strong position they are currently in. The question of promoting/relegating if all games haven't been played is an emotive one, I don't see how you can do it personally. Crushing for teams like Liverpool and Leeds, elation for the likes of Norwich.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i believe the bottle neck is at the labs, in capacity and chemicals. if these could be solved privately, here or abroad, that wouldnt be a burden on NHS.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Of course the problem is the players , staff etc go home to their families every night - who are possibly in contact with others. So really you need daily tests, for everyone.

Daily test won't even be a fail safe. There are examples of people in hospital exhibiting all the classic symptoms of covid-19 but the tests they had were negative (known as a false negative). So a player could have the virus but initially not shown on the test and go on to infect others before a test proves positive.

The point remains that ti will only take one first team player to become infected and test positive for the whole thing to come crashing down!

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-how-accurate-are-coronavirus-tests-135972

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here