Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I can see a lot of players and staff at the wrong end of the tables coming down with the virus before a ball is kicked if they insist on continuing the season,or am I being cynical.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This. They'll doubtless finish it SOMETIME. But anything more specific is just so much hot air

As per my post yesterday, about players unlikely to resume playing until the virus is pretty much completely eradicated, I’m not convinced the season will finish. The virus won’t be eradicated for a while and then there’s a huge backlog of domestic and European games. I really struggle to see how all this can be completed anytime soon especially with contracts running out etc. As every day passes bining off the season makes far more sense.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
All assumption.

Chelsea stars and agents already on a collision course with club over this.

You can't override employment law. Wait until it ends up in court.

No of course they can leave Chelsea on that day, my point is why would they want to? They can't be registered for another club until the transfer window has opened, which it won't do until the season has ended. So they would just be sitting around watching other people playing football, plus doing themselves out of a couple of months wages from Chelsea.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
i expect rules on registration wouldnt be altered, so that short contract would count and have consequences for transfers/registration later in the season.

I would be certain that rules on registration would be altered, there would be a UEFA-wide agreement that player registrations are extended to the new end date of the season, and the opening of the transfer window delayed to that point.

Its a very simple thing to do, and would be completely consistent with the current rules of the UEFA competitions that players can't switch clubs in the last few weeks of the season and loans continue to the season end.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
All assumption.

Chelsea stars and agents already on a collision course with club over this.

You can't override employment law. Wait until it ends up in court.
Precisely what part of employment law would they be breaking? If the contract ends on 30th.June that's it, the club have no further responsibility to pay wages. The player is free to seek alternative employment; the contract has been fulfilled on both sides; there is no comeback. The player is unemployed, just like anybody else at the end of a fixed term contract,

If the club offer to extend the contract - whether one month, or three, or on a rolling month by month basis - that's a perfectly legal offer.The player can accept or they can refuse. No grounds for a law suit anywhere in sight.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Precisely what part of employment law would they be breaking? If the contract ends on 30th.June that's it, the club have no further responsibility to pay wages. The player is free to seek alternative employment; the contract has been fulfilled on both sides; there is no comeback. The player is unemployed, just like anybody else at the end of a fixed term contract,

If the club offer to extend the contract - whether one month, or three, or on a rolling month by month basis - that's a perfectly legal offer.The player can accept or they can refuse. No grounds for a law suit anywhere in sight.

I agree that they can easily get around the legal requirements, but I would imagine that there will be plenty of players being advised by agents not to risk injury for the sake of 6 weeks of football when they have a 3 year multi-million pound deal lined up with a new club.
I think there will be a few hamstring strains appearing and fever-like symptoms is they are asked to play after June.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As per my post yesterday, about players unlikely to resume playing until the virus is pretty much completely eradicated, I’m not convinced the season will finish. The virus won’t be eradicated for a while and then there’s a huge backlog of domestic and European games. I really struggle to see how all this can be completed anytime soon especially with contracts running out etc. As every day passes bining off the season makes far more sense.

Sorry, but half disagree. For sure, the European comps could probably be binned off with not much loss of aything at all. But bin off the domestic competitions and the likes of say Leeds will haul the leagues through the courts for forever and a day. And bin the domestic competions off for what reason? So some pie in the sky 2020-21 season can go ahead as per some dates that will be pure BS wishful thinking? Makes no sense. Life will return to normal slowly. Why the rush to bin off this season only to more than likely bin off the start of next season also? As for players contracts, well FIFA could easily put a global moratorium on any player transfers for as long as it takes.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Sorry, but half disagree. For sure, the European comps could probably be binned off with not much loss of aything at all. But bin off the domestic competitions and the likes of say Leeds will haul the leagues through the courts for forever and a day. And bin the domestic competions off for what reason? So some pie in the sky 2020-21 season can go ahead as per some dates that will be pure BS wishful thinking? Makes no sense. Life will return to normal slowly. Why the rush to bin off this season only to more than likely bin off the start of next season also? As for players contracts, well FIFA could easily put a global moratorium on any player transfers for as long as it takes.

on what grounds?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How would they prove that though as it is only an assumption that they would get promoted
Precisely. I expect there'll be one or two test cases which will be rightly thrown out on the grounds that football clubs have no more special rights in the face of the Corona epidemic tan than the many other firms who will lose a lot of money - some of them a lot more disastrously tan just having their plans put back a year or two.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Again, whilst this is speculation, this makes a mockery of the league and puts us at a significant disadvantage. Having played Man City, Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal away we would lose our home advantage by playing these games behind closed doors. If they can't complete the season under the same terms as before (and already players returning from injury etc gives some teams an advantage they wouldn't have had) then they should just bin it. And that's before you consider the logistical and moral issues of having emergency services etc present for a behind closed doors match. Play in front of a full crowd or not at all.

Unfortunately Sky and BT could withhold a huge amount of the television rights payment if the league isn’t completed which could ultimately bankrupt football. They will be desperate to find a way to finish and who we’ve played away won’t be considered at all.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dunno, but you can bet your life they'd have a pretty good go at it through the courts tho eh?

If UEFA make the decision, I’d like to see who would run out of money first. Leeds or UEFA

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I read somewhere that games could be played at neutral grounds to prevent this from happening. That of course would take away any advantage from the 'home' team.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Well, if all games are played at a neutral ground why does that need to be in the UK? Could they be played in places like Australia, New Zealand or even China? Would they expect to be virus free soon - although maybe they wouldn't want us there anyway (but it would cut down on fans trying to get there).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, if all games are played at a neutral ground why does that need to be in the UK? Could they be played in places like Australia, New Zealand or even China? Would they expect to be virus free soon - although maybe they wouldn't want us there anyway (but it would cut down on fans trying to get there).

Yeh, we'll pack 'em all on a plane and fly them out to somewhere else that also has the virus. Great thinking.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I’m not sure FIFA can simply override or change contracts that were signed under pre-existing FIFA rules and local FA and employment law. And I’m not suggesting a rush, the opposite in fact. The longer this goes on the more impractical it seems to complete the leagues; especially if players have left clubs due to contract expiration. In Friday’s PFA, EPL and EFL meeting it was suggested players could not play on insurance grounds until the virus is eradicated and it’s safe for everyone to go out again; so completing the league seems a long way off. And Leeds might have a case, but if it’s deemed impractical to finish the leagues I’m not sure how much of a case. And if the EFL take a vote to bin off the season then I understand they won’t have a case as the rules of membership mean they have to abide by democratic decisions.

That said, there will need to be some practical outcome which most are happy with but I do not think it will involve the staging of the remaining games.

Personally, I will support any solution which sees West Ham relegated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here