Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Surely It has to be decided before then . The make up of next years prem has to be known so as to work out fixtures for next season starting August.

actually I would fear for the Albion in those circumstances. After a long lay off, we would need a pre season to get going again. I worry that we would not pick up the momentum and lose matches. Anyway , with more and more players going down with it how are teams to field teams?

Momentum? What, you mean that winning streak we're on? :wink:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Out of contract players on 30/6 can surely do what they want. No decision made by the football authorities could override their contractual rights. I guess some might be offered/choose to accept short extensions to see the ‘season’ out but they wouldn’t have to.........so some teams might be more impacted than others.

For me it’s looking increasingly unlikely there is much chance of getting the season completed before July (on the news now they are talking about the lockdown going into June). I guess a mad month of fixtures in July could be arranged but even arrangements for that could only be provisional as no-one knows what the situation will look like then, and things could change at short notice.

If I was betting now it’d be on the season being scrapped.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
If they started playing behind closed doors there would be plenty of brainless fans that would gather outside the stadiums requiring a police presence.

Can you really believe that Liverpool and Leeds fans would remain in self-isolation once their team are about to be crowned champions or get promoted?
The police and government won't allow it to happen.

By June society will be going stir crazy and the authorities would not want to encourage spontaneous and chaotic mass gatherings.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
In simple terms players are going to have to be paid less - whether pay cuts in short term or less long term as well

Some businesses will fail - there will be less sponsors and less tv subscribers as people cut back

Reality will take a long time to implode into the "bubble" in which football operates - but the longer it takes for this to happen the more painful it will be

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Also, if star players at for example Chelsea walk away at contract end on June 30th, then that is a massive advantage to West Ham, Watford and Norwich.

The league integrity is gone if it goes into July or beyond.

I can't think of a reason why any player would walk away at that time, they wouldn't be able to play for any other team in Europe until this season had been completed. They're already able to discuss pre-contract terms with other clubs. No, they would be offered and accept a short 1-2 month extension to their contracts, and then be able to walk away once the season was completed.

If they walked away at contract end they'd just be sitting around fiddling with their fingers and not getting paid until the season ended and the transfer window opened.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It was mentioned on BBC FiveLive that Juventus players and coaching staff have accepted to receive no pay for four months saving the club £80 million.
I wonder if it secretly suits most clubs to write off the season and just start planning for next season with most of the ifs and buts removed.

In public no club is going to want to be as honest as West Ham's Karen Brady declaring they expect the season to be made null and void.
She was battered for giving her honest view which in actual fact is probably the most likely outcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its media speculation, read the original source the Mirror is using and it may as well be writen by one of us for the validity it has. July may have been a plan discussed in a conference call. it doesnt even make much sence, if we come out of isolation some point in April there's May and June to play games.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In simple terms players are going to have to be paid less - whether pay cuts in short term or less long term as well

Some businesses will fail - there will be less sponsors and less tv subscribers as people cut back

Reality will take a long time to implode into the "bubble" in which football operates - but the longer it takes for this to happen the more painful it will be

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52036612

Already players in Germany and I believe Italy doing the right thing, time for some of the Premier League clubs to follow their example

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I can't think of a reason why any player would walk away at that time, they wouldn't be able to play for any other team in Europe until this season had been completed. They're already able to discuss pre-contract terms with other clubs. No, they would be offered and accept a short 1-2 month extension to their contracts, and then be able to walk away once the season was completed.

If they walked away at contract end they'd just be sitting around fiddling with their fingers and not getting paid until the season ended and the transfer window opened.
All assumption.

Chelsea stars and agents already on a collision course with club over this.

You can't override employment law. Wait until it ends up in court.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With suggestions that the lockdown could last into June and become more severe I can't see the league restarting and being concluded in July behind closed doors.
Just from the fitness situation I would expect clubs will need a number of friendlies to get players back to match fitness.

I've mentally accepted no football until at least October

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
If they started playing behind closed doors there would be plenty of brainless fans that would gather outside the stadiums requiring a police presence.

Can you really believe that Liverpool and Leeds fans would remain in self-isolation once their team are about to be crowned champions or get promoted?

By June society will be going stir crazy and the authorities would not want to encourage spontaneous and chaotic mass gatherings.
I read somewhere that games could be played at neutral grounds to prevent this from happening. That of course would take away any advantage from the 'home' team.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I can see 10,000's of Newcastle fans going to St James' to protest about Ashley.

While there they'd probably buy food from the club, if they laid it on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i expect rules on registration wouldnt be altered, so that short contract would count and have consequences for transfers/registration later in the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here