Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With work manic, and all my staff superb under tremendous stress and pressure, I said yesterday to Harty Junior, I actually don't care what league the Albion are in next season, when it eventually starts.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Managed to secure two season tickets in the north after two years in exile when the 20/21 season starts.

On average there were 40ish seats available in every block this morning

Wondering if the season is completed over the summer whether we will see a significantly shorter gap before next season with a bigger winter break?

No guarantee at the minute that the “new” season won’t start behind closed doors either I suspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 5, 2011
Acording to a swedish newspaper reports FIFA will be publishing guidelines later today concerning how different national leagues should finish their seasons. The length of player contracts and transfer windows are to be pushed forward beyond june 30th so that league seasons can be completed.

Again sorry about the link benig in swedish.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbla...t-och-transferfonster-kommer-att-flyttas-fram

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
La Liga now talking about restarting late May - early/mid June. Confirmed that no La Liga club will take any money from Spanish Government either, good to hear they are able to do so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bayern Munich and many other Bundesliga clubs resumed "socially distanced" training yesterday.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just as an aside Bayern Munich players returned to training today ..in small groups ..according to Talkshite

Sky News mentioned just then that in Germany, The Netherlands and Italy, in general so way beyond football, politicians and the public are now openly discussing timetables to bring the lockdown to a close sooner rather than later. To get entire economies and life back to normal.

They (the Sky person, with no evidence, typically of them) expects those discussions to start in the UK in the next couple of weeks too.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They (the Sky person, with no evidence, typically of them) expects those discussions to start in the UK in the next couple of weeks too.

I would hope lots of preliminary discussions are being had right now, at the very least. We are fortunate in getting to watch China, South Korea, Italy and Spain go ahead of us, in terms of relaxing measures and what that means.

I would suspect a further lockdown of 2-3 weeks to be announced soon, and if we peak this week, we may be able to look at some (very minimal) relaxations of the lockdown at the end of that further period. If trends persist.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sky News mentioned just then that in Germany, The Netherlands and Italy, in general so way beyond football, politicians and the public are now openly discussing timetables to bring the lockdown to a close sooner rather than later. To get entire economies and life back to normal.

If they do I’m assuming it will only be a gentle loosen and not at first what we can consider totally normal ..health will dictate economy (if you don’t feel safe you won’t go out and buy that drink etc) ..but hey I’m just guessing

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If they do I’m assuming it will only be a gentle loosen and not at first what we can consider totally normal ..health will dictate economy (if you don’t feel safe you won’t go out and buy that drink etc) ..but hey I’m just guessing

I wonder whether it will be regional, in line with testing that region also - i.e. you can move freely, but only within your town/village, then cities, then within your county, etc - all the while aggressively tracking, tracing and testing to shut down each reoccurrence.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
If the Albion have told players to take a holiday until start of May that suggests no football until June at the earliest if the players need around 3 weeks to get back up to fitness.

Sending Ryan back to Australia does possibly suggest it will be more long term or season abandoned, as he has 2 week quarantine on arrival in Aus, and the club do not know whether he could face similar on his return to the UK if we start doing that. Big rogue taking that risk if there was any chance of the season starting back up.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
But.. Jose training players in a public park suggests he hasn't given up hope of a re-start!! :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If the Albion have told players to take a holiday until start of May that suggests no football until June at the earliest if the players need around 3 weeks to get back up to fitness.

The fact that later events, such as Wimbledon and The Open have been cancelled - as have August events such as the Edinburgh Festival and Pride does suggest that June football is wildly optimistic. I'd be very surprised to see football until August (at least).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just out of interest cos I haven’t switched it on for weeks, what are talkSport filling their time with?

Current stuff like Liverpool furloughing staff...Grealish and Walkers misdemeanours ...speculating on league starts ...financial crisis ...quiz’s ...reruns of days gone by ...what players are up too etc etc interspersed with adverts telling you to stay indoors and Wickes reminding us they are still around but not able to do a lot zzzzz

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
The fact that later events, such as Wimbledon and The Open have been cancelled - as have August events such as the Edinburgh Festival and Pride does suggest that June football is wildly optimistic. I'd be very surprised to see football until August (at least).

Big factor will be preparedness for Premier League governing body to be play matches behind closed doors. This wouldn’t surprise me with TV money pressures. It would be another nail puncturing the integrity of the 19/20 campaign

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Those cancellations are more reflective of each event's dependency on revenue from crowds and imminent incurrence of most of their costs. They also aren't three-quarters of the way finished with TV deals worth the best part of a billion quid to fulfill.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Big factor will be preparedness for Premier League governing body to be play matches behind closed doors. This wouldn’t surprise me with TV money pressures. It would be another nail puncturing the integrity of the 19/20 campaign

If the first matches of the 2020/21 are behind closed doors, does that render the entire 2020/21 season as having no integrity too?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
If the first matches of the 2020/21 are behind closed doors, does that render the entire 2020/21 season as having no integrity too?

Yep. For me it does although if everyone knows where they stand at the start of the new season and the behind closed games are somehow decided fairly then it might be better than nothing. But for this season definitely not. Home advantage is a massive issue in football, less so in other sports. Again, using this season as an example, having played the big boys away the first half of the season it's a massive disadvantage if we then play them behind closed doors for our "home" matches. It's changing the rules midway through the season and could easily be the difference between staying up and going down for a club like us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here