Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep. For me it does although if everyone knows where they stand at the start of the new season and the behind closed games are somehow decided fairly then it might be better than nothing. But for this season definitely not. Home advantage is a massive issue in football, less so in other sports. Again, using this season as an example, having played the big boys away the first half of the season it's a massive disadvantage if we then play them behind closed doors for our "home" matches. It's changing the rules midway through the season and could easily be the difference between staying up and going down for a club like us.

Thanks, an honest reply, getting to the heart of footballing issues as an Albion fan about our campaign and relegation prospects.

Not everyone comes clean in these ‘abandon the 2019/20 season’ threads, that they’re at all influenced by the Albion’s potential relegation.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the first matches of the 2020/21 are behind closed doors, does that render the entire 2020/21 season as having no integrity too?

Yes, it would.

I can't see the season starting on time, but just supposing we are able to start in late September or October, then we'd be able to play the 2020/21 season - probably with at least the League Cup missing, and we might need to tell EUFA to do one as far as one or two of the international breaks. What wouldn't make sense, if football can start again then, would be faffing around trying to 'finish' this already damaged season, thus wrecking the202/21 season too - senseless.

Once we get to the other end of this awful time (those of us that do) the whole world will be wanting to make a fresh start, not some inward looking, navel gazing tomfoolery to try and pretend nothing has happened, and that everything that was there before Covid-19 (including the money!) is still there just as before. It won't be ..........................

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thanks, an honest reply, getting to the heart of footballing issues as an Albion fan about our campaign and relegation prospects.

Not everyone comes clean in these ‘abandon the 2019/20 season’ threads, that they’re at all influenced by the Albion’s potential relegation.
I'm not 'coming clean' because I've got nothing to come clean about. 5th.or 15th, I'd have just the same stance on voiding this season. Yes, perhaps it will cost - but so will a lot of things, many of which will be paid for by people far less able to sustain them tan PL football clubs.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If the first matches of the 2020/21 are behind closed doors, does that render the entire 2020/21 season as having no integrity too?

Tend to agree with the others. Any season where a proportion is behind closed doors is worthless. The crowd play a massive part and, in more normal times, putting a game behind closed doors is a punishment for clubs with misbehaving fans.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Once we get to the other end of this awful time (those of us that do) the whole world will be wanting to make afresh start, not some inward looking, navel gazing tomfoolery to try and pretend nothing has happened, and that everything that was there before Covid-19 (including the money!) is still there just as before. It won't be ..........................

Problem is, we don't yet know how long the corona crisis will last. We may have several outbreaks and subsequent lockdowns. Known unknowns springs to mind.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Problem is, we don't yet know how long the corona crisis will last. We may have several outbreaks and subsequent lockdowns. Known unknowns springs to mind.

Of course we don't know. My first para. (the one you didn't include) I was specifically referring to a hypothetical situation IF football could return in September/October - which seems about as good a guess as any at the moment.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

In all fairness Weststander, that's not the case at all. I am worried about Albion relegation of course BUT (and please take note about this re: your comment), it's the principle of fairness. Simple as that. You cannot re-start a season with a level playing field.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Tend to agree with the others. Any season where a proportion is behind closed doors is worthless. The crowd play a massive part and, in more normal times, putting a game behind closed doors is a punishment for clubs with misbehaving fans.

My instinct, none of us here know more than anyone else, is that the next football may well be behind closed doors whatever season it is.

A 100x easier to get every player, staff member and cameraman clear, than for 31,000 punters including many thousands of pensioners, those with health conditions and non-attending family of those punters.

In addition, pandemics often come back with second or third waves. That could happens when we’re three games into the remaining 2019/20 fixtures or initial 2020/21 fixtures.

The neat start many seem to envisage of a packed Amex at the beginning of September, may be hard to achieve in reality.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My instinct, none of us here know more than anyone else, is that the next football may well be behind closed doors whatever season it is.

A 100x easier to get every player, staff member and cameraman clear, than for 31,000 punters including many thousands of pensioners, those with health conditions and non-attending family of those punters in addition, pandemics often come back with second or third waves. That could happens when we’re three games into the remaining 2019/20 fixtures or initial 2020/21 fixtures.

The neat start many seem to envisage of a packed Amex at the beginning of September, may be hard to achieve in reality.

Imagine Anfield though. On the brink of winning a title for the first time in 30 odd years. But behind closed doors, can you imagine the fans staying away? Not going to happen, coronavirus or no coronavirus. There would be a major break down of order. And at Leeds etc etc etc. I just don't think that this season will complete. I have thought that since the palace game. One of the reasons I was not terribly bothered about losing to that lot, I walked away from that game knowing what was coming.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

A 100x easier to get every player, staff member and cameraman clear, than for 31,000 punters including many thousands of pensioners, those with health conditions and non-attending family of those punters.

I'm not sure. What do you do if one player from one team is self isolating or a nutritionist or cameraman or commentator. One game gets called off, then another, then another and without home advantage it all becomes utterly worthless. I don't think we'll get going again for a very long time, but when we do we'll do it properly. Like during / post war football.

In addition, pandemics often come back with second or third waves. That could happens when we’re three games into the remaining 2019/20 fixtures or initial 2020/21 fixtures.

Indeed - which adds to the complications above.

My neat start envisages a packed Amex, cuddles, handshakes, songs and an enormous amount of beer - 12 to 16 months from now when it's safe.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not sure. What do you do if one player from one team is self isolating or a nutritionist or cameraman or commentator. One game gets called off, then another, then another and without home advantage it all becomes utterly worthless. I don't think we'll get going again for a very long time, but when we do we'll do it properly. Like during / post war football.

Indeed - which adds to the complications above.

My neat start envisages a packed Amex, cuddles, handshakes, songs and an enormous amount of beer - 12 to 16 months from now when it's safe.

I’ll drink to that.

We know football will start earlier than that, money talks. Not just here, UEFA seem hellbent on the same path.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In all fairness Weststander, that's not the case at all. I am worried about Albion relegation of course BUT (and please take note about this re: your comment), it's the principle of fairness. Simple as that. You cannot re-start a season with a level playing field.

Elegantly put.

This should be about the least-worst solution, though. Least worst to whom, though? Players, clubs, owners, fans? Deleting 2019-20 is clean and simple. I have a dodgy right knee, and a replacement would be clean and simple. However....:shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’ll drink to that.

We know football will start earlier than that, money talks. Not just here, UEFA seem hellbent on the same path.

No earlier than end of Jan 2021 though. If I were a betting man.....

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Imagine Anfield though. On the brink of winning a title for the first time in 30 odd years. But behind closed doors, can you imagine the fans staying away? Not going to happen, coronavirus or no coronavirus. There would be a major break down of order. And at Leeds etc etc etc. I just don't think that this season will complete. I have thought that since the palace game. One of the reasons I was not terribly bothered about losing to that lot, I walked away from that game knowing what was coming.

Not just those two clubs either. Fans from all clubs would congregate no matter what regulations are put in place. It's going to be a hard one to overcome

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Interesting. For consistency it should. Whether because it is at the start of the season (rather than the end) and possibly not for as many matches it could possibly be seen as more even handed. A real tension of speeding up the return of football for financial reasons and delaying until social gatherings are permitted. What's your view?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Elegantly put.

This should be about the least-worst solution, though. Least worst to whom, though? Players, clubs, owners, fans? Deleting 2019-20 is clean and simple. I have a dodgy right knee, and a replacement would be clean and simple. However....:shrug:

Harry, coming from the wordsmith that is you, I take that as a real compliment. Thanks. And point taken buddy.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

Notwithstanding personal view, I won't be surprised if your instinct is right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here