Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League / Football League attempts to finish the season

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Apologies if fixtures, but by law every Premier League fixture has to have a minimum of two ambulances present.

This virus is not going away for months so the NHS is going to be at capacity for a long time, morally is it right for the EPL to take two emergency vehicles away from NHS duties for each game they play in the event of the League restarting?

It could easily be argued to be “morally” right after an accurate calculation of the greater good.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
So if as some experts say COVID19 is here for another 12 to 18 months, when should the 2020/21 season start?

Should that be deleted completely at some stage?

Scrapping this season’s remaining matches ain’t the neat panacea, that tidy minds are demanding.

I think it would be better to cancel the 20/21 season if it comes to that. None of those completions have started so no one gets unfairly punished doing that. E.g. if it turned out football cannot re-start until later in the year, maybe just complete the 19/20 season, have a break, could then do the Euros in Spring, Olympics in the summer, and start the 21/22 season on time.

The next one after that is screwed by the WC in Nov/Dec.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
UEFA are driving this, they’ve made it very clear including today that national leagues must not null and void this unfinished season. Liverpool, Leeds (and WBA) are inconsequential in the big picture of European football.

Of course Spurs, Brighton and Norwich fans dream about this season to be voided, after a car crash of relentless bad results. Guaranteeing Spurs the rich rewards (up to £100m) of CL football for 2020/21 by the back door. UEFA are having none of that. National leagues breaking their ruling are being told that their clubs won’t feature in the 2020/21 CL and EL.
The UEFA stance is unsustainable and will flip by summer when the penny finally drops with them.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
So, money talks it seems. They are committed to completing season 19/20 to keep the t v cash.
If that is the case and we start, say September 2020 and play the 10 games to settle it, we comfortably do so by December.
Close season until February. Season 2021 runs say to November 2021. The same the following year finishing in time for World Cup 2022.
Then they figure out how to get it back to a season from May to August..... and don’t ask me about the Euros!
What a mess!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The UEFA stance is unsustainable and will flip by summer when the penny finally drops with them.

Agree with the sentiments. It might take them a bit longer to finally get it though - they're very stubborn when protecting their money, their tournaments and their power.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Liverpool and Leeds are just two votes in their respective leagues, they could be heavily outvoted at the drop of a hat.

The reality is that club owners and CEO’s are calmly not rushing into decisions that do not need to be made, including Bloom and Barber. They have the business nouse and measure to manage this unprecedented situation, huge revenues are involved, and no one is harmed by this. Some fans on some forums demanding competitions are declared null and void, is inconsequential. In the scheme of things in the world just now, why is declaring the PL, FL, CL and EL seasons null and void a priorty?

Given the timescales we are playing with giving up on this season is still the best option on the table

Every other option has a bigger knock on effect seasons after.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It could easily be argued to be “morally” right after an accurate calculation of the greater good.

The existing 2 ambulances rule, presumably is there to serve emergencies involving both the players on the field, and tens of thousands of spectators.

If games were behind closed doors, I can’t see that the same rule would apply? Maybe a single (private?) ambulance would suffice?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm genuinely bored of this now, even though our club's Premier League survival is at stake. I miss football. I want it back but only when the time is right. Debate about when that might be is nothing more than speculation at this point.

I'm applying the same rule as that I use for the transfer window: wake me up when it's over and let me know what happened.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t really understand how anyone can have an opinion on what to do until we know when football can start again.

Because some Albion fans are desperate to get out of relegation by hook or crook, but never admit that as a motivation.

Tangibly, there is little effect on fans of football whether the next football we see is tagged; season 2019/20, 2020/21 or 2021/22. People are dying daily, yet people get hot under the collar thar club owners for not null and voiding a sporting competition.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t really understand how anyone can have an opinion on what to do until we know when football can start again.

to be fair, its football and expressing opinions is half the enjoyment isnt it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Burnley today revealed that they’ll lose £45m in revenue if this season is never completed. The Albion’s figure would be very similar, so that would be another £45m for TB to find out of his personal pocket. It’s no wonder the owners are determined on this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here