Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What's your favourite eBay purchase and your best eBay bargain?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This might have been done to death, but I'm bored shitless, so here goes:-
My favourite is a full size Dalek, that moves and talks.
My best bargain is a poster advertising a circus in Shoreham. It depicts lions and tigers, has pre decimal prices on it and apparently you could watch a possession of baby elephants walk from Shoreham station to the recreation ground. It also features a 4 digit Shoreham telephone number on it, for ticket applications. It cost me about £30, but I had to pay £85 to have it framed.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
332AE93E-2564-491F-B028-5DD3E589BE1D.jpeg

This fragment of a weather screen from the West Pier. I had the base made after the purchase. 155 year old piece of Brighton history.

Attachments

• 4959DEA5-9FCC-4A68-8A03-71535FD4F658.jpeg
    4959DEA5-9FCC-4A68-8A03-71535FD4F658.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 114

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I bought a pair of ping eye 2 irons for about £160 about 20 years ago. I ended up losing the 9 and the 8 iron and still made a profit selling the clubs for £185.

My worst sale eclipses this. I sold a brand new Panasonic DVD player about 15 years ago for a friend of a friend. It was new, top of the range so started the bidding at 1p. It sold for 65p. I set the postage for £5 but the bidder was from nothern ireland. I ended up paying more than the combine cost of the postage and the DVD player to send it. Having already been out of pocket the woman then messaged me.... i only forget to post the remote so had to send this desperately for another few quid on top. The guy i was selling the dvd player for blatantly didn't believe the what had happened. I reckon he thought i just tea leafed it.

On another quick note. I was selling a bed for my mum with a buy it now of £50. No one bought it. I then just listed it the next week in an auction starting at 1p... only sold for £120. People must have just wanted to be involved in the rush of an auction.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Sold a three month old pair of spiked running shoes for 37p, another epic failure in sport by my youngest

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
This might have been done to death, but I'm bored shitless, so here goes:-
My favourite is a full size Dalek, that moves and talks.
My best bargain is a poster advertising a circus in Shoreham. It depicts lions and tigers, has pre decimal prices on it and apparently you could watch a possession of baby elephants walk from Shoreham station to the recreation ground. It also features a 4 digit Shoreham telephone number on it, for ticket applications. It cost me about £30, but I had to pay £85 to have it framed.

I was drunk and under pressure when I started the thread. (it was supper time). Obviously I was referring to a procession of baby elephants. I have to recommend extra sweet Waitrose port at £13.99 a bottle. Believe me, it's mega yummy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sold a quality Bosch fridge freezer for £150 ten years ago, only because a kitchen refit meant we needed an inbuilt f/f. The buyer then started a complaint with dramatic statements that we were, in effect, crooks, because she found a tiny spot of rust on a joint. I’d gladly have driven to Hampshire to collect it back. In the end she took a £50 part refund. This one of our very first eBay sales out of 100’s ... the lesson ...always describe every single imperfection and if possible include a photo of it in the ad.

Needless to say she gave us the lowest number of stars as a rating.

There’re also the dicks who win bids for a laugh, then disappear. Bringing them a perverse pleasure.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Had some very good sales and buys in the plant department over the years. A lot of which will make people glaze over with boredom, palm and banana related they be

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
There was an alto sax, cheap, copy model for sale. The ad said that it came with a brand new Neotech strap.
These straps are great and usually retail for around $60.
It was early doors and up for $1 with about 2 weeks time remaining.
I put in a bid of $35, mainly to get the strap and postage at that time was $10.
I then forgot about it, I later got an email to say that I had the winning bid.
I paid up and about a week later an almost brand new alto sax turned up in a new case with the new strap.
I took the strap out for use and closed the case. A while later I thought I would give the sax a go, mainly for poser value as it was red with gold keys.
It played flat and I couldn't adjust that out, then realising that this was why it was sold.
With nothing to lose and it being so cheap, I decided to shorten the neck that the mouth piece attaches to, to see if that would change the pitch, shortening the air passage etc.
I cut about 12mm off the end and made it smooth.
I popped a mouth peice on to see what effect it would have and what a difference, a slight mouthpeice adjustment and perfect pitch.
It is great to use for fun or as a standby.
Best $45 I have ever spent.

Last edited:

i got scammed by a buyer in China. Ordered a drone for £30 before they became popular over here. Knew it would take a month to arrive. When it did arrive it was just a wrapped cardboard box with a bottle of water inside presumably to give it some weight. However, it was tracked, i had signed for it and therefore when i raised a dispute they sent this "proof" of delivery and refused my refund request. So if you fancy ripping someone off just post them anything, get a tracking number and bobs your uncle you are unlikely to get a chargeback.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
i got scammed by a buyer in China. Ordered a drone for £30 before they became popular over here. Knew it would take a month to arrive. When it did arrive it was just a wrapped cardboard box with a bottle of water inside presumably to give it some weight. However, it was tracked, i had signed for it and therefore when i raised a dispute they sent this "proof" of delivery and refused my refund request. So if you fancy ripping someone off just post them anything, get a tracking number and bobs your uncle you are unlikely to get a chargeback.

I once bought a glass on eBay. It was posted to me in an ordinary A4 envelope, without any packaging. I've never seen a glass jigsaw puzzle before!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here