Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Bird Feeding,and we all like to watch it.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I have had a regular Sparrowhawk for the last 2-3 years (I assume the same one), but only see it every few weeks and have never actually seen it catch anything, or found any evidence in the garden. I occasionally look out and there are no birds around except for that sitting on top of one of the feeders. I believe they have very wide ranges, so only see it occasionally.

I have had a number of feeders on those feeding station poles around my garden for years. After the first few years of battling squirrels (supposed squirrel proof feeders, lids with wire, greased poles, kids with water pistols etc), I finally invested in proper squirrel baffles and, after moving the feeders away from all the trees, now watch the birds feeding in peace (still have to move the occasional feeder as trees grow). And, as the years go on, I seem to get more and more varieties of birds.

Particular favourites include large flocks of Goldfinches and Long tailed tits, and Woodpeckers hanging upside down on the feeders. I get through huge quantities of Sunflower hearts, Niger seed and Peanuts, but there's very little interest in my fat balls, apart from the long tailed tits. After a while, they start to get gungy and I have to move them to a feeder the Starlings and Jackdaws can get to (they seem to eat anything)..

Well I have seen it catch something now. I've just got back home to find this going on in my back garden.

hawk1.jpghawk2.jpg

These are stills from a video on my phone (Don't know how to upload a video). The greedy bugger is still in the bushes eating although I guess a dove is a rather large meal for a sparrowhawk

RIP Dove

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well I have seen it catch something now. I've just got back home to find this going on in my back garden.

View attachment 129323View attachment 129324

These are stills from a video on my phone (Don't know how to upload a video). The greedy bugger is still in the bushes eating although I guess a dove is a rather large meal for a sparrowhawk

RIP Dove

I think you have to upload via YouTube, then bring it over to here.

Oddly my phone did everything for me, which is how I was able to show footage of my pet Bee, Chris, to all the horticulturalists back in the halcyon days of Summer.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you have to upload via YouTube, then bring it over to here.

Oddly my phone did everything for me, which is how I was able to show footage of my pet Bee, Chris, to all the horticulturalists back in the halcyon days of Summer.

Isn't technology brilliant

And nature brutal ???

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Can't work out how to upload a photo, but counted 18 geese feeding in the field outside my window this morning.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
We have one of those Cup and Saucer things in the tree,fill it everyday,we like to watch a Robin spends more fighting off a rival than eating. As for the Cup and Saucer when breeding is over will fill it with maggots. Food on your doorstep.

Plenty of exciting bird action today. The robin took out a blue tit from one of our trees, 6ft down and had it pinned down on the grass for a few moments before it wriggled free. I know robins can be aggressive, but this was powerful stuff.:eek:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Just bloody pigeons and crows eating all our bird seed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here