Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Bird Feeding,and we all like to watch it.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
We get lots of goldfinches, sparrows, black birds, thrushes, couple of robins, sometimes a jay, magpies, lots of starlings, many types of tits (including our next-door neighbour), chaffinches etc. One of our neighbours had a loft extension done that enabled a pair of seagulls to nest and breed, the male then emptied our goldfish pond,taking his winnings and feeding to his partner sitting on the nest. A couple of neighbours have had solar panels installed on their roof, the pigeons have found that they can quite easily crawl underneath and safely nest on the fixing bars. They then swoop down and balance on our seed feeders, tipping seed all over the lawn and then proceed to rip all the grass out of the lawn. Highlight this week was taking in my exercise walk over the Ditching Road golf course, spotted a red kite above the football pitches at the back of Wild Park, magnificent sight.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funnily enough, I thought I saw red kite while I was driving up the A23 the other week, but couldn't really look clearly because it was above me and I was driving.

The number of Buzzards around Sussex has gone up incredibly in the last 10 years, but I'll keep my eyes open for Kites now :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Funnily enough, I thought I saw red kite while I was driving up the A23 the other week, but couldn't really look clearly because it was above me and I was driving.

The number of Buzzards around Sussex has gone up incredibly in the last 10 years, but I'll keep my eyes open for Kites now :thumbsup:

There are one or two starting to appear locally. I saw one up at Chanctonbury whilst running up there a few weeks ago, and another close to The Chattri Monument near Ditchling Beacon. There are dozens where my mum lives near Basingstoke though. Beautiful birds.......

Agree - really large numbers of Buzzards locally these days - had 5 circling above the house at one point recently. Quite rare not to see one when out and about now.

Re magpies, we get a lot around here. My neighbour catches them in his garden to order for gamekeepers.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Been doing general garden clearance the last couple of days. It always amazes me how quickly the local robins drop in to see what treats have been unearthed in the process. They make for great company. I spent a ten minute coffee break just sat watching one hop about my feet feeding. You can just feel any stresses ebbing away...

Often when weeding, a robin stays very close by, enjoying the unearthed treats. Nice to have some company!

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
Also get a lot of pleasure from watching the birds at the feeders. We have a reasonable variety - sparrows, both house and tree, dunnocks, blackbirds, goldfinches, blue tits, great tits and blackcaps. The squirrels are a big nuisance. Have also seen a few red kites around. I have a mate who lives in Thatcham, near Newbury, who tells me that there are more red kites than you can count and that the number of buzzards has drastically declined since the kites became so numerous.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
This....getting through kilos of seed and sunflower hearts in particular at the moment. Our back garden backs onto a nature reserve ( Bedelands for those that know it)......interesting to watch the birds almost queue up to take their turn on the feeders. Don’t get an enormous range but today alone I’ve seen :

Blue tits
Great tits
Coal tits
Long-tailed tits
Nuthatches
Wren
Robins
Blackbirds
Starlings
Woodpecker
Sparrows
Goldfinches

.......and anything dropped on the floor is mopped up by doves, collared doves and pigeons. The grass underneath the feeders is gone because of these greedy ****ers. I can watch them for ages, love it.

Mrs GNT is the Rishi Sunak of bird-seed spenders. She tells me that The Range has the cheapest (no pun intended) on offer.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Even cheaper than Wilko's? (which is way cheaper than the supermarkets).

Mrs GNT tells me that they are about the same in terms of price but that the birds seem to prefer the Range's range (as it were). I've never gone for choosy birds myself - and clearly they've never gone for me. So apologies: not the cheapest but not much in it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Mrs GNT is the Rishi Sunak of bird-seed spenders. She tells me that The Range has the cheapest (no pun intended) on offer.

They're pretty good.......but not that local for me. I do know that garden centres are often the worst in terms of value most of the time......I tend to order mostly online these days. Wilkinson's are cheep too :smile:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's a great source of pleasure during these times, the birds just carry on doing their thing.... Blessed to see the likes of woodpeckers, nuthatches on the feeders every day, partridges and pheasants underneath them. Being in rural Snowdonia, we also get to see Kites, Buzzards, Ravens, Herons most days. The occasional Merlin as well....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a great source of pleasure during these times, the birds just carry on doing their thing.... Blessed to see the likes of woodpeckers, nuthatches on the feeders every day, partridges and pheasants underneath them. Being in rural Snowdonia, we also get to see Kites, Buzzards, Ravens, Herons most days. The occasional Merlin as well....

Mk-V-pic01-1024x683.jpg

Must scare the shit out of the birds ???

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
View attachment 121568

Must scare the shit out of the birds ???

We actually do get these big birds over our garden, living less than 1/2 mile due east of Shoreham airport.

Asides the Sparra's blackbirds and robins we get great tits, and yesterday a smashing pair of blue tits,(it was cold) occaisional sightings are jays, sparrow hawk long tailed tits,wag tails, wrens and the snazziest, goldfinches.

The river is a good watch when out walking too. Little egrets Andy oyster catchers are relatively new, or recently returned

D

Deleted member 2719

Never got bird feeding, in fact it pisses me off when the neighbours put half a ton of seed on our fence, the birds eat the food, then sit on the fence with the arses hanging over dribbling lime all down our side of the fence.

The rats come in start eating all the overflow that hits the ground, then the fat rats feck off for a snooze in my man cave and scare the living daylights out of me when I go in there for a quick stroke of my thumping single-piston beast.

Birds, horrible little pecky things.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We have two sparrows nesting in a hole in the wall of the flat above us.
Yesterday one of them got it's foot wrapped in some thread of some sort and was hanging upside down by it.
I couldn't reach it even with my stepladder and thought the poor booger was doomed but it managed to free itself.

We don't feed the birds as we have 2 cats.

Whilst the coronavirus is ongoing,would you believe the FKNK Federazzjoni Kaccaturi Nassaba Konservazzjonisti (Maltese hunters federation)
are bothering the government to open the spring hunting season?

Every year we see multiple shootings of protected species and hear a constant cacophony of shotguns from 5am to midday!

Morons.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Never got bird feeding, in fact it pisses me off when the neighbours put half a ton of seed on our fence, the birds eat the food, then sit on the fence with the arses hanging over dribbling lime all down our side of the fence.

The rats come in start eating all the overflow that hits the ground, then the fat rats feck off for a snooze in my man cave and scare the living daylights out of me when I go in there for a quick stroke of my thumping single-piston beast.

Birds, horrible little pecky things.

Try one of these. air rifle.jpg

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Funnily enough, we get a lot of military stuff come through - There was an Osprey on Friday and then this this morning, apologies for crap quality but you need your volume up....
[video]https://photos.app.goo.gl/7qyPfS4oDRQDdEmVA[/video]

There was one spotted over the River Adur last year :wink:

osprey.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here