Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Bird Feeding,and we all like to watch it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cost me a fortune ...they eat to quickly and too much ...but love watching them through the kitchen window

This....getting through kilos of seed and sunflower hearts in particular at the moment. Our back garden backs onto a nature reserve ( Bedelands for those that know it)......interesting to watch the birds almost queue up to take their turn on the feeders. Don’t get an enormous range but today alone I’ve seen :

Blue tits
Great tits
Coal tits
Long-tailed tits
Nuthatches
Wren
Robins
Blackbirds
Starlings
Woodpecker
Sparrows
Goldfinches

.......and anything dropped on the floor is mopped up by doves, collared doves and pigeons. The grass underneath the feeders is gone because of these greedy ****ers. I can watch them for ages, love it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
We have one of those Cup and Saucer things in the tree,fill it everyday,we like to watch a Robin spends more fighting off a rival than eating. As for the Cup and Saucer when breeding is over will fill it with maggots. Food on your doorstep.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Cost me a fortune ...they eat to quickly and too much ...but love watching them through the kitchen window

I do most of that stuff, and I've got one of those stands you hang the different feeders from. It doesn't cost me much, because the footfall is very, very light - although the variety is good; you just have to be very, very patient. Partly this is because we have absolutely no sparrows or starlings (I have a friend you can put out two tubes of fatballs which are literally covered by sparrows and will be empty in less than 24 hours. I finish up throwing away fatballs because they're getting manky!)
Initially had trouble with squirrels - the squirrel baffle I bought they just treated as a launch platform! Had to grease the pole, which made hilarious viewing for a while; then I had to move the pole - squirrels can jump from a bush eight feet away - and they did! I've put one of those square suet block holders on the garden fence though, so the squirrels can still get something.
Lovely photography in that advert.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Had a fantastic feeder set up in full view of the cctv. Absolutely brilliant viewing....until I watched a rat climb up the brick work to get the feed! All sorted now. Mixed seed for the birds, peanut butter for the rodents. Very captivating if you catch my drift:whistle:

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Been doing general garden clearance the last couple of days. It always amazes me how quickly the local robins drop in to see what treats have been unearthed in the process. They make for great company. I spent a ten minute coffee break just sat watching one hop about my feet feeding. You can just feel any stresses ebbing away...

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Been feeding them all for about three years at this house, usual suspects including Siskins but unfortunately now have a Sparrowhawk just sitting on top of the food branch. Most other birds are somewhat sparse , he is now there most days.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Amazing the variety of birds down here in Sussex, when I lived in Urban Oop North we had sparrows, starlings, the occasional blackbird and blue tit.

Down here just in last week have had Blackcaps, Goldcrests and Warblers aside from the normal crew of tits, finches etc..

Have to say I wish the Gulls would **** off back over the Downs to where they belong...:angry:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Been feeding them all for about three years at this house, usual suspects including Siskins but unfortunately now have a Sparrowhawk just sitting on top of the food branch. Most other birds are somewhat sparse , he is now there most days.

I have had a regular Sparrowhawk for the last 2-3 years (I assume the same one), but only see it every few weeks and have never actually seen it catch anything, or found any evidence in the garden. I occasionally look out and there are no birds around except for that sitting on top of one of the feeders. I believe they have very wide ranges, so only see it occasionally.

I have had a number of feeders on those feeding station poles around my garden for years. After the first few years of battling squirrels (supposed squirrel proof feeders, lids with wire, greased poles, kids with water pistols etc), I finally invested in proper squirrel baffles and, after moving the feeders away from all the trees, now watch the birds feeding in peace (still have to move the occasional feeder as trees grow). And, as the years go on, I seem to get more and more varieties of birds.

Particular favourites include large flocks of Goldfinches and Long tailed tits, and Woodpeckers hanging upside down on the feeders. I get through huge quantities of Sunflower hearts, Niger seed and Peanuts, but there's very little interest in my fat balls, apart from the long tailed tits. After a while, they start to get gungy and I have to move them to a feeder the Starlings and Jackdaws can get to (they seem to eat anything)..

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here