Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Top rock star or International footballer?

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Which would you rather be?
Your favourite rocker in the gig that you can't get enough of on YouTube or your favourite footballer in the best game you can remember him playing?
I think I'd choose rock star. All the benefits of the footballer (and some) without all that fitness training.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Your favourite rocker in the gig that you can't get enough of on YouTube or your favourite footballer in the best game you can remember him playing?
I think I'd choose rock star. All the benefits of the footballer (and some) without all that fitness training.

Bass (I love playing bass) player for someone like The Charlatans or The Cure.

I don't think I need the fame but would certainly love the touring and creative lifestyle.

I wouldn't want to be in Coldplay but this is kind of the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4xxbx7ALSA&t=6s

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Top international footballer, retire at 34 and put on a bit of weight.

Then do shite punditry for several years until everyone realises I’m terrible and have no charisma because all I’ve done with my life was play football.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Then do shite punditry for several years until everyone realises I’m terrible and have no charisma because all I’ve done with my life was play football.
It's a tricky one. Being a lazy **** I kind of favour your choice.

But then the idea of being Mick Jagger (or similar) and still pulling a HUGE crowd of fans IN YOUR 70s, getting on stage and belting out a few tunes..... is pretty attractive.

Think I prefer artists to football players as well so on the balance of "not wanting to knock about with dīckheads" and longevity of having fun, I'd go down the rock star route.

If only it were an option. Happy enough being a "boring" accountant pisshead Brighton fan though.

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't just a cliche.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's a tricky one. Being a lazy **** I kind of favour your choice.

But then the idea of being Mick Jagger (or similar) and still pulling a HUGE crowd of fans IN YOUR 70s, getting on stage and belting out a few tunes..... is pretty attractive.

Think I prefer artists to football players as well so on the balance of "not wanting to knock about with dīckheads" and longevity of having fun, I'd go down the rock star route.

If only it were an option. Happy enough being a "boring" accountant pisshead Brighton fan though.

"Be careful what you wish for" isn't just a cliche.

I think Charlie may disagree

Bill German, who started the Beggars Banquet fanzine in 1978 when he was still at high school in Brooklyn, describes a meeting held in Amsterdam to discuss whether the Stones should break up or carry on. At one point, Jagger referred to Charlie Watts as "my drummer".

Writes German: "[Jagger said] something like: 'None of this should matter to you because you're only my drummer.'

"[Watts] kept it bottled inside until he got back to his hotel room. He then clicked off his TV, put on his shoes, walked down the hall and knocked on Mick's door. When the lead singer of the Rolling Stones opened it, his drummer clocked him on the jaw. Charlie then turned round and calmly walked away.

"Keith [Richards] saw Charlie in the hallway and asked him where he was coming from. The laconic Charlie answered: 'I've just punched Mick Jagger in the face' - and kept walking."

I'd want to be Charlie :wink:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I think Charlie may disagree

Bill German, who started the Beggars Banquet fanzine in 1978 when he was still at high school in Brooklyn, describes a meeting held in Amsterdam to discuss whether the Stones should break up or carry on. At one point, Jagger referred to Charlie Watts as "my drummer".

Writes German: "[Jagger said] something like: 'None of this should matter to you because you're only my drummer.'

"[Watts] kept it bottled inside until he got back to his hotel room. He then clicked off his TV, put on his shoes, walked down the hall and knocked on Mick's door. When the lead singer of the Rolling Stones opened it, his drummer clocked him on the jaw. Charlie then turned round and calmly walked away.

"Keith [Richards] saw Charlie in the hallway and asked him where he was coming from. The laconic Charlie answered: 'I've just punched Mick Jagger in the face' - and kept walking."

I'd want to be Charlie :wink:
Charlie is class. I agree.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Join the Albion players drinking club? All the benefits of a footballer with the party lifestyle of a rock star?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

This all day long! Lead guitarist in a rock band. As you say no fitness training and crucially your earning career can go way beyond your 30's.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wouldn't use the term 'rock star', but to be highly regarded in the musical arts world would be my ideal. Blaine Reininger, Peter Hammill, Siouxie, Ian Curtis....Unfortunately I don't have the temperament for it, craving stability, with a need to know where I'll be sleeping every night, where I'll be eating, and what's happening tomorrow. I also have zero tolerance for dick heads. And, obviously, I am deficient in the necessary talent, to the tune of one. :lolol:

Footballers (and much of the support) seemed to be dick heads when I was growing up, which is why my relationship with the Albion was rather 'at arms length' till I eventually though '**** it, I love this, and I'm going all in, balls deep' when I hit my 40s and knew how to handle myself a bit better in company, even to the point where I was prepared to drive several hundred miles to away games without knowing where I was going to park :eek:.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I wouldn't use the term 'rock star', but to be highly regarded in the musical arts world would be my ideal. Blaine Reininger, Peter Hammill, Siouxie, Ian Curtis....Unfortunately I don't have the temperament for it, craving stability, with a need to know where I'll be sleeping every night, where I'll be eating, and what's happening tomorrow. I also have zero tolerance for dick heads. And, obviously, I am deficient in the necessary talent, to the tune of one. :lolol:

Footballers (and much of the support) seemed to be dick heads when I was growing up, which is why my relationship with the Albion was rather 'at arms length' till I eventually though '**** it, I love this, and I'm going all in, balls deep' when I hit my 40s and knew how to handle myself a bit better in company, even to the point where I was prepared to drive several hundred miles to away games without knowing where I was going to park :eek:.

Morning Mr Spigot

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'd love to be a few more rungs up the musical ladder, ie earn a comfortable living from it as a career. came close once.

As much as I love football I'd only ever want to watch it and have a kick about, its a cultural vacuum generally, and not something I've ever aspired to want to do. TBH as attractive as earning loads of money may be, they earn way too much and rarely have the intelligence to do anything useful or sensible with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Morning Mr Spigot

:lolol: Brilliant. Well spotted. My little jokes of that nature are always intended only for the discerning few :wave:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Z

This but with a couple of amendments

Retired at 37 after finishing at the top level aged 35 then went back to his home town part time club and played for a further two seasons free of charge before gathering some fellow professionals to invest in the project to see just where this club could get to.

I would not go onto punditry instead use a good part of the millions made to invest in the area where I grew up invest in the young give them things to do to make good citizens for the future.

I would use my influance to encourage the other rich and famous to be more philanthropic on desert island disks I later say my proudest moment was when I persuaded Richard Branson into donating two of his three billions pound fortune into providing homes for the homeless.

Apart from that I totaly agree with your post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here