Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] EURO 96 on ITV Hub

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All 31 games being added, apparently.

Life doesn’t get much better than the day of England 4 - 1 Holland. I honestly think you could say that was one of the nation’s happiest days in decades.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Does Gazza continue his run without pausing and get his toe on it to send us into the final?

If not then I'm out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I will keep quiet; I won’t spoil the ending for you.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We had band rehearsals with an upcoming tour in 1996 and subsequently missed the Holland game, we did however record it, managed to get home to watch it post rehearsals without finding out the score . . . . three of us going mental at midnight while everyone else on the street was already pissed and asleep!

I seem to recall we also had a gig after the Germany game at the basement . . . . everyone,. including us, was leathered and depressed

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We just need BBC to do the same for Italia 90 now.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I had a summer when I watched every single (with a few exceptions of 0-0 games between boring teams) World/Euro cup game from 1986 onwards and I remember how remarkably boring and low quality the Euro 96 were in comparison to WC 98 and Euro 2000.

The group stage in 1996 was okay, but quarter finals onwards its probably the most boring tournament I've seen. England were great in the group stage, but then looked extremely nervous against Spain and Germany. The Czech team played like they do in every sport. France were still a work in progress, the Dutch looked bad throughout the tournament, and the German team didnt play the pacy, technical football today - they still had a squad with pathological winners and very little entertainment.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Shearer!

It's coming home

Jul 7, 2003
I was on my honeymoon so that was the first time I have seen the opening ceremony of the England v Switzerland.

Watching the game with my 19yo son. Had to laugh when Keegan was bemoaning the new substitute boards and asking why everything had to involve a computer now. His mind must be totally blown by VAR.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My final university exam the day before England v Switzerland. Results day England v Germany. What a great time in between. As Swansman says, some of the games were dull - but the game against Holland, and the second goal against the Scots were enough to make any tournament. And I watched every England game in a different pub/bar/location - which must be some sort of record? Spain was a dodgy game, but I saw it in a fantastic pub in Oxford - then demanded that Woolworths re-opened it's doors so I could buy the Football's Coming Home CD. Then back to where I was staying with a Spaniard, to play it loudly! Shearer's semi-final goal cost me four pints, as I was wending my way back from the Student Union bar with them, and they all got lost in the melee. Never forgiven him...

Jimmy Grimble

Such a shame we’ve not hosted a tournament since then.

I was wondering earlier if Euro 2021 may have to scrap its plans of being played across the whole continent and if it does, whether England could get the nod to host the whole thing instead.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was wondering earlier if Euro 2021 may have to scrap its plans of being played across the whole continent and if it does, whether England could get the nod to host the whole thing instead.

I imagine everyone would prefer a cleaner country. And if it does happen it will still be called Euro 2020. All the merch is printed.

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Such a shame we’ve not hosted a tournament since then.

While a lot could change I'm thinking 24 out of 24 countries, including England, currently would say "thanks but no thanks" to that at the moment.

Jimmy Grimble

I imagine everyone would prefer a cleaner country. And if it does happen it will still be called Euro 2020. All the merch is printed.

Good point.

While a lot could change I'm thinking 24 out of 24 countries, including England, currently would say "thanks but no thanks" to that at the moment.

Of course. If things have cleared up though, there may be a few countries more than ready to welcome the money that hosting brings.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I love the World Cup and the Euros but felt this one was a more forgettable tournament. It may have been because there was too much hype around us as a host nation.

I'd like to see some older Euros ran again, like Italy 1980 for example. Spain 82 would be good as well.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Good point.

Of course. If things have cleared up though, there may be a few countries more than ready to welcome the money that hosting brings.

There's about six I can think of that could host it fully at a years notice. Although if it came to one nation it would most likely be here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here