Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Man City's (failed) influencer campaign

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This isn't new news, but it was new to me today...

Seems Man City (or their now ex-media agency) wanted to recruit social media influencers to help promote the atmosphere at the Etihad...

The Premier League champions have run an ad on influencer marketing platform Tribe, asking for posts to "get across the great atmosphere of the Etihad".

The brief opens by admitting that Man City’s Champions League draw "has given us three relatively unknown teams" in Dynamo Zagreb, Shakhtar Donetsk and Atalanta, which means the club’s "core fans are less likely to attend".

The club would like to identify male students, young professionals and those new to Manchester (aged 18 to 55) to post content that can "tell an authentic and genuine story of what it’s like to be at a game".

To apply, influencers with at least 5,000 followers need to submit a shot that showcases "the electrifying atmosphere that only Champions League live football matches can deliver".

The content should be "fan-centric" and have "an element of FOMO". The club is asking influencers to set a fee for their work​

Quite embarrassing really.

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/new...ack-phd-following-influencer-ad-embarrassment

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Remember the backlash when it was first let slip.

To my mind this comes from the relative insecurity of the owners, which based on my working life, I can attest to being culturally embedded.

Really is quite pathetic tbh. Atmosphere is pretty crap everywhere these days - even those who self proclaim otherwise (you know who you are...) are kidding themselves.

I was watching some of the recent media output - top ten goals etc and can say with certainty even the goal celebration noise of a 22k Amex ten years ago in a relatively nothing game (no promotion/play off implications) were so much more vociferous.

One of my post Corona hopes are that things matter to people more and that in all walks of life we actually start to value things and give a shit and this might actually play out in sports arenas where we show support rather than moan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Remember the backlash when it was first let slip.

To my mind this comes from the relative insecurity of the owners, which based on my working life, I can attest to being culturally embedded.

Really is quite pathetic tbh. Atmosphere is pretty crap everywhere these days - even those who self proclaim otherwise (you know who you are...) are kidding themselves.

I was watching some of the recent media output - top ten goals etc and can say with certainty even the goal celebration noise of a 22k Amex ten years ago in a relatively nothing game (no promotion/play off implications) were so much more vociferous.

One of my post Corona hopes are that things matter to people more and that in all walks of life we actually start to value things and give a shit and this might actually play out in sports arenas where we show support rather than moan.

This.

We may have to die (inside) a little more to emerge fully reborn when we get our freedoms back, so we appreciate them for what they really are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This isn't new news, but it was new to me today...

Seems Man City (or their now ex-media agency) wanted to recruit social media influencers to help promote the atmosphere at the Etihad...

The Premier League champions have run an ad on influencer marketing platform Tribe, asking for posts to "get across the great atmosphere of the Etihad".

The brief opens by admitting that Man City’s Champions League draw "has given us three relatively unknown teams" in Dynamo Zagreb, Shakhtar Donetsk and Atalanta, which means the club’s "core fans are less likely to attend".

The club would like to identify male students, young professionals and those new to Manchester (aged 18 to 55) to post content that can "tell an authentic and genuine story of what it’s like to be at a game".

To apply, influencers with at least 5,000 followers need to submit a shot that showcases "the electrifying atmosphere that only Champions League live football matches can deliver".

The content should be "fan-centric" and have "an element of FOMO". The club is asking influencers to set a fee for their work​

Quite embarrassing really.

https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/new...ack-phd-following-influencer-ad-embarrassment

What’s FOMO?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ah, wife just told me it’s fear of missing out. It also helps if you type the right letters into Google.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here