Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loss of Smell & Taste

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
I have been self isolating since the 17th March.

All other symptoms have subsided, however I have had a complete loss of smell and taste for 7 days now.

Anyone else experienced this? and has it returned back to normal? Starting to get quite concerned...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

All other symptoms have subsided, however I have had a complete loss of smell and taste for 7 days now.

Anyone else experienced this? and has it returned back to normal? Starting to get quite concerned...

Mrs V's brother had a cough and loss of taste/smell too, he has been self isolating for the last 10 days or so. Not come back yet.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Couple of guys on the radio this morning saying the same,

I think this is one of the symptoms that is more extreme and doesn’t affect everyone who has had it

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
Interesting. Seems to be affecting younger men in different ways.....

Hope it returns soon for your Mrs's Bro!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Yep - lost my sense of smell and taste Thursday last week. Still not back.

We're self-isolating now until Monday week. My wife has just gone down with the cough and aches. Fingers crossed my 12 year old boy doesn't get it.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012

A friend of mine in London has said exactly the same. The worst of the symptoms passed after a couple of days but he has been left with a loss of taste and smell.

Jimmy Grimble

I’m in my twenties and had a few days of lost taste/sense of smell. I did not have any other symptoms though.

It’s all very strange.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I just asked for an update from my friend and he says his sense of taste has come back but not his sense of smell.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
My scientific qualification is an O-Level in Human Biology (Grade C), so class this as uniformed speculation, but maybe this new wave of very mild symptoms and a fortnight of no taste and smell is a new mutation of the virus.

Viruses of this kind do tend to become milder with mutation.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I came down with 'something' 17 days ago (10 March)- mostly feeling better (90%). Did not have a cough at any point but think I had a temperature. Sense of taste and smell has been gone for about a week and no sign of returning as yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I might have to buy myself a bottle of whisky and have a tot every day, I hate whisky, it tastes foul to me ( Yes even the pompous single Speyside malts ) and I find it utterly repellent, so, if suddenly it does not taste so bad, I'll know that I'm in trouble.

Zamo25

May 16, 2019
My taste and smell has returned about 75% over the weekend... some foods still taste very bland.

But glad it seems to be returning though - circa 11 days after first noticed it had gone!

Two other males in my office reported same symptoms, both under the ages of 35.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Anyone else got their sense of smell back? It’s 4 weeks since I got ill, and 2 weeks since I lost my sense of smell / taste- no sign of it returning.

Just looking for reassurance that it is going to return at some point!!

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Anyone else got their sense of smell back? It’s 4 weeks since I got ill, and 2 weeks since I lost my sense of smell / taste- no sign of it returning.

Just looking for reassurance that it is going to return at some point!!

Sadly I'm now on 21 days with no smell or taste. Apparently there's such a thing as smell training which involves 4 core essential oils (google it - lots on this). So I'm going to try it. Annoyingly the essential oils won't be here until 14th April so thats likely to be another week to add to the blandness of meals and drink - I don't think the self isolation would be so bad if I could bloody taste :(

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I might have to buy myself a bottle of whisky and have a tot every day, I hate whisky, it tastes foul to me ( Yes even the pompous single Speyside malts ) and I find it utterly repellent, so, if suddenly it does not taste so bad, I'll know that I'm in trouble.

or pissed :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here