Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Elderly parents, how are they coping?

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 22389

My mum is in here 80's and isn't adapting very well to the change at the moment. Her energy and well being is going down the pan at the moment. My brother of 39 still lives with her, suffers from anxiety caused by underlying health conditions and on top of that she's also missing her grand daughter and constantly worrying about us.

I'm trying my best to keep them supplied with food, telling them no too worry, just to stay in and keep safe. I'm trying to get her in to a pattern with regular phone calls with my daughter.

The reality is this could go on for another 12 - 16 weeks or even longer. It's a sad situation for all.

Once again my heart goes out to all these people who's parents are in Nursing homes, who are possibly having trouble getting any contact at all and those elderly parents who are living alone.

How is everyone else coping with their elderly parents?

Last edited by a moderator:

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
There's no way my elderly parents would stay indoors for 3 days, let alone 12+ weeks. They do their own supermarket food shopping still, as do loads of oldies where they live. The message on that is a bit mixed for some - stay indoors, but we'll set aside an hour in the morning for you at the supermarkets.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My wife's mother is 87 and she lives alone, her sister goes in regularly to see her, but she is a nurse and on the front line.
It would be terrible if she were to get infected from her.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My mum is in here 80's and isn't adapting very well to the change at the moment. Her energy and well being is going down the pan at the moment. My brother of 39 still lives with her, suffers from anxiety caused by underlying health conditions and on top of that she's also missing her grand daughter and constantly worrying about us.

I'm trying my best to keep them supplied with food, telling them no too worry, just to stay in and keep safe. I'm trying to get her in to a pattern with regular phone calls with my daughter.

The reality is this could go on for another 12 - 16 weeks or even longer. It's a sad situation for all.

Once again my heart goes out to all these people who's parents are in Nursing homes, who are possibly having trouble getting any contact at all and those elderly parents who are living alone.

How is everyone else coping with their elderly parents?

There’s a few answers, mine included, on this thread. It’s a worrying time for us all.

https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?379081-A-question-if-ones-parents-become-ill

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Got the old man using skype, its a bit of a lifesaver as he's starting to feel a bit isolated now

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
With both parents in their 90s this is a major concern.

I can't go and see them as they live in Worcestershire however keep regular contact and fortunately one of my sisters lives round the corner and can ensure their wellbeing is looked after.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My mum is in a dementia care home being looked after, whilst my dad is at home keeping well, not being able to see me mum.
It's a struggle for him, my sister amd moi.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm pretty sure my mum is 85 (I think I said 84 yesterday) and she's coping fine, with me delivering her shopping.

The timing is fairly crap though, as my dad died last June and had been ill for some time. She had been his main carer and just about housebound for the last 5 years, other than shopping and the occasional day with us. It has taken her a while to build up a social network again and she had just got to the point where she was going to regular exercise and various social groups during the week, and had booked holidays for March and April when this all kicked off.

Just hope that she is fine and, when this is over, she can pick up all her various activities and holidays, where she left off again.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
My dad died last June aged 102 and my mum died aged 96 with Alzheimer's at the end of 2015.
My dad really wanted to go after mum died, but soldiered on until the end, living on his own, until the almost inevitable infection took hold in hospital.
He was a retired GP and a stubborn old goat; trying to help him was sometimes like pushing water up hill. I am thankful he went when he did.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My mum is in a dementia care home being looked after, whilst my dad is at home keeping well, not being able to see me mum.
It's a struggle for him, my sister amd moi.

I forgot to mention my wifes parents.
Her father is on dialysis 3 times a week at Bexhill hospital, so being driven by patient transport which is down to 1 person per car.
The mother in law is great :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here