Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No Promotion or relegation below national league level just announced

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
It's an interesting precedent.

Yep. I think it's very unfair. I really can't see why they should be treated any differently. It's still players and fans that deserve to have their seasons finished.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not to mention the fact that clubs may go under.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yep. I think it's very unfair. I really can't see why they should be treated any differently. It's still players and fans that deserve to have their seasons finished.

I once tried to put you on ignore (but was prevented for obvious reasons) . . . .I can't recall why. You're going up in my estimation. For what it's worth (half an ounce of nothing at all). :cheers:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Not to mention the fact that clubs may go under.

They may, but I cannot see any other choice. If you have budgeted to be in the league you are in, then going into next season in the same league is the best of worse possible outcomes, because relegating anyone with the amount of games left would be even more catastrophic I feel.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Agreed, but as this approach is likely to spread up the leagues, it is an interesting precedent.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that this might well be the norm across football this season, tough on those who were looking good ( I am a Worthing supporter too ) and a bit generous to those stuck in the bottom 3 of various divisions. Going to be nigh on impossible to finish all fixtures safely.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Perhaps the prize money per place can still be awarded based on the league position when the season was suspended.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think the reality is it would cost the smaller clubs more to finish the season than those that enjoy big crowds and revenue. Couple of thoughts:
1. Many smaller clubs rarely have players on longer term contracts. Many go from year to year, and therefore many players will be out of contract come June. It is probably going to be extremely difficult for clubs to retain a squad into the summer to finish the season as players will be looking for new contracts for next season.

2. Most rely on small amounts from match day sponsors etc. which is unlikely to happen in the current climate in the summer. I don't see many local businesses having money to sponsor matches in the summer.

3. It will probably cost them a loss to stage these games, and actually be able to put them on.

Really difficult to take for fans and players I agree, can't see they have any choice though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No Promotion or relegation below national league level just announced.
Harsh on those due to be promoted like Worthing FC, currently 7 points clear at the top of the Isthmian Premier League.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52052351
Good to see the lower leagues showing common sense. Here's hoping their big brothers follow their good example.

Perhaps the prize money per place can still be awarded based on the league position when the season was suspended.
That would make common sense too. The fairest solution (in a situation where no solution is going to be entirely satisfactory).

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
East Grinstead staying up :clap::clap:

I saw them at Whitehawk not so long ago - they were truly shocking and it was only Whitehawk's ineptitude in front of goal that saved them from a massacre

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Cmon - let’s make it right up to the Premiership.

As well as the obvious benefit for us, it would be hysterical to see the faces of Liverpool and Leeds fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Legal challenges already threatened. Even at that level.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Cmon - let’s make it right up to the Premiership.

As well as the obvious benefit for us, it would be hysterical to see the faces of Liverpool and Leeds fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you say that if Albion were ten points clear at the top of Div 2 ?

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Jersey 27 out of 27 in Combined Counties,that is tough . On the other hand when at it will be void We'll stay in the conference again.

Shame, if they just put 2 or 3 teams in the Prem, you could have promotion in every league of the ladder without relegation, clubs who have done well get rewarded whereas those who have slipped up get a season to sort themselves out. No need for bitterness or lawsuits

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here