Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Working From Home: Soundtrack Planning

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Almost a week in now and I'm starting to settle into a music routine for this working during isolation business. It's fun being able to play the vinyl more, but pausing it for phone calls is a bit of a pain.

How are NSC's other sad musos getting through? Any tips from those who have been WFH for a while? I'm settling into:

8-10 - Non working family still in bed: Got to keep it quietish - Tried 6Music, earlier in the week, but turned it off when Lauren played Queen and Shaun Keaveney's show was advertised. Now settled on low-fi, classical or jazz - Sigur Ros this morning, a bit of Debussy / Erik Satie planned for tomorrow.
10-2 - Something a bit more lively now that everyone's up and I'm into the swing of work. Had De La Soul and Peter, Bjorn and John today.
2-4 - Something chilled again to allow concentration - Maybe some country. Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon at the moment.
4 Onwards - Pick up the tempo again - packing up soon - Only time I can work with punk or faster rock music on, but I'm planning a bit of Louis Prima today. I might try to find a banging reward song each day to celebrate finishing work. Today's choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrspovTn5kc

Jul 7, 2003
I've been listening to Cyber Rock Radio online. Really wide mix of music - for example, yesterday they played Rammstein followed by a Greek prog rock band from the late sixties which had Demis Roussos on lead vocals and also Vangelis in the band. I'm having to Shazam a few tracks every day I have never heard before. Also covers music from AC/DC to XTC so not just another classic rock station. Best thing though, no presenters, no news and minimal adverts - great for getting away from the troubles of the world for a while.

I tried normal radio but too much bad news and then spotify but Cyber Rock works great in the background for me.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I've been listening to Cyber Rock Radio online. Really wide mix of music - for example, yesterday they played Rammstein followed by a Greek prog rock band from the late sixties which had Demis Roussos on lead vocals and also Vangelis in the band. I'm having to Shazam a few tracks every day I have never heard before. Also covers music from AC/DC to XTC so not just another classic rock station. Best thing though, no presenters, no news and minimal adverts - great for getting away from the troubles of the world for a while.

I tried normal radio but too much bad news and then spotify but Cyber Rock works great in the background for me.

Aphrodite's Child?

Cyber Rock sounds interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Jul 7, 2003
Aphrodite's Child?

Cyber Rock sounds interesting. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

That's them. I was sure it was Demis Roussos singing so had to google them to find out more. They play some interesting tracks that were better known in Europe than the UK. Something earlier from a lady called Anouk who was well known in Europe and took the Dutch to their highest Eurovision placing for a long time a few years ago,

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That's me done. If anybody wants to post something loud and raucous to be played at full volume after we've all finished tomorrow, I'd be grateful. It took me until mid-morning to realise that it's Thursday. With tomorrow being Poets Day, we need a song to finish the day and sink a beer to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I work remotely all the time and get through lots of music a week, probably about 4 or 5 albums a day. It’s a mix of old and new and inspired by all sorts. That Top 40 Radiohead songs got me playing their back catalogue in order. An artist will release a new album which makes me listen to their back catalogue again. Sometimes it’s genre driven, I like a lot of contemporary psych. Today I was listening to Follakzoid and their motorik beats made me put Can on. I have also been playing the new Four Tet, Floating Points, Caribou and current Max Cooper albums recently. As people they’re all similar so one led to the other. Things on here inspire tomorrow’s selection. I also make notes in my phone so I don’t forget.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Although not working from home. I will always have music on in the background at work. Today included Wiseguys - The Antidote, The Colour and the Shape by the Foo Fighters and Dark Side of the moon.

Always have to listen to the full album as well, I just can't do chopping and changing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I've been playing my own pre-existing YouTube playlists (classical, 60's/70's, etc), adding more songs I adore, for example three beautiful Francoise Hardy songs this week.

I'm very used to working from home, whilst listening to music …. tranquility.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm not working from home as I cannot, I haven't got any work at the moment so I'm tidying the garden.
Had my headphones in and today listened to 5 albums fromThe Smiths, 3 from New Order and 1 by Paul Heaton ( Housemartins, Beautiful South and Paul Heaton/Jacqui Abbott songs )

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yeah Spotify is taking a proper hammering at the moment.

Had a bit of a nostalgia fest on Monday and listened to the first 2 Adam and the ants albums - Probably been 38 years since I last listened to those.
Was surprisingly enjoyable

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I work remotely all the time and get through lots of music a week, probably about 4 or 5 albums a day. It’s a mix of old and new and inspired by all sorts. That Top 40 Radiohead songs got me playing their back catalogue in order. An artist will release a new album which makes me listen to their back catalogue again. Sometimes it’s genre driven, I like a lot of contemporary psych. Today I was listening to Follakzoid and their motorik beats made me put Can on. I have also been playing the new Four Tet, Floating Points, Caribou and current Max Cooper albums recently. As people they’re all similar so one led to the other. Things on here inspire tomorrow’s selection. I also make notes in my phone so I don’t forget.

Oi! Listen to that playlist I sent you!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

How does the new Four Tet album compare to Caribou? The reviews have been good without being great.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
How does the new Four Tet album compare to Caribou? The reviews have been good without being great.

It's okay (for him). The Caribou album knocks it out the park, imo, an amazing piece of work. Looking forward to the rearranged gig that was supposed to take palce this coming Monday.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Caribou is winning at the moment. The Four Tet has some beautiful, typically Four Tet, moments on it, but at 16 tracks it’s a bit flabby and same-y. In truth it became a bit of an slog towards the end. A bit of variety would have helped. Good but not great is apt. Caribou on the other hand has that variety, and is shorter. I was a bit meh on first listen but it’s really grown on me.

As an aside Daniel Avery has today released an album with Alessandro Cortini....the latter I know nothing about. Very synths, droney, expansive and cinematic with no beats. It’s contemplative music....but very good imho.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I tried a bit of Donkey-Centre-Half's Cyber Rock Radio this morning and enjoyed some of it. Now back on the old vinyl:

R-1763023-1368652505-7055.jpeg.jpg

I don't think I appreciated quite how good they were when I was younger.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Caribou is winning at the moment. The Four Tet has some beautiful, typically Four Tet, moments on it, but at 16 tracks it’s a bit flabby and same-y. In truth it became a bit of an slog towards the end. A bit of variety would have helped. Good but not great is apt. Caribou on the other hand has that variety, and is shorter. I was a bit meh on first listen but it’s really grown on me.

As an aside Daniel Avery has today released an album with Alessandro Cortini....the latter I know nothing about. Very synths, droney, expansive and cinematic with no beats. It’s contemplative music....but very good imho.

Oooh sweet, that’s this afternoon sorted.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Almost a week in now and I'm starting to settle into a music routine for this working during isolation business. It's fun being able to play the vinyl more, but pausing it for phone calls is a bit of a pain.

How are NSC's other sad musos getting through? Any tips from those who have been WFH for a while? I'm settling into:

8-10 - Non working family still in bed: Got to keep it quietish - Tried 6Music, earlier in the week, but turned it off when Lauren played Queen and Shaun Keaveney's show was advertised. Now settled on low-fi, classical or jazz - Sigur Ros this morning, a bit of Debussy / Erik Satie planned for tomorrow.
10-2 - Something a bit more lively now that everyone's up and I'm into the swing of work. Had De La Soul and Peter, Bjorn and John today.
2-4 - Something chilled again to allow concentration - Maybe some country. Joni Mitchell's Ladies of the Canyon at the moment.
4 Onwards - Pick up the tempo again - packing up soon - Only time I can work with punk or faster rock music on, but I'm planning a bit of Louis Prima today. I might try to find a banging reward song each day to celebrate finishing work. Today's choice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrspovTn5kc

Suggested end of day song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP8aVdvuCaI

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here