Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 481
  1. #21
    Members
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,201


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I admire the sentiment of this. But it's not very British is it. As someone else said, we are a practical people nation, and doing their shopping or allowing them to shop at special times when the shelves are full is probably all they really need. Plus the Government supporting them by giving them everything they need to do their job will clearly help more.

    Over 500,000 volunteers also sends a great message and I am sure that will make a massive difference.
    I was thinking similar. We give more per person to charity than most other Western nations, some by far. Over 500,000 signing up for volunteering backs this up too. As you say, we're more of a practical nation.

    But it is a nice sentiment. Not sure how many will join in though, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere much other than on here?!

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #22
      Members dejavuatbtn's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2010
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      4,102


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by BN41Albion View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I was thinking similar. We give more per person to charity than most other Western nations, some by far. Over 500,000 signing up for volunteering backs this up too. As you say, we're more of a practical nation.

      But it is a nice sentiment. Not sure how many will join in though, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere much other than on here?!
      Pretty well covered by BBC news over the past 24 hours.
    • #23
      Members
      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      2,201


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dejavuatbtn View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Pretty well covered by BBC news over the past 24 hours.
      Oh, I must have missed that! Been watching the news often, too
    • #24

      0 Not allowed!
      This kind of thing takes the pressure of the government to actually support the poor sods they are throwing at the 'front line' in a meaningful way, if you ask me. Give them some proper PPE and organise food/care packages so they don't even have to go to the shops.

      How about we all send a tweet to the Health Secretary telling him to sort it out instead?
      NEW SCHTUMMCAST. MORE VIBES AVAILABLE HERE >>>>>> http://soundcloud.com/schtumm/schtum...0-neal-schtumm
    • #25
      Members
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Posts
      8,696


      4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dejavuatbtn View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Which completely misses the point (although I agree with the sentiment). The point Is that it’s a token of appreciation from us to those people we are dependent on. A morale boost? I don’t have a problem with it and will be out front clapping with most of my neighbours.
      Oh no, I will do it, it is a nice gesture. I just think if we are really serious about supporting them we will, well, support them by giving them a decent wage and the funding to do their jobs. But I suspect all this goodwill towards them will very quickly turn back into the "oh no don't raise my tax 0.5%" "we can not afford it" bullshit that has been around before.
    • #26
      Members el punal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!
      Posts
      8,047


      0 Not allowed!
      I shall be giving our two neighbours, Tracy and Helen - both nurses, a big dose of clap tonight. I hope they’ll enjoy and appreciate it. I will rise to the occasion accordingly.
      Just a hedgehog on the motorway of life.
    • #27

      7 Not allowed!
      Don't forget everybody at 8pm to film yourself applauding the NHS workers it's very important that you let everyone know that you cared, which your social media timeline will be full of...

      I maybe out of kilter but i think what they really want more than a round of applause is...

      A) Testing and more protective equipment.
      B) You to stay home
      C) Drug companies to stop this moment onwards to stop overcharging health services for any medicine so we have more resources to fight this.
      D) Governments around the world to invest in their own health services so they are prepared for these sort of eventualities.
      E) Pay rise so they can afford to live once this shit is over.
      F) Perhaps even donate to the numerous good causes helping them in their fight.

      I everyone around the world doing something to help their communities, I am striving to help where I can...
      IF you have anything to do with a local sports club PLEASE get involved with [URL="http://www.legacy300.com"/URL] UNIQUE opportunities to utilise GB Olympians to help fundraise:
      [
    • #28
      Numpty Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      50,443


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Norman Potting View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Quietely proud of oldest Potting daughter who works a few shifts a week at a local supermarket, she thinks I am on a wind up when I keep telling her she is a "key worker".
      An apology from Ms Patel would be a start.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members. Mahatma Gandhi
    • #29
      Members Lower West Stander's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2012
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      3,499


      3 Not allowed!
      What a miserable bunch of bloody sods there are on this thread.

      Nobody is disputing all the other efforts that are needed, but for heavens sake how hard is it to just take a minute of your time to put your hands together in a collective show of support? Everybody is trying to pull together here and griping about the reasons for doing it creates nothing but negativity in what is currently a very difficult world.

      My partner would appreciate it and she’s a nurse. So hang you heads in shame you bunch of miserable gits.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    • #30
      Sound of the Suburbs bn9 bha's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2013
      Location
      Newhaven SUSSEX BN9
      Posts
      14,192


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Billy in Bristol View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Don't forget everybody at 8pm to film yourself applauding the NHS workers it's very important that you let everyone know that you cared, which your social media timeline will be full of...

      I'm glad I'm not on Facebook

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •