Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clap for our Carers : Tonight 8pm

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was thinking similar. We give more per person to charity than most other Western nations, some by far. Over 500,000 signing up for volunteering backs this up too. As you say, we're more of a practical nation.

But it is a nice sentiment. Not sure how many will join in though, I've not seen it mentioned anywhere much other than on here?!

Pretty well covered by BBC news over the past 24 hours.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
This kind of thing takes the pressure of the government to actually support the poor sods they are throwing at the 'front line' in a meaningful way, if you ask me. Give them some proper PPE and organise food/care packages so they don't even have to go to the shops.

How about we all send a tweet to the Health Secretary telling him to sort it out instead?

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Don't forget everybody at 8pm to film yourself applauding the NHS workers it's very important that you let everyone know that you cared, which your social media timeline will be full of...

I maybe out of kilter but i think what they really want more than a round of applause is...

A) Testing and more protective equipment.
B) You to stay home
C) Drug companies to stop this moment onwards to stop overcharging health services for any medicine so we have more resources to fight this.
D) Governments around the world to invest in their own health services so they are prepared for these sort of eventualities.
E) Pay rise so they can afford to live once this shit is over.
F) Perhaps even donate to the numerous good causes helping them in their fight.

I :clap:everyone around the world doing something to help their communities, I am striving to help where I can...

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What a miserable bunch of bloody sods there are on this thread.

Nobody is disputing all the other efforts that are needed, but for heavens sake how hard is it to just take a minute of your time to put your hands together in a collective show of support? Everybody is trying to pull together here and griping about the reasons for doing it creates nothing but negativity in what is currently a very difficult world.

My partner would appreciate it and she’s a nurse. So hang you heads in shame you bunch of miserable gits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I admire the sentiment of this. But it's not very British is it. As someone else said, we are a practical people nation, and doing their shopping or allowing them to shop at special times when the shelves are full is probably all they really need. Plus the Government supporting them by giving them everything they need to do their job will clearly help more.

Over 500,000 volunteers also sends a great message and I am sure that will make a massive difference.

I agree with so much of that, but Mrs Wz has just put me straight. And she's right.

If I can't hear you from my garden then you're a seriously un-appreciative little shit. (I'll be very embarrassed, but clapping - I am English after all, unlike Mrs Wz who, being a jock, is never embarrassed)

Last edited:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I'll never vote Tory and urge everyone to commit to never voting Tory out of respect to the NHS and to protect our NHS.

Let's do something meaningful.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll never vote Tory and urge everyone to commit to never voting Tory out of respect to the NHS and to protect our NHS.

Let's do something meaningful.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

This has nothing to do with politics

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have made a point of telling the supermarket staff what an amazing job they are doing and that they are massively appreciated. Say thanks, be nice, be more nice than you usually would even if you are normally nice.

It does actually all make a difference. Woman on the checkout earlier nearly cried when I said that they are so important and that they're basically heroes like the NHS workers.

Without these people we'd be f****d.

Just like the lorry drivers, the people keeping the National Grid going, the internet etc etc etc.

All doing a fantastic job. I shall be applauding all of them.

This should be the thread closed, really. Anyone poo-pooing giving up ONE MINUTE of their time for a simple gesture really needs to take a bit of a look at themselves IMO. If you really feel it's that worthless, please keep your thoughts to yourself.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
There are several NHS, Shopworkers etc in our road. Will us standing outside clapping make any of their jobs easier- No, will the fact that the whole road is out saying, Thank you- we understand you are doing an amazing job, under extraordinary pressure and circumstances and we just want to say thank you possibly make them feel a little bit better, feel that we arent taking them for granted- possibly yes. How often have you said at some point- i woRk my bloody ass of for that firm, and do I get a word of thanks-No. How do you feel when someone just takes the time to say Thank You? So I will be out , clapping for the crew that took my brother in law to hospital today, for the Drs and Nurses who are looking after him tonight, for that poor cashier in Aldi last week who just sat and took the verbals the guy in front was giving because he wasn't allowed 6 loaves of bread. It wont do any harm, but it may just help some very stressed out, overworked people who will get us all through this shit storm

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Still working here 12 hrs a day generating tax and vat for the exchequer . Virtual signaling in the front garden , bollocks .

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think the woeful show of support and funding of the NHS over the last decade kind of is political. If the Tories has funded and supported them correctly instead of trying to score political points and make money then they would not be under nearly as much pressure now and lives would have been saved.

And you’re not trying to score political points at the moment?

Pathetic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think the woeful show of support and funding of the NHS over the last decade kind of is political. If the Tories has funded and supported them correctly instead of trying to score political points and make money then they would not be under nearly as much pressure now and lives would have been saved.

A public show of gratitude for NHS staff and other key workers isn't political.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

You are really trying very hard to be controversial at all times, not really needed at present in the current dire situation we are all in.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I have made a point of telling the supermarket staff what an amazing job they are doing and that they are massively appreciated. Say thanks, be nice, be more nice than you usually would even if you are normally nice.

It does actually all make a difference. Woman on the checkout earlier nearly cried when I said that they are so important and that they're basically heroes like the NHS workers.

Without these people we'd be f****d.

Just like the lorry drivers, the people keeping the National Grid going, the internet etc etc etc.

All doing a fantastic job. I shall be applauding all of them.

Absolutely - will be doing the same for their counterparts in the States. Also, doesn't it make you realize, in the grand scheme of things how completely superfluous most of our jobs really are. When it came to the crunch we needed these folk not a bunch of hedge fund traders on Wall Street

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here