Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clap for our Carers : Tonight 8pm

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Have to say I don't agree with a great deal of what you say on here but I'm fully with you on this. How many clappers making a racket about it on here were loudly booing junior doctors a couple of years ago. If I could be bothered I'd go back to those threads for a bit of naming and shaming. Embarrassing levels of hypocrisy at worst, petty fickle nonsense at best.

You may well have a valid point, and I may agree, but this thread is to thank all those (across various industries) who are risking their lives, so the rest of us don't have to.

So what should we do next Thursday? I have a couple of ideas that should confirm just how close [MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] lives :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You may well have a valid point, and I may agree, but this thread is to thank all those (across various industries) who are risking their lives, so the rest of us don't have to.

So what should we do next Thursday? I have a couple of ideas that should confirm just how close @<u><a href="https://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=21158" target="_blank">Weststander</a></u> lives :wink:

Yep, guilty, I was the look-at-me Withdean resident who for the second week running did this at 8:02:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
You just stick to patronising people hun.

While you carry on with your snarky, challenging responses. I made a valid comment that was not political, not confrontational, but did express despair at the hypocrisy in society that supports fickle attitudes and protects those that can change their mind on a whim so their insta story can gush compassion.

I supported the junior doctors through their stance against Jeremy Hunt and his attack on their working conditions. Many on here did to. Some had an opposing view which is fine, but many took their opposing view to extremes with flippant yet telling comments about not just doctors, but many other public workers. There was real venom and that's hard to forget.

I've been a nurse for 21 years, 17 of which were spent working in and managing intensive care units. The NHS has been a war zone for decades and I've been there to see a little bit of that. I admit I'm struggling to understand the clapping, and that's for me to figure out. I'm struggling to appreciate it because I feel that if it hasn't been happening for decades then it shouldn't be happening now. I don't begrudge the people that are doing it, and I love that it's for all of the other essential services staff currently going above & beyond out there.

But I remain convinced that this has less to do with appreciation for all of these essential workers, and more to do with a society that is largely locked away and forbidden from contributing to the national effort. It means more to those that are doing it than those that are on the receiving end of it. Communities are struggling to find ways to remain relevant, and to keep some collective hope. That is absolutely fine with me, and is a valid and wonderful reason for getting out and clapping, feeling like a community with a common goal and a common message. It's great for the wellbeing of folk that are isolating and for children that feel imprisoned. There are lots and lots of reasons it's good and I support all of them. It is not for me though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
All those tory voters clapping them just says: you are worth a clap in an emergency but not a pay rise.

So a great happening and gesture and you to bring politics into it. Really, give it a rest you tiresome, boring, repeating, idiotic, immature prick.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Mind specifying what he was banned for so others can avoid the same fate?

Not wanting to put words in Bozza's mouth. But I guess it might be because of constant nastiness and argumentative crap across LOTS of threads recently. Completely ignoring the #benice philosophy. Doing the opposite in fact.

I have some sympathy for the idea he was trying to get across on this thread (I ****ing hate what the Tories have done to the NHS). But no sympathy for the way he was doing it. Or any of the other unhelpful stuff.......

It's really not the time.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Back on topic. A great turnout again on our road last night. The timing was perfect as a friend of ours up the road who is a nurse (there are lots on our street) was just getting out of her car having finished a shift........

Whole street shouting, cheering and applauding her as she walked to her house.

Think there might have been something in my eye.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I put this on the main thread, but I'll put it on here too:

The applause at 8pm last night where I am was absolutely brilliant. Social distancing was observed by all, but loads of people on my road came out and I was stood in the middle of it as there's no traffic. A lot of clenched fists and 'see you next week' going on too. Young and old were doing it too, pots and pans were being banged - it was really so uplifting. The forecast looks good for next Thursday as it stands, so there'll be even more out next time as well.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And the Argus headline today reads:

2 hrs ago
Coronavirus: Hundreds 'Clap for carers' in Brighton and Hove

Hundreds. FFS

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Banned for expressing our political views? That's a slippery slope. If it is indeed because he's been argumentative on other threads then that's different.

Perhaps wrong time and place....this thread wasn’t supposed to be about snide comments or expressing political views (loads of others for that)....a lot about expressing our appreciation for those on the ‘frontline’...lets get back to that

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
While you carry on with your snarky, challenging responses. I made a valid comment that was not political, not confrontational, but did express despair at the hypocrisy in society that supports fickle attitudes and protects those that can change their mind on a whim so their insta story can gush compassion.

I supported the junior doctors through their stance against Jeremy Hunt and his attack on their working conditions. Many on here did to. Some had an opposing view which is fine, but many took their opposing view to extremes with flippant yet telling comments about not just doctors, but many other public workers. There was real venom and that's hard to forget.

I've been a nurse for 21 years, 17 of which were spent working in and managing intensive care units. The NHS has been a war zone for decades and I've been there to see a little bit of that. I admit I'm struggling to understand the clapping, and that's for me to figure out. I'm struggling to appreciate it because I feel that if it hasn't been happening for decades then it shouldn't be happening now. I don't begrudge the people that are doing it, and I love that it's for all of the other essential services staff currently going above & beyond out there.

But I remain convinced that this has less to do with appreciation for all of these essential workers, and more to do with a society that is largely locked away and forbidden from contributing to the national effort. It means more to those that are doing it than those that are on the receiving end of it. Communities are struggling to find ways to remain relevant, and to keep some collective hope. That is absolutely fine with me, and is a valid and wonderful reason for getting out and clapping, feeling like a community with a common goal and a common message. It's great for the wellbeing of folk that are isolating and for children that feel imprisoned. There are lots and lots of reasons it's good and I support all of them. It is not for me though.

If you'd said all of that in the first place then perhaps our discussion would have been rather different. Because it was not the intonation in your original comments.

As you say, just because you don't agree with it, it doesn't make it wrong. My partner is also a career nurse in an elderly ward in an NHS hospital who totally supports it. She can't stand Jeremy Hunt either but not very much appreciates the support and help, however, small or meaningless is provided my members of the general public. What has happened in the past can stay there for the moment so that we can deal with the here and now.

We are where we are. I see what my partner does every single day and she has more respect from me by the day. It just makes my job seem less and less relevant.

Just take step back and try and understand that we the public and simply trying to support in whatever way we can. I can understand why so many years in the NHS has made you cynical but it really isn't like that at the moment. Try and see the good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here