Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will this season be completed?

Will this season be completed

• Total voters

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With Fulham only six points off Leeds. Sorry, but that is absurd.

I’m sure Fulham multi millionaire owner will share the same view, I can’t see how any of this is going to work out, but ultimately a decision will be made, and will some will like it, and as the fans of Worthing FC found out yesterday, some won’t.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The more that happens the less likely I think this season will restart. People not necessarily football fans will start to voice concerns about footballs immoral lust for money over the lives lost to convid 19. Clubs will need to bite the bullet and like Barcelonas players reduce their wages

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The current situation or variations of it will continue until the vaccine for coronavirus has been developed, properly trialled and authorised for public use. This may take up top a year, or even longer, to happen. This season is finished.

Only took 25 posts until someone said something eminently sensible - ban him!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think the point being made by Bold Seagull, me and others is that ending (not voiding) the season now would allow the clubs that had at this point in time actually battled themselves into winning positions would be rewarded for their efforts. Yes, that would be unfair to chasing clubs that might have hoped (don't they all) to have overtaken them but surely that is better than being unfair to everyone? There are two reasons for me thinking that relegations shouldn't happen - one is unimportant (I'm an Albion supporter) and one is more valid - a club that had its finances decimated in this way would have a very fair chance of winning a reversal in court. It would go against natural justice.

The other point, and I'm not sure of my ground here, is that ending-early-rather-than-completely-voiding would reduce the size of any claims by the TV companies and others.

I have great respect for everyone who disagrees with me - there are no rights and wrongs and every solution has its merits.

Sorry, that is totally ridiculous, there are (were) still a lot of games to go and points to be played for. The only team that could have a legitimate gripe, considering the current world circumstances is Liverpool, being only a win away from the title. The rest was still up for grabs when suspended.

It's not going to finish, it's going to be null and void - end of!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I still don't see the argument for null and voiding it. What if we start the next season in August, them there's a second wave of outbreaks through the winter and we suspend the season for 3 months + ,care we then going to void next season too?? Surely we are better to get this season finished at whatever point we can legitimately start up again including fans in stadiums, I'd be ideally looking at restarting fully for August 21.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I still don't see the argument for null and voiding it. What if we start the next season in August, them there's a second wave of outbreaks through the winter and we suspend the season for 3 months + ,care we then going to void next season too?? Surely we are better to get this season finished at whatever point we can legitimately start up again including fans in stadiums, I'd be ideally looking at restarting fully for August 21.

If that's August 2021, that is sensible and realistic. If August 21st, unlikely!

A question. If you defer until 2021 do teams have to play with current squads as it would be grossly unfair for teams to be able to ramp up their teams for the last 10 games, would definitely unfairly favour the better off clubs...

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
I don’t understand why we have to make any decision now. Until we know football can sensibly resume, why all this conjecture? :shrug:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
If that's August 2021, that is sensible and realistic. If August 21st, unlikely!

A question. If you defer until 2021 do teams have to play with current squads as it would be grossly unfair for teams to be able to ramp up their teams for the last 10 games, would definitely unfairly favour the better off clubs...

Yes, the sensible option would be to roll contracts forward by 12 months for all players out of contract this summer.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I don’t understand why we have to make any decision now. Until we know football can sensibly resume, why all this conjecture? :shrug:

Phil, Phil, Phil,

Most of what's posted on this Board is sh*te. I include myself in that sort of activity. We live for it; we thrive on rubbish
and anyone who comes on here with a sensible opinion is certainly not welcome in my book.

So either shape up mate, or ship out :)

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
It’s almost as though people are desperate for Leeds to be in the PL because of their big club status. I wonder if we’d be hearing so much noise about awarding promotion based on current standings if that very catchable Championship second place position was currently held by Brentford or Millwall, and Leeds were in third place six points behind.

I intentionally didn't even think about the clubs involved when pushing the promotion-but-no-relegation solution. I've little love for Leeds (although they are a big club for sure) and even less for West Brom.Now Brentford... what a lovely set up that is.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

We won't be making any decisions, the football clubs, EPL, EFL, Eufa, Fifa etc will be doing that. They will be making contingency plans depending on when the leagues can start again. No point wasting this time by them not discussing it.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Can't see there being an option to complete the season, but think the fairest way round it would be to start next season with all teams in their current leagues, but to carry over their points and current goal difference to the new season so they start with the benefit (or not) of how they performed in the previous season. If any matches have not been played to date for whatever reason are played next season so that everyone is on a level playing field.

I think that's a very good idea - of course there is an element of unfairness, but it's more balanced with this proposal than others. You then don't have such a sensitive issue with 30/6 contracts ending. Roll forward points from 19/20 into 20/21 and play residual games from this season - ditch all the Cups for this & next seasons. Ok so shirt sponsorships that expire this year will be affected, but there isn't any aspect of our lives that isn't affected by Covid-19.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Can't see there being an option to complete the season, but think the fairest way round it would be to start next season with all teams in their current leagues, but to carry over their points and current goal difference to the new season so they start with the benefit (or not) of how they performed in the previous season. If any matches have not been played to date for whatever reason are played next season so that everyone is on a level playing field.

This would certainly work if we can only start next March!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
June 30th is the key date, when player contracts expire and the Bosman ruling prevents the contract being unilaterally extended if the player wants to leave. If players leave then the league integrity is gone.

So the decision needs to be made before then to ensure that if the season can't be completed by June 30th then it is written off.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
June 30th is the key date, when player contracts expire and the Bosman ruling prevents the contract being unilaterally extended if the player wants to leave. If players leave then the league integrity is gone.

So the decision needs to be made before then to ensure that if the season can't be completed by June 30th then it is written off.
Where are these players going to go to though? It's not as if they can play for anybody else. I'm sure those out of contract would prefer some extra cash for completing the 19/20 season whenever that happens.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Where are these players going to go to though? It's not as if they can play for anybody else. I'm sure those out of contract would prefer some extra cash for completing the 19/20 season whenever that happens.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Depends if they think short term or think of the juicy multi-year contract elsewhere.

Maybe a contract they have already pre-agreed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A blanket ban on transfers until the decision to finish the season or not is made?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here