Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

East Sussex family may have been infected with coronavirus as early as mid-January

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
A family from East Sussex may have been Britain’s first coronavirus victims, catching the virus in mid-January after visiting an Austrian ski resort which is now under investigation for allegedly covering up the early outbreak.

If confirmed with official tests, it would mean the outbreak in Britain started more than a month earlier than currently thought.

As things stand, the first recorded UK case was January 31 and the earliest documented incidence of transmission within the UK occurred on February 28.

IT consultant Daren Bland, 50, was skiing in Ischgl, Austria from January 15 to 19 with three friends, two from Denmark and one from Minnesota in America.

All three men fell ill on their return with classic coronavirus symptoms and Mr Bland passed on the infection to his wife and children in Maresfield, east Sussex.

A virus which caused a dry cough then spread rapidly through the locality in the weeks running up to the February half term, with many local children taking time off school with illness.

[SNIP]

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...-sussex-family-may-have-infected-coronavirus/

It's not confirmed that the virus above was Covid-19.

First official case of Covid-19 in East Sussex (unconnected) was March 13.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Interesting. I know of many people (online) who feel they may have had this virus in January, but obviously haven't been tested.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting. I know of many people (online) who feel they may have had this virus in January, but obviously haven't been tested.

This is where all the testing needs to look at after dealing with frontline workers. However the test is still being developed and as Professor Witty stated yesterday it has to be right and still being tested.

This connects to the theory many have had it already although, to me, does not necessary explain why vast differences in death rates

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I'm the same. Whatever I came down with the week after the Watford game had exactly the same symptoms as this. The last 2 weeks at work, so many people were going off to self isolate due to coming down with symptoms - I wasn't one of them and I was in very close contact with quite a few who did go off.

On the 10th of February in the 'Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Dicsussion Thread' I wrote:

I was in Brighton on Saturday afternoon before the Watford game. (Burger King, Churchill Square, North Laine Brew House, Great Eastern, Prince George, Nelson, Prince Albert, Train to Falmer) All the pubs were rammed, hot and stuffy and in the case of NLBH oppressively humid due to a Hen Party/disco going on. Overnight and into this morning I now have something that makes me feel the worst I've felt for a couple of years and whatever it is I've now got the symptoms are identical. Loads of other lurgy's are doing the rounds anyway, I haven't knowingly come into contact with anyone obviously, but I really don't feel well and I can't help but wonder what this actually is.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
As mentioned on the other thread, Maresfield is by the busy drive through McDonalds on the A22/A26 roundabout.

The perfect place for a young Maresfield-er to work.

In January, plenty of infected meals could have been passed into cars travelling north to the M25, west to Brighton and beyond, and east into Crowborough, Tunbridge Wells and Kent.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
"If confirmed with official tests, it would mean the outbreak in Britain started more than a month earlier than currently thought."

Thats a weird conclusion. Surely it would mean that there were cases in Britain earlier than thought but not necessarily an "outbreak"? Or maybe just my definition is flawed.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
"If confirmed with official tests, it would mean the outbreak in Britain started more than a month earlier than currently thought."

Thats a weird conclusion. Surely it would mean that there were cases in Britain earlier than thought but not necessarily an "outbreak"? Or maybe just my definition is flawed.

Possibly weird however I think this is leaning towards the "no-one knew what it was at the time" theory

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

The article states that lots of kids at the local school were off with similar symptoms after the family got whatever it was. That is an outbreak.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
As mentioned on the other thread, Maresfield is by the busy drive through McDonalds on the A22/A26 roundabout.

The perfect place for a young Maresfield-er to work.

In January, plenty of infected meals could have been passed into cars travelling north to the M25, west to Brighton and beyond, and east into Crowborough, Tunbridge Wells and Kent.

It's like you said on the other thread - this is potentially good news, as we may be a month ahead of things. We may not be however and it could still play out to be a disaster. After lock down and social distancing kicking in, it's a very big 7 days coming up.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's like you said on the other thread - this is potentially good news, as we may be a month ahead of things. We may not be however and it could still play out to be a disaster. After lock down and social distancing kicking in, it's a very big 7 days coming up.

Which could be why death rates dropped yesterday?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Which could be why death rates dropped yesterday?

Potentially. We've got the legacy of last weekend and the lack of social distancing then to contend with, so it's why I now think where we are in 7 days or so, in terms of death rates and new infections, is going to be crucial.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Potentially. We've got the legacy of last weekend and the lack of social distancing then to contend with, so it's why I now think where we are in 7 days or so, in terms of death rates and new infections, is going to be crucial.

That's the second time I've seen that mentioned on here. Yes a lot of people ignored the government's advice but a lot more took heed, I reckon. And a lot of the activity was outside which would've helped.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
That's the second time I've seen that mentioned on here. Yes a lot of people ignored the government's advice but a lot more took heed, I reckon. And a lot of the activity was outside which would've helped.

True. My shopping experience in Hastings town centre last Saturday afternoon makes me grimace though, because it would be happening across the country - having to go to several, busy shops to get what I needed and no social distancing taking place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a note of caution, I posted on the main cv19 thread that my daughter had something horrible. Temperature, tight chest, zero energy. Even as a fit, healthy, energetic 9 year old it took her the best part of a week to get over.

We eventually called 111 due to the temperature and were eventually advised it was highly likely she had flu. This, however, was in October.

It's not unreasonable to assume there is a flu doing the rounds with similar symptoms, which may be why so many of the supposedly targeted tests are negative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here