Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dyson Ventilator Contract...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Brexit related obvs. Unsurprisingly the op qualifying for **** status as per [MENTION=33924]Nixonator[/MENTION] 's excellent nomination/definition in the official coronavirus **** thread.

Just one reason why I have (until now) avoided NSC and most other social media as I knew the usual suspects wouldn't be able to help themselves. Utter ****s the lot of em.

I read a piece in the Guardian 3 days ago from a journo in Spain who was criticising the UK government and saying he feared for the UK more than Spain. At the moment, his article seems premature given the state Spain is currently in, but almost all the reader comments were related to Brexit and how bad a leader Boris is. It is incredible to me that some people just can't give it a rest. Frankly, as a leaver, if my vote could change and somehow we avoided this terrible situation, I would vote remain. Now is not the time for political point-scoring as [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] says, scrutiny of the governments decisions will come after the event. Some events go beyond politics, a war is one and this kind of threat is another, we are all vital to one-another, connected whether we like it or not and we should try to put our differences aside.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We have several leading UK companies in the sector making this kit. Bizarre decision, but nothing surprises me with this government...

Well, well, well, from the BBC :

"The UK currently has 8,000 ventilators available and has placed orders for another 8,000 from existing manufacturers"

Who would have thought it. So a big order for the companies you mention and a big order for Dyson. Appears the government are trying to cover all bases.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Dyson hasn't necessarily got the contract.

[tweet]1243141945926582273[/tweet]

"The UK currently has 8,000 ventilators available and has placed orders for another 8,000 from existing manufacturers"

Who would have thought it. So a big order for the companies you mention and a big order for Dyson. Appears the government are trying to cover all bases.

Dyson hasn't got a big order. He wants one but hasn't been approved yet. It seems he was trying to put pressure on the government to give him an order. See the quotes from Robert Peston on my post.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I have a DVD which starts off with a housewife with a faulty vacuum cleaner and so a man arrives to service it...

Does he sort out the appliance afterwards?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
resp.jpg
(respirator = ventilator)

You could be worse off...

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Dyson hasn't got a big order. He wants one but hasn't been approved yet. It seems he was trying to put pressure on the government to give him an order. See the quotes from Robert Peston on my post.

From what I heard recently we are trying to purchase many more than 16,000. I think the figure was 50,000 which would mean that Dyson and others would still be required to deliver if selected.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
From what I heard recently we are trying to purchase many more than 16,000. I think the figure was 50,000 which would mean that Dyson and others would still be required to deliver if selected.

If selected being the operative words.
This isn’t how it was being reported earlier today. It was even being touted that Dyson had designed his own machines.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Brexit related obvs. Unsurprisingly the op qualifying for **** status as per [MENTION=33924]Nixonator[/MENTION] 's excellent nomination/definition in the official coronavirus **** thread.

Just one reason why I have (until now) avoided NSC and most other social media as I knew the usual suspects wouldn't be able to help themselves. Utter ****s the lot of em.

It's you that can't help yourself on B****t.
I don't buy Dyson because I don't like their products, nothing to do with his views on the above. But if the can make respirators that work properly then that is obviously great no matter how many they can produce.
I also don't like Weatherspoons pubs, not because the boss is a total bell end and his views on Europe but because I don't like to go in them, my choice on both counts.
Maybe Nicko thought the same.
You haven't been missed, so toodle off again

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I read a piece in the Guardian 3 days ago from a journo in Spain who was criticising the UK government and saying he feared for the UK more than Spain. At the moment, his article seems premature given the state Spain is currently in, but almost all the reader comments were related to Brexit and how bad a leader Boris is. It is incredible to me that some people just can't give it a rest. Frankly, as a leaver, if my vote could change and somehow we avoided this terrible situation, I would vote remain. Now is not the time for political point-scoring as [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] says, scrutiny of the governments decisions will come after the event. Some events go beyond politics, a war is one and this kind of threat is another, we are all vital to one-another, connected whether we like it or not and we should try to put our differences aside.

Bitter losers don’t disappear because people are dying in a pandemic. If anything, it gives them more time to feel sore.

Spain .... is no model to follow, we can all see that.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Now I'm no expert, but maybe what we need is lots of what we already have and addressing those supply/production lines and maybe concentrating on ramping up the existing proven production lines. Maybe try to buy large quantities of what already exists as part of a major economic power?

As I said, I'm no expert and maybe now is the right time to invent completely new things completely independently of what everyone else is doing :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Now I'm no expert, but maybe what we need is lots of what we already have and addressing those supply/production lines and maybe concentrating on ramping up the existing proven production lines. Maybe try to buy large quantities of what already exists as part of a major economic power?

As I said, I'm no expert and maybe now is the right time to invent completely new things completely independently of what everyone else is doing :shrug:

There was a sobering article from someone who works for a UK company that manufactures medical equipment, he said if we build and sell 500 a year, we have had a good year. We are going to need more than that week at this rate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Government covering all the bases, are you serious?

This on the day that they claimed a communications mix-up meant it missed the deadline to join an EU procurement scheme to get extra ventilators for the coronavirus crisis. No 10 says officials did not get emails inviting the UK to join and it could join future schemes.

Or are they just lying and putting more mindless ideology over peoples lives, you tell me...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm a UK citizen (for now) I pay my taxes in the UK, I can use the NHS, I'll take whatever they can offer me

I'll try not to get sick

Ask if they have a German one first, they will work and won’t fall apart.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? [emoji38]ol:
:bigwave:

I thought I'd give you just one example of you being stalked by me (as you accused me of) seeing as you appear to have snivelled off sulking as usual instead of responding to my request for evidence of this, HOURS ago.

Chop chop.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Government covering all the bases, are you serious?

This on the day that they claimed a communications mix-up meant it missed the deadline to join an EU procurement scheme to get extra ventilators for the coronavirus crisis. No 10 says officials did not get emails inviting the UK to join and it could join future schemes.

Or are they just lying and putting more mindless ideology over peoples lives, you tell me...

Whatever France and Spain are doing so well in this crisis, seems too little too late. Let’s not perennially put continental neighbours on a pedestal, just because they’re not the UK. We are allowed to like our country.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Whatever France and Spain are doing so well in this crisis, seems too little too late. Let’s not perennially put continental neighbours on a pedestal, just because they’re not the UK. We are allowed to like our country.

I'm not putting them on a pedestal, but we had the opportunity to participate in mass procurement in a European scheme and we have not done it. Also the government should have supported existing ventilator manufacturers to upscale, they have not done it.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm not putting them on a pedestal, but we had the opportunity to participate in mass procurement in a European scheme and we have not done it. Also the government should have supported existing ventilator manufacturers to upscale, they have not done it.

But would that stop the evil James Dyson getting any business out of this?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
But would that stop the evil James Dyson getting any business out of this?

Not necessarily, he's got olenty of manufacturing expertise and resource but better used to help get other get approved products to market. Many subbies to UK manufacturers are chosing to close, take the bail out cash for employees instead of staying open.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here