Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Contactless Payment Limit Change

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Reliably advised contactless payment limit will change on 01st April from £30 to £45.

And before you ask this is not an April Fool.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Yep, definitely happening. Not all shops will automatically increase immediately though. Will help in removing need to pass and receive notes and coins.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
As will the cumulative contactless limit which is going back to it's pre September 2019 levels of £150.

This is the lesser known contactless limit which you will have hit but often not realised when a shop asks you to enter your pin even though the transaction your paying for is below the single payment contactless limit but as the cumulative total of your previous contactless transactions has gone about £150 you need a second form of verification to reset the limit.

I know few of us are out and about ATM but beware of pickpockets in these troubled times.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As will the cumulative contactless limit which is going back to it's pre September 2019 levels of £150.

This is the lesser known contactless limit which you will have hit but often not realised when a shop asks you to enter your pin even though the transaction your paying for is below the single payment contactless limit but as the cumulative total of your previous contactless transactions has gone about £150 you need a second form of verification to reset the limit.

I know few of us are out and about ATM but beware of pickpockets in these troubled times.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they will be social distancing

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I know few of us are out and about ATM but beware of pickpockets in these troubled times.

Is that £150 per day?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Is that £150 per day?

No it’s just a cumulative running total.

There are other ‘soft decline’ mechanisms coming in - forcing another form of strong customer authentication [think SMS codes/PIN verification] due to a myriad of reasons that FCA/EBA believe will drive down fraud. These are yet to be fully defined but ultimately will lead, IMO, to significant customer friction but as ever the regulator believe this is better than an increased risk of fraud - sledgehammer to crack a nut etc.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

I know few of us are out and about ATM but beware of pickpockets in these troubled times.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully they will be social distancing

Im thinking enterprising thieves will employ some kind of go go gadget arm that’s 2m long.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No it’s just a cumulative running total.

There are other ‘soft decline’ mechanisms coming in - forcing another form of strong customer authentication [think SMS codes/PIN verification] due to a myriad of reasons that FCA/EBA believe will drive down fraud. These are yet to be fully defined but ultimately will lead, IMO, to significant customer friction but as ever the regulator believe this is better than an increased risk of fraud - sledgehammer to crack a nut etc.

it's clearly not enforced uniformly then as I've definitely spent more than £150 cumulatively via contactless and not been requested for my pin.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
it's clearly not enforced uniformly then as I've definitely spent more than £150 cumulatively via contactless and not been requested for my pin.

That is probably as each chip per card is programmed uniquely by the acquirer in relation to what risk you are credit rating wise. In other words if you are older, regular income etc it may well be different to someone just starting their working life

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
That is probably as each chip per card is programmed uniquely by the acquirer in relation to what risk you are credit rating wise. In other words if you are older, regular income etc it may well be different to someone just starting their working life

It’s an anti fraud measure and nothing to do with credit worthiness.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I had problems with contactless in Sicily last year. Apparently over there, the contactless limit is set by individual merchants, so they decide if a payment can be made contactless or not. At least half a dozen times my card got declined when they tried to take payment for a meal, and I had to keep explaining to them that we have a limit in the UK so I had to enter my pin. Most of them seemed bemused at such a system.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I had problems with contactless in Sicily last year. Apparently over there, the contactless limit is set by individual merchants, so they decide if a payment can be made contactless or not. At least half a dozen times my card got declined when they tried to take payment for a meal, and I had to keep explaining to them that we have a limit in the UK so I had to enter my pin. Most of them seemed bemused at such a system.

I've never managed to use contactless while abroad - France, Cyprus, Netherlands or Canada - I was told that you could only use a UK card via contactless in the UK.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I've never managed to use contactless while abroad - France, Cyprus, Netherlands or Canada - I was told that you could only use a UK card via contactless in the UK.

Ah, maybe that was the reason then and nothing to do with the limit. I never actually tried to use contactless for anything that would have been within the UK limit.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

Not true. However, they are sh1t and work maybe 1 time in 10. The issue I suspect is the response time of messages validating the card increased somewhat as the message passed through many more systems and therefore it is constantly timing out unvalidated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here