Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Best video calling app

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What’s the best app for domestic video calling ..simplicity and data usage being important

I currently use messenger and WhatsApp ....but tend to do that when on WiFi...asking as i need to set something up for elderly father ..i did do some research for skype and it didn’t seem to bad ...bought a refurb iPhone 7plus and a have got one of the o2 big bundle sims that doesnt tie him into a contract (or me as i am paying for it all).

Thought this also might provide some sort of distraction....Pity BG isn’t around ..sigh

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My eldest son connected my old mum with something called 'Duo' today.
This apparently is so I can see her and she can see me when I phone her.
Cometh the appointed time this evening she couldn't swipe the bloody thing so I ended up just talking to her like I normally do :moo:

I told him it wouldn't work.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My eldest son connected my old mum with something called 'Duo' today.
This apparently is so I can see her and she can see me when I phone her.
Cometh the appointed time this evening she couldn't swipe the bloody thing so I ended up just talking to her like I normally do :moo:

I told him it wouldn't work.

:facepalm:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Zoom is excellent

This. We’re using it at work, but I’ve also signed up for a (free) personal account which allows unlimited 1:1 facetime and 40 mins per meeting for groups (although every time I’ve used it so far a message has popped up saying the 40 minute limit has been extended)

Don’t know what the quality would be like on 3/4G but I Zoom limits data flow to 1mb per minute.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was looking to sort something like this out for my dad so I could speak with him, and so he could speak with his sister and also his cousin in Australia. I've installed Google Hangouts on my Chromebook tonight, but haven't had a chance to try it out with anyone yet. My dad also has a Chromebook, so if I can talk him through it over the phone tomorrow to get it installed that might be the way forward, its supposedly pretty simple once its up and running.

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
What’s the best app for domestic video calling ..simplicity and data usage being important

I currently use messenger and WhatsApp ....but tend to do that when on WiFi...asking as i need to set something up for elderly father ..i did do some research for skype and it didn’t seem to bad ...bought a refurb iPhone 7plus and a have got one of the o2 big bundle sims that doesnt tie him into a contract (or me as i am paying for it all).

Thought this also might provide some sort of distraction....Pity BG isn’t around ..sigh

Tinder Livecall is great for one to ones and group calls. It’s also very easy to set up. It would mean your father having to sign up for Tinder.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I have used Zoom and Houseparty recently. With Zoom I had a problem with microphone even though it was enabled. Houseparty worked ok with 4 sessions connected.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Our nine year old is doing her school work in a virtual class room with 3 pals using Zoom.

Not now, obviously as it is gone midnight and only twaats like me are still up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our nine year old is doing her school work in a virtual class room with 3 pals using Zoom.

Not now, obviously as it is gone midnight and only twaats like me are still up.

I think this lockdown has led to millions of blokes, normally with a daily routine, tapping away on the internet until the early hours. Reverting to the night owl clock of their youth, before they had responsibilities.

The other day I made 3:30am, madness.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If you and your father both have iDevices, then FaceTime is probably the easiest to use, as it's built in so "just works".

If not, Google Duo apparently gives the best picture quality (and is available for iPhone, despite the name). Skype is easy to use, particularly with Windows devices, and Zoom seems fine but a bit fiddly in my experience so far.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This. We’re using it at work, but I’ve also signed up for a (free) personal account which allows unlimited 1:1 facetime and 40 mins per meeting for groups (although every time I’ve used it so far a message has popped up saying the 40 minute limit has been extended)

Don’t know what the quality would be like on 3/4G but I Zoom limits data flow to 1mb per minute.

Was part of a committee meeting two weeks ago with six or seven people which went on for two hours without a warning despite saying it could only be 40 mins when we downloaded it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
All the cool dudes are using - Zoom

Been using Zoom for about a year now at work, but we have, in the last 3 weeks, moved to Microsoft Teams. Both seem ok to me. Use Facetime at home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here