Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else stuck abroad?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Our flight home from Auckland-Singapore was cancelled today due to Singapore not allowing transit passengers. It still flew with only SIngapore residents, so was probably half empty. No warning from the airlines, even after asking us to do the online check-in on Monday.

We're currently stuck in an expensive hotel (room service only, a car park to walk in), with the short-notice lockdown starting in two hours. Oh, and the hotel has no spare rooms tomorrow, so we can't re-book.

Governments don't seem to be talking to each other about allowing transit passengers to pass through. Surely it can't be that difficulut to arrange?

Being homeless abroad ain't much fun.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
one wonders who is booking? it sounds like a right mess abroad, it seems so much time to put measures in place but governments keep changing rules. normally there would simply be a BA flight arranged and everyone brought back. hopefully that will come in soon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Our flight home from Auckland-Singapore was cancelled today due to Singapore not allowing transit passengers. It still flew with only SIngapore residents, so was probably half empty. No warning from the airlines, even after asking us to do the online check-in on Monday.

We're currently stuck in an expensive hotel (room service only, a car park to walk in), with the short-notice lockdown starting in two hours. Oh, and the hotel has no spare rooms tomorrow, so we can't re-book.

Governments don't seem to be talking to each other about allowing transit passengers to pass through. Surely it can't be that difficulut to arrange?

Terrible situation, hope you get some good news and flights very soon.

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough

My sister and brother-in-law are in a similar situation. They are stuck in Christchurch, were due to fly home with Singapore Airlines yesterday, and it was cancelled. There seems to be no other way of getting out. They are in a slightly better situation than you, as they are staying with my niece, although that is matter of opinion (dark humour there).

Sorry for your predicament.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately it really pays to have been proactive and try and sort this - rather than rely on already over stretched airlines.

As early as 15th March people were seeing issues from NZ / Oz with the various restrictions coming into play.

You can see a thread on this on FlyerTalk - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bri...alia-nz-what-options-etc-combined-thread.html

General feeling was either book whatever flights you can - but with Emirates shutting down tomorrow will cause big issues for Oz.

Good luck

Is this any help ? https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/1205...lights-a-lifeline-for-tourists-stranded-in-nz

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
My sister and brother-in-law are in a similar situation. They are stuck in Christchurch, were due to fly home with Singapore Airlines yesterday, and it was cancelled. There seems to be no other way of getting out. They are in a slightly better situation than you, as they are staying with my niece, although that is matter of opinion (dark humour there).

Sorry for your predicament.

Have they registered on www.gov.uk?

We received a reply this morning:
> Subject: COVID-19 UKinNZ: Message to British nationals

>
> We have received confirmation that Singapore Airlines will operate a one-off flight on their Auckland – Singapore – London route, most likely later this week. They will open this up to existing Singapore Airlines ticket holders first, so will no doubt be in touch with some of you overnight or tomorrow. If there is a possibility to open the flight to new passengers, we will be in touch with you again.
>
>
>
> Please note, travellers will need to remain on the aeroplane in Singapore – there is no option to disembark in Singapore. This includes no medical evacuation. Please give this careful consideration before deciding whether to travel.
>
>
>
> We have also confirmed with the New Zealand government that, even under Level 4 restrictions, travellers who hold tickets for onward international travel will be able to take domestic flights in order to connect to international departures.
>
>
>
> We are still working hard to open up other flight routes from both Auckland and Christchurch. Nothing is confirmed as yet, but we will let you know as soon as we have information to share.
>
>
>
> UKinNZ team

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sympathies, but why the bloody hell are you flying around the world on holidays during a global pandemic?

We weren't - it had barely started when we flew out in February. New Zealand had been very quiet, and we'd been told we were safer here. We were pretty much self-isolating in our motorhome. It's only the last couple of days that have gone mad. We decided to stick with the orginal flight plan, rather than join the chaos of people rebooking. Singapore Airlines gave us no indication that we wouldn't be allowed on the plane, until we took our bags to be checked in.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Daughter transited Honk Kong by the skin of her teeth..2 hours before 14 day isolation....only after she booked a flight via Singapore that went into isolation so lost that money.

She was backpacking and like others this thing simply wasn't an issue when she started out.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
AirB'n'B will be doing well out of this.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England

Thats awful . Good luck tomorrow

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

When did you fly out of the uk ??

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
When did you fly out of the uk ??

Sorry just read your other post.

I’m assuming you had a grip on how things were escalating? It was over a week ago most countries stopped entry. Why didn’t you look to come back then ?

On the plus side I think you are better off staying where you are for another month or so. You will only be swapping staying in doors where you are or your home in the uk ?

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sorry just read your other post.

I’m assuming you had a grip on how things were escalating? It was over a week ago most countries stopped entry. Why didn’t you look to come back then ?

On the plus side I think you are better off staying where you are for another month or so. You will only be swapping staying in doors where you are or your home in the uk ?

We flew out 25 Feb. We've had a rough grasp of the news, but so much of it was repetition and speculation. Not easy finding specific info when you're on the road with patchy internet connection, and airlines and airports can't be contacted by phone, and don't update their websites or reply to emails. Our most likely escape seemed the original flight. It was only Singapore closing transit that scuppered us, even though we could have sat on the plane for refuelling.

Current situation is that the four of us** have two hotel rooms for three nights in the centre of Auckland, with room service available, and great views! If we don't get away on a mercy flight, we have the option of a long-term rental at a nice AirB'n'B house nearby, but have to do cooking and shopping.

So, not the end of the world, but I'd rather be sitting it out at home.

Still trying to contact the airline to make sure we're on the flight.

** I didn't mention it before, but the saving grace is that a cousin and his wife were also booked on the same flight - by sheer chance! At least we've been able to support each other, which has made us feel less isolated.

Hope you're all doing fine at home.

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Good news! Our original Wednesday flight is going on Sunday afternoon.

We'll be sitting in the plane at Singapore for 2.5hours, but I don't think anyone would dare get off anyway! A plane full of relieved Brits.

:rave::rock:punk::ascarf::banana::O:cheery::whisky::whisky:

Dissappointed we won't get a Singapore Sling, though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Good news! Our original Wednesday flight is going on Sunday afternoon.

We'll be sitting in the plane at Singapore for 2.5hours, but I don't think anyone would dare get off anyway! A plane full of relieved Brits.

:rave::rock:punk::ascarf::banana::O:cheery::whisky::whisky:

Dissappointed we won't get a Singapore Sling, though.

Great news, fingers crossed nothing changes before Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Great news, fingers crossed nothing changes before Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha, they've just delayed the flight by an hour! But I think that's good news - we only sit on the tarmac for 1.5hours. Unless it's something to do with the clocks going backwards or forwards this weekend!

Just heard there are 5,000 Germans waiting to get home, but they are only flying in batches of 200 because of spacing regulations on the planes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here