Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ex-girlfriend of Brighton schoolgirls' killer to be charged

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Better late than never.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-52028349

A former girlfriend of schoolgirls' killer Russell Bishop is to be charged with perverting the course of justice.
Jennifer Johnson, 54, of Brighton, has been summonsed over the failed 1987 prosecution of Bishop who was cleared of killing Karen Hadaway and Nicola Fellows.
The two nine-year-olds were found sexually assaulted and strangled in woodland in Brighton in October 1986.
Ms Johnson faces charges over her police statements and court evidence.
Bishop, who attacked another child in 1990, was found guilty in December 2018 of Karen and Nicola's murders.
The bodies of the girls were found in a dense wooded area of Wild Park, on the edge of Brighton, half a mile from their homes.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: "We have ensured that the families of Karen and Nicola, and the victim of Russell Bishop in 1990, are fully aware of this significant development in the case and we will continue to keep them informed."

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Better late than never.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-52028349

A former girlfriend of schoolgirls' killer Russell Bishop is to be charged with perverting the course of justice.
Jennifer Johnson, 54, of Brighton, has been summonsed over the failed 1987 prosecution of Bishop who was cleared of killing Karen Hadaway and Nicola Fellows.
The two nine-year-olds were found sexually assaulted and strangled in woodland in Brighton in October 1986.
Ms Johnson faces charges over her police statements and court evidence.
Bishop, who attacked another child in 1990, was found guilty in December 2018 of Karen and Nicola's murders.
The bodies of the girls were found in a dense wooded area of Wild Park, on the edge of Brighton, half a mile from their homes.
A Sussex Police spokesman said: "We have ensured that the families of Karen and Nicola, and the victim of Russell Bishop in 1990, are fully aware of this significant development in the case and we will continue to keep them informed."

And it gives me shudders to think I had that monster in my car after he had been released on bail. Mum was a good friend of Silvia Bishop (his mum) and they got me to drive him to a friends place in birmingham to get him away from the media. We all believed his story. After the committal hearing we were even more confident that he would be found not guilty. The prosecution just couldn't get there facts straight and were even worse at the trial. I didn't really know him I just did mum and Silvia a favour.YUCK

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The Babes in the Woods Murders doco was aired over here last night.
I used to live close to the Wild Park and we used to go there a lot when growing up.
The 'den' they were found in wasn't that hard to find and loads of us used to use it when exploring.
I don't know how you could have been fooled by Bishop, he couldn't have made his guilt more obvious.
I am really surprised that an East Mousecoombe mob hadn't exacted a sentence on him themselves to be honest.
There were plenty of them there that would for much lesser a crime than this.
His ex should get the same sentencing as an accomplice, glad that change in her statement has come back to bite her.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
We in Brighton have to be extra cautious about what we say as there will of course be many who knew or know her or knows someone who knows her and might be tempted to repeat an anecdote about her...
2020-03-25 05.09.19.png

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I don't know how you could have been fooled by Bishop, he couldn't have made his guilt more obvious.
It wasn't just the family and friends, don't forget he was acquitted by a jury, and from memory they didn't need too long to come to their findings. From what I remember of him and what mum said about him at the time he was always big noting himself which is why he took Silvia's dogs out to search for the girls so that didn't raise any suspicion. I suppose no one wants to believe that someone they know, is capable of such an act, not forgetting that the prosecution were so incompetent, it just looked like they were doing a really bad stitch up job. There was also the suspicion of child sexual abuse muddying the waters.
May he rot in gaol.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It wasn't just the family and friends, don't forget he was acquitted by a jury, and from memory they didn't need too long to come to their findings. From what I remember of him and what mum said about him at the time he was always big noting himself which is why he took Silvia's dogs out to search for the girls so that didn't raise any suspicion. I suppose no one wants to believe that someone they know, is capable of such an act, not forgetting that the prosecution were so incompetent, it just looked like they were doing a really bad stitch up job. There was also the suspicion of child sexual abuse muddying the waters.
May he rot in gaol.

I remember the senior Copper standing on the Court steps after Bishops acquittal saying they were not looking for anyone else.
That spoke volumes.

Harmyar

Mar 24, 2021
And it gives me shudders to think I had that monster in my car after he had been released on bail. Mum was a good friend of Silvia Bishop (his mum) and they got me to drive him to a friends place in birmingham to get him away from the media. We all believed his story. After the committal hearing we were even more confident that he would be found not guilty. The prosecution just couldn't get there facts straight and were even worse at the trial. I didn't really know him I just did mum and Silvia a favour.YUCK
I know his brother, he's a top bloke.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The jury were lied to with the compelling alibi.

The criminal offence of perjury is vital for any justice system to work.

She deserves the prison sentence coming her way.

Thank God the later 7 year old victim lived, I hope she wasn’t affected for life by this disgusting monster.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Harsh on the family to forever be tainted and mentioned by another humans actions. Always feel for the family even if the most disgusting criminals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here