Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who has got an unusual HOBBY?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Only started this winter because we've got our first dog, I've started collecting driftwood off the beach. Got one lovely bit that's a tree root and trunk from a small tree that I've turned into a full room height lamp.

The others I'm collecting and will turn them into lamps and other things for decoration.

Got to be a bit of a nerd, the way the sea has worn down certain parts and not others. Very 'organic' as my 'arty' Mrs B says.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I love Brutalist and Modernist architecture, and taking pictures of it wherever I find it - no camera, just my phone. An awful lot of people hate it, but I'm vaguely obsessed with it, and there are some decent examples in Brighton.

I've had pictures used in The Guardian, the BBC and various other places, a feature on an architecture website, and help run a Facebook group with 85,000 members. I've also got an Instagram account where I post my snaps: https://www.instagram.com/murray_tiptop/?hl=en

Let me know if you've got any goodies in your area - always on the lookout for more.

I enjoy looking at the photos on the BrutalHouse Twitter account, i did see some pictures taken in Edward a Street Brighton on there.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I think in todays climate turning anything into a knife is irresponsible and should be banned. We should be reducing the numbers of knives in this world, not increasing them.

No, we should be reducing the number of people who carry knives as a weapon. A knife is a tool (one of the oldest tools known to man) with literally dozens of uses.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Is that so? I’ve got an N64 CIB, 4 controllers, rumble packs, and about a dozen games.

I'm trying to concentrate on work and here you are, seducing me with your words.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Oooh! I've done a few boxing day enduro's. Bit like lawn mower racing though, at 61 I'm really just making up the numbers.Still love it though.

I do track days with my dad, he’ll be 68 in May :eek: he does about 5-6 European events per season, he’s not the quickest but his enthusiasm is unquestionable.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
I do track days with my dad, he’ll be 68 in May :eek: he does about 5-6 European events per season, he’s not the quickest but his enthusiasm is unquestionable.

Last one of those I did was at Snetterton,scared the life out of me. I consider myself a fast road rider,did 4 years dispatch riding in the early 80's, but track days,not for me. Just when you think you've got the hang of it and think you're up to speed some "hero" comes past and nearly takes you out.
My idea of getting a move on nowadays is the lively 'bike ride from my place to the Amex in the better weather Got it down to 1 hour, doesn't matter which route I take and whether I ride like a knob or a novice. Wierd innit?

Jul 7, 2003
I use a combination of After Effects and Photoshop. It's pretty hard work but I really enjoy getting the results right.

I worked with a team of people to colourise a black and white episode of Doctor Who from the 1960's.

It took six years but it was a big success. It ended up going to LA for a world premiere and all sorts. It was an amazing experience. The technology has improved so much that I could probably do the same thing in twelve months now. A few stills below.

View attachment 121439

I guess you have been working with our friendly local radio travel reporter / QVC presenter then?

Jul 7, 2003
I have lots of interests but no hobbies as such. The last couple of weeks has made me think about this and I found myself looking up the cost of model railway stuff the other day. That is not a cheap hobby!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love Brutalist and Modernist architecture, and taking pictures of it wherever I find it - no camera, just my phone. An awful lot of people hate it, but I'm vaguely obsessed with it, and there are some decent examples in Brighton.

I've had pictures used in The Guardian, the BBC and various other places, a feature on an architecture website, and help run a Facebook group with 85,000 members. I've also got an Instagram account where I post my snaps: https://www.instagram.com/murray_tiptop/?hl=en

Let me know if you've got any goodies in your area - always on the lookout for more.

Brilliant. I only got a small way through your photos until Insta asked me to sign up. I’ll do this shortly, but in the meantime you asked for goodies....I used to work in Harlow and the train station and the town centre are quite brutal. As is my old lecture theatre at Brunel Uni. You may already have these.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I use a combination of After Effects and Photoshop. It's pretty hard work but I really enjoy getting the results right.

I worked with a team of people to colourise a black and white episode of Doctor Who from the 1960's.

It took six years but it was a big success. It ended up going to LA for a world premiere and all sorts. It was an amazing experience. The technology has improved so much that I could probably do the same thing in twelve months now. A few stills below.

View attachment 121439

Wow. A question, how do you decide on some of the colours. For example the balls on the end of the levers and the sash in your attachment?

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
What Lambretta do you have?

Currently 66 Lambretta li150 but an Eibar (Spanish model), pre Jet branding, like a standard li but has the 50p piece headset from the li special. They were a bit better made as well. It’s got an electronic ignition upgrade as well so it’s a daily runner.

No mod action, nice and original.

Got done on a paint job though...it’s 3 tone when it’s supposed to be 2 tone!!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I have a Li150 Golden special (pacemaker) with a 185 Imola fitted. I was thinking of getting the kit taken off and a respray as the paint works a bit tatty now, but will have to put that on hold.

3CFCF98D-D8F3-4929-B689-D740BCF90ED6.jpeg

scoobiewhite

Jan 29, 2012
Albourne / Brighton
I have a Li150 Golden special (pacemaker) with a 185 Imola fitted. I was thinking of getting the kit taken off and a respray as the paint works a bit tatty now, but will have to put that on hold.

View attachment 121502

Very nice indeed, mine, complete with 2 shades of white! Old English on the leg guard plus something completely different everywhere else!

5fcb363b4270bf0825139d0ebf0f31b4.jpg

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Very nice indeed, mine, complete with 2 shades of white! Old English on the leg guard plus something completely different everywhere else!

5fcb363b4270bf0825139d0ebf0f31b4.jpg

Looks good! who did the paintwork then?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wow. A question, how do you decide on some of the colours. For example the balls on the end of the levers and the sash in your attachment?

So sometime's we have colour, behind the scenes photos and we use them. Othertimes the props were reused in the Pertwee/Baker eras so we know exactly what they looked like in colour. In instances where we don't know, we make informed guesses.

For example, we had to pick the sash colour, and we even decided to make the clips brass rather than silver at it complimented the look of the sash. The levels we found some similar ones from a Pertwee story and copied them.

It's quite fun but does present a lot of questions!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not sure my hobbies are unusual, although they have been and some still are unfashionable.

Scootering in the 80's for example, as above, have Lambrettas. A few, a few old cars, a few old bass guitars, loads of old records . . . . .and somewhere, if I can find it, a banana sticker collection.

I did once have a collection of tape middles. Sadly long gone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So sometime's we have colour, behind the scenes photos and we use them. Othertimes the props were reused in the Pertwee/Baker eras so we know exactly what they looked like in colour. In instances where we don't know, we make informed guesses.

For example, we had to pick the sash colour, and we even decided to make the clips brass rather than silver at it complimented the look of the sash. The levels we found some similar ones from a Pertwee story and copied them.

It's quite fun but does present a lot of questions!

Thank you. This sounds like excellent fun. I’m not sure I have the patience for a 6 year project but yours was rewarded with an LA premier. What a great story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here