Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who has got an unusual HOBBY?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Historic narrowboats. Have owned two, but am presently between boats.

Careful now.

mK0ic4ms00CroNKEp1l55wahqDs7GX-tUsJru2tW3ALPkC5oYMHpTJaCs3f9kClWLq4RmuETjmv3MMg5CbS9mmn-1Un4Hyazp0OYwZglWKlOJIK7hlnrUO0uw5k

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I collect knives. Mostly slipjoint penknives that are legal carry in the UK but I have a number of lockers and fixed blades. I also customise knives, mainly changing the scales (the wood/plastic bits on the handle).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hotel where my daughter works gets regular bookings from a society of sucrologists. They collect small packets of sugar. No, seriously, they do

I think that's quite sweet...

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I collect Nintendo 64 games and accessories. It's interesting trying to find ones in decent condition that are CIB (Complete In Box) and the prices of some of the rarer games and accessories is mind-boggling.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I collect Nintendo 64 games and accessories. It's interesting trying to find ones in decent condition that are CIB (Complete In Box) and the prices of some of the rarer games and accessories is mind-boggling.

I remember selling a CIB copy of Banjo-Tooie a few years ago on eBay and was staggered at the price it reached.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
I've always been into ancient history (studied it at Uni). I got into Roman reinactment and a few years back got some Roman armour. I have visited a school in Brighton for a few years in kit for the Year 3 Roman week. Spend the day answering questions etc. Great fun and the kids seem to like it.

I also do podcasts and a website on ancient history. It's kept me involved with the subject and I enjoy sharing the more unusual aspects of it with other people.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I consider my new found hobby slightly unusual, after inheriting 4 of them I have become obsessed with........Pocket watches. Loads of research on the internet reveals some interesting facts. They are worth next to nothing, not that I would sell them anyway and to have them serviced cost an arm and a leg. Just nice to look at, wind and see them working, well 3 out of 4 of them work.
So bore us all with your hobbies :wave:

I'm sure there is going to be an influx of unusual hobbies starting, now people are confined to their family units, especially where the internet is concerned :wink:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I collect knives. Mostly slipjoint penknives that are legal carry in the UK but I have a number of lockers and fixed blades. I also customise knives, mainly changing the scales (the wood/plastic bits on the handle).
Have you seen the TV show Forged In Fire?

It wouldn't normally be my thing at all, but there is something fascinating about watching people's skill at turning random bits of metal into knives.

Some of the historic weapons they recreate in the final round are stunning pieces of art as well, aside from their functionality.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I remember selling a CIB copy of Banjo-Tooie a few years ago on eBay and was staggered at the price it reached.

Oh it's frightening how much they can go for - i've a small fund I use for picking up games (and I try to be really strict with how much i'll pay) but there are some like Banjo-Tooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Party 3 etc that regularly crash into £100+ and that can be just for the cart :mad:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Oh it's frightening how much they can go for - i've a small fund I use for picking up games (and I try to be really strict with how much i'll pay) but there are some like Banjo-Tooie, Conkers Bad Fur Day, Mario Party 3 etc that regularly crash into £100+ and that can be just for the cart :mad:

I had Conker's too!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Roll20? Decent site, imo. My friends and I use it for our Harnmaster campaign as (at one stage) we were all in different continents. I haven't played D&D for years - started off on AD&D at the start of the 80's, then migrated to 2nd ed, but by then we had tried Runequest and liked it, then found HM and that really suited the way we wanted to play. It also comes with a modern day equivalent, Gunmaster, so you can really really mix it all up.

Yes. Moving to Roll20 rather than face-to-face. Also use Tabletop Simulator.

Started with Basic & Expert D&D before moving to AD&D. Also a long time player of Call of Cthulhu. In the last few years I been changing system every 6m or so (we rotate games regularly and try out different things a lot!) Including recently running a completely home-brewed system. Back in 5e D&D for now. Normal game suspended but writing a Coronavirus-themed campaign to play while we're all locked down.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Yes. Moving to Roll20 rather than face-to-face. Also use Tabletop Simulator.

Started with Basic & Expert D&D before moving to AD&D. Also a long time player of Call of Cthulhu. In the last few years I been changing system every 6m or so (we rotate games regularly and try out different things a lot!) Including recently running a completely home-brewed system. Back in 5e D&D for now. Normal game suspended but writing a Coronavirus-themed campaign to play while we're all locked down.

Very topical! We tried a home brew system for a while that we named Hydra - we tried to include all the elements of the games we have played over the years. A very GM intensive game, as the PC's had no idea what their skills stats and scores were, just knew that they were "poor" or "Ok" or "very good" at something - GM had to keep track secretly, but if freed up the players from trying to game the system or get too bogged down in that and allowed them to concentrate on Rping.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Very topical! We tried a home brew system for a while that we named Hydra - we tried to include all the elements of the games we have played over the years. A very GM intensive game, as the PC's had no idea what their skills stats and scores were, just knew that they were "poor" or "Ok" or "very good" at something - GM had to keep track secretly, but if freed up the players from trying to game the system or get too bogged down in that and allowed them to concentrate on Rping.

My homebrew was a rules-lite survival game set during the cold war, in an arctic research station (well, a few of them actually) and during a zombie outbreak, with the party having to survive, work out what happened and what to do about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here