Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Who has got an unusual HOBBY?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I consider my new found hobby slightly unusual, after inheriting 4 of them I have become obsessed with........Pocket watches. Loads of research on the internet reveals some interesting facts. They are worth next to nothing, not that I would sell them anyway and to have them serviced cost an arm and a leg. Just nice to look at, wind and see them working, well 3 out of 4 of them work.
So bore us all with your hobbies :wave:

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I enjoy geocaching, both finding them and hiding them. It's fun being taken to random locations and searching for well hidden caches as you get out and you never know what you'll see.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I consider my new found hobby slightly unusual, after inheriting 4 of them I have become obsessed with........Pocket watches. Loads of research on the internet reveals some interesting facts. They are worth next to nothing, not that I would sell them anyway and to have them serviced cost an arm and a leg. Just nice to look at, wind and see them working, well 3 out of 4 of them work.

Great if you have plenty of time on your hands. :wink:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Love my pocket watch. It's a ladies', so fits nicely in the little pocket you get in jeans (which apparently, as I didn't know and have just looked it up - is actually a watch pocket put there by Levi Strauss in 1879). I was in a pub with some colleagues (in those far off days when pubs were open) and got out my watch to see how long I had before the bus went. One colleague was astonished, whereas another who has known me longer just said 'might have known..'

Have you looked inside the back cover - many of them have dates/initials from when they were serviced and by whom.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Love my pocket watch. It's a ladies', so fits nicely in the little pocket you get in jeans (which apparently, as I didn't know and have just looked it up - is actually a watch pocket put there by Levi Strauss in 1879). I was in a pub with some colleagues (in those far off days when pubs were open) and got out my watch to see how long I had before the bus went. One colleague was astonished, whereas another who has known me longer just said 'might have known..'

Have you looked inside the back cover - many of them have dates/initials from when they were serviced and by whom.
Yes I know, getting to know the date marks, makers mark's and what metal, white metal sterling or plate metal, gold ect ect. Some have past owners, jeweller, servicers names scratched in the back. You find out which makes are good the bad and the indifferent. Great little hobby which extends to Pocket watch boxes to house them in, very often more expensive than the watches themselves

I tell ya.....I am obsessed with them now

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Yes I know, getting to know the date marks, makers mark's and what metal, white metal sterling or plate metal, gold ect ect. Some have past owners, jeweller, servicers names scratched in the back. You find out which makes are good the bad and the indifferent. Great little hobby which extends to Pocket watch boxes to house them in, very often more expensive than the watches themselves

I tell ya.....I am obsessed with them now

My chiming clock (which I swapped in a junk shop in Farnham Surrey for my NatWest pig collection - best swap I ever did) is just coming up to it's hundredth birthday. You think watches are expensive to service...!

You may be interested to know that the pen I most frequently use dates from 1916 (Waterman PSF 12 1/2), and the others are all pre-1950 (mainly the 1920s). Seems a natural extension to your watch hobby, as it's all about pre-computer things that work and that you can understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here